Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unclejohnny Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Missing w2
    One of the places I worked at has closed for good and I still haven't received my w2 from them, is there any place on net I can get a copy from?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2006, 11:32 AM
    By Federal Law a W2 has be delivered by 1/31 of the following year. You could try the IRS and see if they filed with them. Otherwise you would need to track down the owners or accountants of the firm.

Added:
    See Fred's response. He did some good research on this one. I flubbed it.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 02:17 PM
    Hi,
    You don't have to "track down" anyone if you have saved some of your paycheck stubs, etc.
    Louisiana, hit by Katrina, is one state that is heavily involved with this type of issue. Some business are no longer in business.
    "If a taxpayer cannot obtain the documents after attempting to contact the employer, the IRS says the taxpayer should file Form 4852. Form 4852 is the substitute for Form W-2. It is called "Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance contracts, etc."

http://www.louisianaweekly.com/weekl...e.pl?20060213i

The above quote is from the above link; concering no W2's to file! The quote applies to everyone, not just anyone from Louisiana. The link also explains what you need to send it to IRS with your tax return.
    Other links can be found with the same info by searching "file taxes without W2".
    It is allowed by the Fed. Gov't if you cannot contact your old business or company; providing of course, you have copies or proof to file.
    Here is another link, from a TV New station report:
    http://www1.wsvn.com/features/articl...wrong/DBM1099/
    It also says if you don't have the W2 Form, and can't get it, you can file anyway, even if you have to "guesstimate" your income and withholdings.
    Best of luck.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2006, 12:27 AM
    Filing a tax return based on guesses is not a real good idea. Ask the IRS for a copy of your 2005 tax script. You may be able to determine your W-2 income from that.

If not, then use the Form 4852.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missing the Ex [ 10 Answers ]

I really love my ex and I can't seem to stop thinking about him. I can go for a while thinking I'm over him, but then, if I'm tired or not busy, thoughts and memories come swarming into my head. He broke up with me just over a year ago, and I haven't seen him since. He's never seemed to want...

What am I missing here? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My question, Is there something more going on in my life than I am not aware of and if so what is it exactly? I feel its staring me in the face but I can't quite grasp what it all is. My brother past on a few years ago and I feel it has a lot to do with him. Hope you can help. Thank...

My cat has gone missing. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so I have had my cat "Cassie" since I was 7yrs old - she is my baby. She is now 14yrs and is always stuck to me like glue. Waits for me to get home and is always asleep on my bed and never venture far from our house whilst outside. All of a sudden she has just vanished. We have a...

Missing each other [ 1 Answers ]

Will the relationship with my b/f lead to marriage? And will we spend time in each others country? We both feel we are each others soul mates.Me oct 3/61, he is jan 18/61

View more questions Search