Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BectoWelch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Service Select Water heater shuts off
    We have a 4 year old Service Select hot water heater. The pilot refuses to stay lit. We can manually light it, it will run for 1/2 hour or so, then everything shuts down, including the pilot light. What can we do?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 10:21 AM
    I am not familiar with the term Service Select, since it is a gas water heater does it have a thermocouple, that is a safety device that is heated by the pilot, in case you didn't know what it is. Thermocoules have to have heat on them at all times or they will shut the gas system down. It is possible that your pilot is not burning high enough to keep the thermocouple hot therefore shuting down. It could be a draft that is blowing the flame away from the thermocouple. Or it could be a bad thermocouple.

All of the above applies to a heater with a thermocouple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State Select Hot water heater [ 9 Answers ]

I have a state select hot water heater. I am all of a sudden continuously hitting the reset button (in the hot water heater), any idea what is making this happen and can I replace the braker in the hot water heater. I am assuming it isn't the element because the water does get hot, that is until...

State Select Water Heater [ 3 Answers ]

We have a state select power vent water heater. Last October it stopped working and the plumber replaced the ignitor as the wires had shorted out. Then it happened again in the beginning of January 2008 and he again replaced the ignitor. Well, our water heater stopped working again today and the...

State Select Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

I emailed Robershaw who's thermostat is on your water heater, and they said I had to ask you about it, as they design stats for different companies. The stat has hot - very hot on the right side of the dial. Even in the 'hot' setting, the water is too hot. On the left side of the dial are the...

State select water heater [ 2 Answers ]

How do I adjust the water temp?

View more questions Search