Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 12:26 AM
    Bananas and milk
    I just had this weird memory of my bio mom feeding me a chopped up banana in a bowl, sprinkled with sugar and milk poured over it, like cold cereal except minus the cereal. I've never eaten this as a teen or an adult, and I forgot all about it until just now. Is this something that other people eat too? Just curious.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 02:11 AM
    I have never eaten this before, but my mum used to chop up a banana put it in a bowl and spinkle sugar over it. I think it was her way of trying to encourage me to eat something that was good and healthy for me. I never used to like bananas and I still don't - but my mums way of trying was by putting sugar on it - but even with her efforts it still didn't work. Bless her for trying though xx
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 05:22 AM
    Hi, Orange,
    Copped up banana, with milk and sugar. Sounds good.
    I've never eaten this either, without cereal added to it.
    Either I read the answer previous to this one wrong, or DJ said she hadn't, then said she had! Anyway, it does sound good.
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 05:32 AM
    I have enver had it with milk - that's what I was trying to say - sorry! Very tired, not really with it.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Hey, DJ,
    It's hard sometimes to read everything; I do it, too.
    Hope you get some rest, and hope you have a great day.
    Best wishes.
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 06:18 AM
    Cheers Fredg
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Thanks guys.. hmmm. Weird. I wonder if my mom made it up herself? I searched on Google for a while last night and couldn't find anything about it, either.
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Apr 1, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Hi all

Yes. I can remember having banana with milk as a child - I think it may have been one of the earliest and cheapest fresh fruits available in the post war days.

On a similar refrain, one use of bananas I brought back to the UK with me from Brazil was banana plus any other fruits available, "blitzed" with milk - (we never added sugar). The kids loved it and it is as popular these days with thr grand-kids. We have always used the Brazilian term "vitaminas" but of course it is more commonly known as "smoothies" these days. (Wish I had had the idea of marketing it!! ) ;)
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2006, 12:13 PM
    Oh thanks Jonegy! It's not a big deal really but it makes me feel better to know someone else has heard of this too!
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Apr 5, 2006, 02:36 PM
    I had this as a kid in the late 40's - early 50's, it definitely was the cheapest kind of "fresh fruit" everything else was canned (postwar rationing).
    True luxury was replacing the regular milk with tinned condensed milk which was much creamier.
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Apr 5, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Hi Zipper - thanks for the reminder - Condensed was the creamy white milk - so Evaporated was the thick ultra sweet yellow-ish one which we kids (when our parents backs were turned) made into sandwiches. I am now cringing just at the thought of it!! :D
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2006, 07:46 PM
    You people are making me sick to my gut! YUUUUUUCCCCK!
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 18, 2006, 10:51 PM
    :)
    I LOVE condensed milk, but I keep away ; that's because I wouldn't like the see to crying it's eyes out because I'm not there
    Millie :(
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Milk is really nasty stuff that's not too good for you I am afraid. But, to each their own. Hi Milliec! How are things going in G*D's country?

Apr 19, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Milk is really nasty stuff that's not too good for you I am afraid. But, to each their own. Hi Milliec! How are things going in G*D's country?
    1.milk - we have friends who decided to stay on a macrobiotic diet 35 yrs. Ago one of the things they haven't touched since, is milk. They say that milk induces the epithelia in different organs (like the nose) to secret more fluids. According to them' it's enough to stop drinking milk, and that's it.
    But - I LOVE milk!
    (especially condensed!)
    2. god's land - feels like we have to thank daily if we make it safe back home. Not just the neverending war, but crime is getting worst my the minute
    And as you know, we t had another suicide bomb this week - otherwise:
    The weather is at it's best, the whole country looks like god's huge garden
    And it seems that everyone's on the beach
    Bye,
    Millie:)

Apr 19, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Magprob, N:) !
    Now you've got to!
    M.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 19, 2006, 11:13 AM
    While I have seen it done, I do not eat it myself. My great gran used to eat this as well as crackers with milk in a bowl. I think it is a depression era food.

Hypatia
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Oh that's interesting about it being a depression era food, Hypatia. My mother was born after the depression, but perhaps she got it from her mother. Thanks for your response!
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2006, 05:02 PM
    Milliec, That was a bad typo... I should have checked it and I can't edit it! Yikes! I am sorry... I meant pus.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2006, 05:14 PM
    Blah... pus?? That's sick. Yuuuuuck. I don't want to drink milk anymore haha.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much sugar is in milk? [ 12 Answers ]

How many grams of sugar does an 8 ounce glass of milk provide?

Milk Production [ 6 Answers ]

Just wondering if anyone has had this experience. My females teets are getting big. She had puppies 5 months ago, and they had almost gone back to normal up until she went into estrus. They usually get bigger after a heat cycle then go back down. She was in heat about 4 weeks ago they never really...

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

Got Breast Milk? [ 2 Answers ]

This is a little embarrassing. My boobies are feeling heavy and swoll up. Im also leaking fluid from them. There is no way that I am pregnant because I have not been sexually active in 3 years. My children are both also 5 and 6 years old. Is this my body trying to tell me something? Maybe Im...

Cats and milk [ 2 Answers ]

In the 1950's I remember that we used to feed our pet cat milk or cream (if they were lucky) almost exclusively. That was thought to be what they ate, and we had several cats that lived for years on cow's milk. Now my cat won't touch milk and I read that cat's are generally lactose intolerant...

View more questions Search