Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 12:42 PM
    How Many Romex Cables through one Clamp ?
    Hi There...

So I installed my new 200 Amps main service panel. Now, I have 40 romex cables that will be connected inside the panel. However, the panel has only 7 cut outs for clamps on top and bottom. One is 2", 3 are 3/4" and 3 are 1/2".

My question is: can I run romex cable in bundle through the 2" clamp ? Like 20 - #14's ? Same with 1/2" and 3/4" ?

Thank you
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 12:53 PM
    There are dual clamps available as well as adapters that adapt larger knockouts to smaller ones. Finally, you can either punch or use a Unibit to make knockouts.

For the initial hole try to use a bullet bit by Black and Decker or a pilot point bit. They don't do stupid things like make triangular holes and pull your drill into the box when you break through. Use a drill stop (a collar around the drill) to reduce the depth of penetration.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 02:01 PM
    You have a new panel with ONLY those knockouts?? What kind of panel is this?

Most typical two-screw NM connectors will accept two (sometimes three) cables. The carton will tell you.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Stan40Man: I have Murray 200 Amps. It is "skinny" panel split into halves, lengh-wise in the middle. Left side is enclosed for clock and main supply from the street. Right side is the side with breakers. I have 7 knock-outs on top, 7 on the bottom. There are 2 on side, but they are covered by framing.

Jul 13, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Ohhhh, it's an outdoor panel. That explains it.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 05:33 PM
    KISS and Stan,

This is a question not a statement.

Wouldn't drilling or making you own knock out holes amount to modification of electrical equipment and void its "approved" rateing or status?

Just wondering.

Jul 13, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Actually no, not at all.

Most commercial and industrial panels have NO KO's at all. You have to drill/punch everything on site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a decent clamp meter [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking to buy a decent clamp meter. In case I'm using the wrong term, here's a picture of what I'm referring to: http://www.globalspec.com/NpaPics/31/90923_031020041314_ExhibitPic.jpg The thing is, I'm kind of confused by all the choices out there. I'm looking to spend a maximum...

Riser clamp [ 2 Answers ]

After reading a bunch of questions and answers on this forum, I think that I need to use a riser clamp. My problem is that I have been unable to find a riser clamp at the local home improvement stores. Do "riser clamps" have a different name? Or are they relatively uncommon (i.e. not stocked...

Calibrating clamp temp probe? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a UEI Multi meter and use a pipe clamp type temp sensor for Superheat and Subcooling... How can I make sure it is accurate? Would it be internal on my Electric meter or on the Clamp? I can't seem to find any info. I know reg temp sensor ice water would be good for 32*. Can I get the clamp...

200 amp cables [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a maximum length for a electrical line from my 400 amp service panel to a 200 amp service panel in my detached garage. I would like to run the cable through the attic and outside then to the garage and the 200 amp panel. The detached garage is approximately 10 feet from the house. Thanks

Need flange clamp for old toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an old raised-tank toilet in the basement of a house I just bought. The bowl was clamped to the drain line coming up from the floor by a wire 2-piece clamp that tightened with 4 nuts. The clamp was totally rusted and one of the bolts broke off when I bumped it. I took a picture of the...

View more questions Search