Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jam1 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 08:55 PM
    attaching properly gas flex pipe to gas pipe and gas stove
    How do I properly attach the flex pipe to the gas stove on one end and the supply pipe on the other end? Do I need a gas poxy? If so what is the proper method of application--on both sides of the attachments (flex pipe and gas supply pipe/stove) or on just one, how much is enough? How tight do I screw the connection? Then when I switch on the turn off value, I test with soap and water for bubbles?
    thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 09:10 PM
    These are flare fittings. Snug. Tighten no more than 1/2 turn. Check for leaks. Tighten, no more than 1/4 turn at a time. Use two wrenches.

There is a soap solution available that will be better than mixing a tiny amount dishwashing detergent and water.

Pipe threads are tapered. You can use only Yellow teflon tape or a pipe sealing compound suitable for gas lines. Tighten 2 full turns past finger tight. A pipe wrench and an adjustible wrench will be essential.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Gas flex come with two loose fittings, one on each end. One is male IP to flare, the other is female IP to flare. Since you are using gas valve which already has one flare fitting attached to its outlet, you will use only one fitting. That fitting will go on the stove. It is Female to Flare. Whatever you do, don't mount gas flex directly on to IP nipple. Install as per KeepItSimpleStupid instructions. Connect flex connecting gas valve and stove. Test for leaks.

It is a good practice to install longer gas flex on stoves. We use 4' to 5' flex line. That's because you want to install it with stove pulled out. Once is flex on , push stove in its opening. Gas flex will curl behind the stove. Guide it with your hand it so it won't get pinched and kinked.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Hi all:

In my area we are required to use a 3 foot flexible gas connector (see picture below). I am a big guy and hate this length requirement... here, I have to make final connection with stove 1/2 way into place and I'll tell you in a few years won't be able to do the big DISMOUNT from behind stove and over the counter. I actually throw my hands up and do an official dismount for my customers after I finish these...*smirk*.

However, if allowed in your area I agree with Milo that a 4 or 5 foot connector makes your job easier.

KISS and Milo covered the connecting part very well... ;) Just be sure NOT to use pipe dope or anything to seal the FLARED joints! Be clear that you need pipe dope (non teflon based) for the threaded joints and the threaded fittings of the connector... just not on the flare joints themselves. In fact, the connector will state it right on the tag..ok?

The only reason I really popped in was to remind JAM1 to install the anti-tip device (see pic. Of one type below) provided with the stove. This simple device saves lives and only takes a minute to install properly!

Jam1.. any questions on the anti-tip device let us know OK.. If need more info. On the gas connections just pop back and ask away!

Have a good day all!

MARK
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 11:13 AM
    As Massplumber says the anti-tip-device is a very good idea, click on the link below to see, Thanks.

John

http://download.sears.com/misc/RangeAntiTipDevice.pdf
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 11:56 AM
    MassPlumber2008: yep, the older we get - the more we appreciate longer flex pipes. That is true especially when stove is being installed between two cabinets :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attaching a gas pipe to a new gas stove [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new gas stove replacing an electric stove. How do I correctly attach the gas line?

Attaching a shower pan to a copper drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a shower replaced by a local contractor. He installed a PVC pan to my old copper drain. Needless to say it leaks. He doesn't understand why? I believe that the correct way should have been to cut the copper drain and install a PVC pipe to the shower. Can someone help explain...

Vent pipe for propane gas stove [ 3 Answers ]

Could anyone tell me when venting a gas stove do I only need to use typeB vent to go through the wall and regular vent the rest of the way.

Attaching ferrell to pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to connect the ice maker in the my refrigerator to the kitchen water line. I am not sure how to properly connect the compression nut and ferrell to the copper piping. How do I do it properly? Do I simply clamp down on the ferrell with a pair of pliers to connect it to the pipe?

Attaching Flex Natural Gas line. [ 2 Answers ]

I am attaching a new fex gas line to a new cook top. The new line comes with flare fittings that screw into the flex hose fitting. Should I use any sealant on the threads of the flare fitting. Thanks.

View more questions Search