Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwhitney1256 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Rent increase with signed lease?
    Living in Tioga county PA. My daughter is about 7 months into her 3 yr lease. She received a visit from her landlord. He stated that she was in violation of her lease. The violations would have to be corrected and her rent is going up $50 a month. She has a signed 3 yr lease that includes the rent amount. can he raise the rent without renewing the lease?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 06:00 PM
    The landlord is not allowed to increase the rent until the end of the term of the lease unless the lease contains a paragraph that specifically allows the landlord to increase the rent in the middle of the term.

If she is in violation of any of the lease terms then the landlord has to give her written notice that gives her a state-specified period to cure the violations or move out. If she doesn't cure the violations within that time then the landlord can file a lawsuit for eviction. At the trial the landlord will have to prove to the judge that the tenant violated the terms of the lease. If he can prove it to the satisfaction of the judge then the landlord will get a judgment to evict her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 13, 2008, 06:04 PM
    In other words, the landlord is full of it. What alleged violations are there?

Jul 13, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Thanks Lisa,

Jul 13, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Scott,
    We put a washer and dryer in her kitchen. Both electric with the dryer vent going into one of those water vent things. Then her boyfriend spent a couple of nights. He claims both are a lease violation. No where in the lease does it say anything about either one.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Other than her moving somebody or a pet in when a lease says nobody else or any pets can live there he is as Scott said full of it. Even then the landlord really shouldn't just be able to raise the rent just like that. She needs to tell him to show her IN the lease exactly what she supposedly violated and where in her lease it states it is cause to raise the rent.

Landlords Rent Increase - Notice Requirements and Limitations Rental

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase with lease renewal [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a limit to the percentage of increase in rent with a lease renewal in Florida?

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Need to cancel lease signed today to rent home [ 3 Answers ]

I am leaving bad relationship and have signed a lease today To rent a house that is is a dump. Since I signed just a few hours ago, can I get out Of this on some kind of grace period?:eek:

Rent Increase at Lease Renewal [ 3 Answers ]

I live in California and I need to know how much the rent can be increased when renewing a lease. I do not live in a rent controlled area.

Never signed lease. Behind on rent. [ 6 Answers ]

Never signed lease on current apartment. Current apartment #10 wasn't available when I moved. Landlord gave me smaller apartment #5 (I did sign lease on #5) & I then moved into #10 a month later. (He just handed over keys to #10). Due to a whole different mess, my checks to landlord didn't go...

View more questions Search