Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ktleborg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Ceiling fan/light from one switch to two
    Hi everybody. I want to replace one overhead track light controlled by one switch with a ceiling fan combo with 2 switches controlling the fan and light separately. I purchased a new box, another light switch, a faceplate, and some wiring today but I wanted to get some advice before I get into it. Thanks a million!

The fan I purchased is a Hunter The Stratford II if it makes a difference.:D
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 05:56 PM
    The switch you purchased, how many wires does it have? Did it come with the fan, or with a receiver, or by itself?

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 07:30 PM
    What kind of box did you buy, switch box, a ceiling box or ceiling fan box? What kind of wire? Is the track light on a 15 amp circuit or a 20 amp circuit?

Jul 12, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Wow I was way too general, sorry about that.

The Switches were purchased at Lowe's separately and are ordinary single pole interruptor switches with ground. I see 2 clamps on the back for wires and a green one for ground. The fan doesn't have a remote.

The box I bought is a plain gang box with three slots to put my switches in. Two for the fan and one for the half hot power outlet in the wall. That third one is on a different circuit. The track lighting is now operated by a dimmer switch but I am losing that all together and putting in the two single pole switches. The wire is 14/2 600v with ground. The track light is on a 15 amp circuit.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    denman Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Your amperage should be fine. But in order to run fan and light separately you'll need a third wire going from switch location to fan location: white being the neutral to both devices, and other 2 (black and whatever other color used)being the hot wires to the fan and light. The easiest fix would be to purchase a remote for the unit. That way you can use the existing 2 conductor wire and the receiver you'll put at the fan will break the power to the separate units for you. Fairly easy to install.

Jul 13, 2008, 05:04 PM
    I will search for remotes this week and give it a go. Thank you very much.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 05:22 PM
    The ceiling box should be a box designed to hang a fan from. Definitely not a plastic ceiling box.
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 05:36 PM
    I agree. You will have to either run additional wire between the switches and the fan, or use a different type of switch setup. Or just be content with one switch.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 05:38 PM
    I don't recommend a handheld remote though, too problematic. Get a receiver/wall switch kit.

Jul 16, 2008, 11:34 PM
    Hi guys. I ended up just installing with one switch. After a trip up to the attic it turned out that I was going to have to go down the wall and then over and then up to get to the light switch if I wanted the new wire to track with the existing wires. I thought it wasn't quite worth the hassle and voilą... it is installed.

Just wanted to let everyone know this issue was resolved and that I appreciate the time and thought invested to help me.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Glad you got it working. I probably would have done the same :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan light switch [ 4 Answers ]

Installed a ceiling fan and it doesn't have a pull switch for turning light kit on and off. I have a wall switch when you turn it on the fan and the lights come on. I drilled a hole in the kit and mounted a two wire pull switch. Inside the light kit I have a black wire and blue wire tied...

Ceiling fan light switch [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change the switch controlling the light in a ceiling fan?

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Ceiling fan light switch [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older ceiling fan that works well, except the light switch appears to be broken. The pull chain will not turn on the light. Can the internal light switch be changed or must I buy a new ceiling fan?

View more questions Search