Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 13, 2008, 10:13 AM
    "Evolution" or "Origin of the Universe" and religion
    N0help4u asked me elsewhere to explain as to how I believe this earth came into being.

Well : as belief has religious connotations, I do not BELIEVE that the earth came into being by any deity doing a once-only job in only 6 days. Mainly because I do not see any need for deities to exist, nor objective supported evidence for the existence of such deities.

Evolution is just a physical process involving evolution, biology, and lot's of time.
    The origin of the universe is a cosmological process involving also lot's of time.
    If people like Nohelp4u want to know more about evolution , why don't they ask for that?
    And if people like Nohelp4u want to know more about the origin of the universe, why don't they ask for that?
    Why always ask indirect questions, and combine that with a religious connotation like the "belief" argument ?

:)

·
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 10:19 AM
    I have asked you several times through the years WHAT DO YOU believe.
    How do YOU think the earth came into being?
    What is your thoughts on evolution?
    What and how do you think we started as and progressed to?

Think/believe either or is YOUR belief on the way you think it happened
    Doesn't look like you gave much of an answer here either.

So are you going to answer since I just asked?
    -

Jul 13, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I have asked you several times through the years WHAT DO YOU believe.
    Linda : and I have answered that already many times : I do not believe anything in regards to religious matters. Note that I do not mind that people believe. I only dislike people trying to convince me of their belief - specially once I have clearly informed them not to be interested. So please rephrase your questions in the future : I do NOT BELIEVE in anything religious.

The origin on the universe is not something you believe in, except for those who believe in religious creation.

How do YOU think the earth came into being?
    It is not what I THINK. Science has a perfect and objective supported explanation on how almost every solar system is born. And I accept that explanation as most probable.
    A near by star passing through the galactic disk disturbed and/or a super nova influenced a gas cloud , which resulted in collapse of that cloud into several centers, each center becoming a solar system. Our telescopes clearly show that process happening all around our galaxy and everywhere in the universe.

What is your thoughts on evolution?
    It is not what I THINK. Science clearly proved that over time all life forms we see today on earth evolved from only two cells. One "Eve" cell provided the basis of all DNA in each living cell, except for the DNA in each mitochondrion (the powerhouse of each cell), as that DNA seems to have resulted from an early capture and absorption of another living cell into the "Eve" cell. (See below the graphic on cell lay-out)

What and how do you think we started out as and progressed to?
    Please clearly and precisely explain what you are asking here. This is extremely unclear.

Please clearly and precisely explain what you are asking here. This also is extremely unclear.

So are you going to answer since I just asked?
    I never refused to answer any of your questions. But as long as you keep harping about belief or the euphemism you use now (think / thoughts), all I can say is that I do not believe - at least not in religious based explanations.
    The problem is yours, with your unclarity of questioning, and with trying to add belief into items like standard scientific subjects that do not require any religious belief connotations, like evolution and origin of the universe.

Like my topic question clearly stated : if you want to know my thoughts on a topic, just ask me. But do not try to add a religious meaning on to that !

:rolleyes:

·
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 05:45 PM
    XxxDoesn't look like you gave much of an answer here either ---xxx meant to delete sorry.
    ***Please clearly and precisely explain what you are asking here. This also is extremely unclear.

I NEVER said believe IN
    I say what do you believe
    AS IN
    Dictionary:
    Believe
    (bĭ-lēv') pronunciation

v. -lieved, -liev·ing, -lieves.

1. To accept as true or real: Do you believe the news stories?
    2. To credit with veracity: I believe you.
    3. To expect or suppose; think: I believe they will arrive shortly.

BY what do you THINK I mean what scientific things do you adhere to as what you think is the beginning of life and the universe
    ---------

What and how do you think we started as and progressed to?
    ***Please clearly and precisely explain what you are asking here. This is extremely unclear.

You answered it with the two cells and Eve
    --------
    ***Like my topic question clearly stated : if you want to know my thoughts on a topic, just ask me. But do not try to add a religious meaning on to that !

Whether you believe it or not I am capable of discussing issues separately (science/religion)

:D
    -

Jul 13, 2008, 06:59 PM
    If you do not ask questions properly, you will not get a proper reply either.
    I do not care about any definitions you get from whatever obscure dictionary on belief/believe.
    I answered to every line of your previous post, and still you complain...

Why not start commenting on what I already replied to you..?

·
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Doesn't look like you gave much of an answer here either.------meant to delete that line after I cut and pasted sorry :o

Not much to comment on yet

Two more ?'s
    What *scientific explanation put the planets together

Between the two cells to human form what are the steps in between

[science never was my better subject]
    -

Jul 13, 2008, 07:14 PM
    You can keep asking whatever you want. But when are you going to discuss my replies to what you asked before in this topic?
    If you do not do that, I will not waste my time on answering new questions posted by you.

Do you know the adage : "A fool can ask more questions than a wise man can answer" ?
    I will not say from myself that I am wise, but you surely ask a lot of (unclear) questions...

:D :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

·
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 13, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    It is not what I THINK. Science clearly proved that over time all life forms we see today on earth evolved from only two cells. One "Eve" cell provided the basis of all DNA in each living cell, except for the DNA in each mitochondrion (the powerhouse of each cell), as that DNA seems to have resulted from an early capture and absorption of another living cell into the "Eve" cell. (See below the graphic on cell lay-out)

·
    "prove it" show us the link ;)

I like they way they co-opt "eve" an obvious religious reference. :D
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 07:29 PM
    My comments:

Linda : and I have answered that already many times : I do not believe anything in regards to religious matters. Note that I do not mind that people believe. I only dislike people trying to convince me of their belief - specially once I have clearly informed them not to be interested. So please rephrase your questions in the future : I do NOT BELIEVE in anything religious.
    I know what you have to say about believe and religion! You have made that clear more than many times. I get it even if others do not.

The origin on the universe is not something you believe in, except for those who believe in religious creation.

It is not what I THINK. Science has a perfect and objective supported explanation on how almost each and every solar system is born. And I accept that explanation as most probable.
    A near by star passing through the galactic disk disturbed and/or a super nova influenced a gas cloud , which resulted in collapse of that cloud into several centers, each center becoming a solar system. Our telescopes clearly show that process happening all around our galaxy and everywhere in the universe.

It is not what I THINK.

I explained that in post #3
    BUT I have heard variations of how people interpret scientific evidence/fact
    Such as the big bang which you do not believe whereas others say it is science.
    SO THAT is why I ask you what you think

Science clearly proved that over time all life forms we see today on earth evolved from only two cells. One "Eve" cell provided the basis of all DNA in each living cell, except for the DNA in each mitochondrion (the powerhouse of each cell), as that DNA seems to have resulted from an early capture and absorption of another living cell into the "Eve" cell. (See below the graphic on cell lay-out)
    Okay that is a start to answering my questions but I still want to know the answers to my other two questions to get a better picture. Not much I can comment on on two cells.

I never refused to answer any of your questions. But as long as you keep harping about belief or the euphemism you use now (think / thoughts), all I can say is that I do not believe - at least not in religious based explanations.
    The problem is yours, with your unclarity of questioning, and with trying to add belief into items like standard scientific subjects that do not require any religious belief connotations, like evolution and origin of the universe.
    The sooner you understand that when I say believe it is the definition in #3 but you are so hung up on connecting religion and believe that you can't seem to see past that.

Please clearly and precisely explain what you are asking here. This is extremely unclear.

Jul 13, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Once again, scientists changing their minds and theories as new evidence comes about.

Comments by People in the News - Google News

The distance the eye migrates is directly related to the rate and degree of skull remodeling and bone ossification that occurs during metamorphosis, and these will vary with ecological conditions and, ultimately, with the responsiveness of metamorphic genes to thyroid hormone...

In effect, flatfish morphological asymmetry can be entirely dissociated from flatfish behavioral asymmetry!

So this scientist states eye changes occur in one lifetime, due to response to thyroid hormone, yet also postulates that it is behavior caused gene selection?

Which came first the gene or the behavior?

Fish Fossil May Resolve Questions On Natural Selection - Science - redOrbit

"This problem of the evolution of asymmetrical flatfishes was particularly puzzling to biologists because it was very hard to explain what evolutionary forces might have led to this transition," said Matt Friedman, the study’s author and a graduate student at the University of Chicago.

"How can you arrive at the pattern seen in living flatfishes via gradual evolution? There seems to be no adaptive reason to start down the gradual evolutionary path toward the flatfish condition, because surely these intermediates would not have any kind of evolutionary advantage," said Friedman, who also serves as a research associate at The Field Museum.

Some view this missing link as a flaw in the theory of natural selection. They argue that intermediate, transitional forms of the fish could not exist because there would be no survival benefit from having one eye that was slightly off center on the opposite side of the head.

Biologists subscribe to the “hopeful monster” theory, which says these changes occurred all at once through a large-scale mutation, which fortunately turned out to be very useful.

But Friedman's find indicates that flatfishes followed a more conventional evolutionary plan.

There is a broad implication for the tempo and mode of evolution here," Friedman said.

"Scientists had long assumed flatfishes must have arisen suddenly because they could not imagine the adaptive significance of intermediates, but this work delivers clear evidence that such intermediates did exist, and therefore, that flatfish asymmetry arose gradually."

Well which is it? Fast or slow, sudden or gradual?

Maybe 50 million years ago these flatfish had the same genes that allow for morphological changes in one lifetime, as described by the first link.

Jul 13, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Evolution is just a physical process involving evolution, biology, and lot's of time.

·
    Your sentence sure explains a lot? :p

Basketball is just a physical process involving basketball, biology, and lot's of time.

Or better yet

Sex is just a physical process involving sex, biology, and [ hopefullly :D ] lot's of time.
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 07:49 PM
    inthebox
    Pretty much why I am asking what he believes that science has to say

Jul 13, 2008, 07:52 PM
    YouTube - "Ooh Girl!" - An Honest R&B Song

After all , life, evolution or not, involves reproduction :D
    -

Jul 14, 2008, 03:59 AM
    .... BUT I have heard variations of how people interpret scientific evidence/fact such as the big bang which you do not believe whereas others say it is science.
    "... which you do not believe whereas others say it is science... "

One does not BELIEVE in science and it's findings. One accepts the scientific findings based on the objective supporting evidence on which these findings are based. So I say exactly the same as these "others".

The reason why people have to BELIEVE in for instance religion is that there is no objective supporting evidence for any iota of the religious dogmatic claims. That problem does not occur in scientific findings and theories, due to "the scientific method" used in the process.

okay that is a start to answering my questions but I still want to know the answers to my other two questions to get a better picture. Not much I can comment on on two cells.
    I have replied to your questions. That you do not like my replies is your problem. Not mine. I am open to discuss these answers, but you keep harping on about your personal views being different, and the consequences that you seem to have in the process of replying to my answers.

The sooner you understand that when I say believe it is the definition in #3 but you are so hung up on connecting religion and believe that you can't seem to see past that.
    The sooner you stop using the word "BELIEF" in regard to scientific theories and support, the earlier we can start debating. You fail to see that it is you yourself who is causing this problem.

... science never was my better subject]
    Don't worry on that : even sassyT has that problem, even when she claims to have a degree in biology...

:D · · :rolleyes: · · :p · · ;) · · :D

· ·
    -

Jul 14, 2008, 04:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Once again, scientists changing their minds and theories as new evidence comes about.
    That is the beauty of science : it has a sort of build-in checking program that ensures that the latest findings can be included in the scientific arguments.

That is indeed different than a period of over 2000 years of dogmatic wild claims that may not be debated, while there is not one single iota of objective supporting evidence for any of the dogmatic claims. Give me therefore science any second of the day above all that religious hot air !

As to the rest of your post : if you want to discuss the general approach towards science and scientific findings and theories: go ahead. If you want to continue with your anti-scientific approach please go to the Christianity board where there are a lot of creationist peers !

:D · · :rolleyes: · · :p · · ;) · · :D

· ·
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 05:24 AM
    I do not understand why you do not understand the difference between believe and believe IN
    Since you persist in making this a believe/religion babble page I find it useless to continue trying to have a discussion to educate my understanding of science here!

YOU are the one that KEEPS insisting you do not like Christians doing their religious/believe in babble but here I have not brought up religion, God or believe IN
    One single time and you KEEP talking on that when I am trying to get some scientific facts established on what YOU ACCEPT as far as the earth coming into being and people going
    From two cells to human form.

Since the word accept is the word you prefer over believe I will use that word so I do not further confuse YOUR hang up on the believe word.

I guess you have a double hang up on the word believe

1. one of those lost in translation words to your ears
    2. You insist believe is a religious word when it really becomes a religious connotation when it is stated believe IN

AGAIN to explain:

I say what do you believe
    AS IN
    Dictionary:
    Believe
    (bĭ-lēv') pronunciation

v. -lieved, -liev·ing, -lieves.

1. To accept as true or real: Do you believe the news stories?
    2. To credit with veracity: I believe you.
    3. To expect or suppose; think: I believe they will arrive shortly.

Not that I expect you to ever understand that.

I find it futile to furture reply until you answer my two questions. If you replied to them as you claim I sure don't see the replies.

Why do you assume I do not like your replies. I did not say I do not like your two cell explanation. So therefore I guess the problem is not mine. ***WHERE am I harping anything about my personal beliefs. It seems you are reading a lot into things!!

I have replied to your questions. That you do not like my replies is your problem. Not mine. I am open to discuss these answers, but you keep harping on about your personal views being different, and the consequences that you seem to have in the process of replying to my answers.

****Please post the exact verses on this post that you are referring to as my harping on what I believe.
    Any further babble on religion, belief and claiming I am saying things I have not said and I am not even replying

I thought YOU posted this so we could discuss science NOT Religion and you keep babbling about your interpretation of believe and religion. I haven't even brought up religion or what I believe once in this post.

As I have repeatedly stated here again and again is that I use the word believe in the
    I believe the scientist about mars having ice on it. That does NOT mean I believe IN the scientist, mars or ice.
    -

Jul 14, 2008, 06:17 AM
    I do not understand why you do not understand the difference between believe and believe IN
    I assume you mean here the noun BELIEF and the verb BELIEVE (in).
    I'm sorry, but I can not help you in understanding this better, other than in stating that the essence of any BELIEF is based on assumptions lacking any objective supported evidence.

Example : if you THINK or BELIEVE that Obama is the better guy for the job, you do that on subjective assumptions, not on any objective supported evidence. The same goes for all religious claims. Scientific findings are however based on scientific evidence, i.e. by objective supported evidence.

Since you persist in making this a believe/religion babble page I find it useless to continue trying to have a discussion to educate my understanding of science here!
    This is not a "page" but a topic, in which I referred to "Evolution" or "Origin of the Universe" and religion, as many people seem to have great difficulties in understanding the non-compatibility between religious approach/belief and science and the scientific method.

If you have questions on Evolution or on the Origin of the Universe, you have to address that from a scientific perspective.
    If you have a question on religious belief you have to address that from a specific religious perspective.
    But you can not address questions on scientific items and processes from a religious perspective, nor can you address questions on religion from a scientific perspective. Not if you intend to let the discussion have any logical sense at all.
    As as far science is concerned all religious thinking lacks any scientific support.

All these "debates" by theists on Evolution and/or the Origin of the Universe are not about these scientific theories at all, but about the theist BELIEF in an almighty deity with supra-natural powers, a BELIEF that clashes with scientific findings. Hence the empty argumentation and waste of time and energy caused by that.

:D ;) :p :rolleyes: :D

·
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 06:27 AM
    I simply asked you 2 questions

You have yet to reply to them, instead you prefer going over sematics of words instead of answering, when I am sure you understand what I mean no matter what words I use since I have explained my perspective of the word(s) repeatedly here.
    We are already up to reply #17 and all you can do is babble over words.
    Page, topic who cares!! It is a topic on a page you started!

Start a grammar topic or get back to the subject thank you!!

-

Jul 14, 2008, 06:46 AM
    I simply asked you 2 questions What *scientific explanation put the planets together . Between the two cells to human form what are the steps in between
    Neither question has anything to do with "The origin of the Universe and religion", and "Evolution and religion" - which are the topics here.

If you really want to know the answer to your cosmological question on how planets came into being, ask that at the science board (where I will reply to it from a scientific perspective).

If you really want to know the answer to your evolution question on in between steps of evolution, ask that at the science board too (where I again will reply to it from a scientific perspective).

Here your questions have nothing to do with the topic of "Evolution" and religion, or "Origin of the Universe" and religion.

The issue here is : does any religious approach towards scientific topics make any logical sense, as religious belief is based on hot air, while science is based on objective supported evidence ?

;)

·

PS : I'll be back later : I have better things to do with my time at this moment !

;)

·
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Then why the heck did you post the topic here
    Sounds like you were just looking for me to argue religion with you since this is now not the proper board for you to give me an answer. Sorry I do not argue religion I state my belief/ take it or leave it.

does any religious approach towards scientific topics make any logical sense, as religious belief is based on hot air, while science is based on objective supported evidence ?

Since this is your topic here I have no idea why you ever brought MY name into it. OR stated N0help4u asked me elsewhere to explain as to how I believe this earth came into being. ---Put together/came into being.

If your purpose was to answer my questions and you already must of decided that this was not the board to answer my questions then you were just looking for a debate. I have already stated several times the answer to your question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

View more questions Search