Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbie711 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 12:44 PM
    My husband was laid off from his job a month ago. We have requested our 401l to roll it over to mutal funds to another company 8 days ago. They said they had sent it 5 days ago! NOTHING ! We have called countless times but all we hear is"The checks in the mail.
    What can we do legaly.
    Thank you... Bobbie:)
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 13, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Did your husband ask his employer or better yet, the 401(k) provider how long it would take? It seems that 8 days is not unreasonable to me, however, that is just my opinion... but why be concerned about a few days delay unless it's a substantial amount and besides, you are not having the check sent directly to you... right?. it's being sent to your new retirement company right ? If it's being sent directly to you then expect 20 % percent to be withheld for taxes... you may or may not owe the taxes but it will be withheld per IRS regulations and then when you file your tax return... that will be when you pay or do not pay. I know this does not answer your question but again, I do not consider 8 days unreasonable... if they said they mailed it 5 days ago, ask them to issue another check and see where that goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Tax on 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I was 59 1/2 when I drew out my 401k. I paid fed tax on this, when I filed my taxes h&r block added the total amt back to my earnings. I had the form showing where it was already taken out. Was this the right thing to do? Sounds like being double taxed. Thank you. Myra

401K or Roth 401K [ 3 Answers ]

Hai, I am an Indian, presently working for a USA company. I will be in US for next 2-3 years and then I will return back to my country. My employer gave the option to enroll for 401K plan or Roth 401k or a combination of both. And the employer matches my contribution at the rate of 50cents on a...

Should I go for 401k? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am an Indian national who got 2 yr visa for Studies in US(f1). After completing my degree, I am employed by a wall street bank as an associate. They have a 401k program in which they will not match my contribution for the first year but after that to an extent(5% of income). I have no...

View more questions Search