Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    demonbrat711 Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 02:47 AM
    Homemade puppy food?
    So my morkie puppy(yorkie/Maltese) just recently turned 9 months... but anyway lol... I was looking up like homemade meals online for puppies didn't really find anything good... I want to make him something.. kind of like a treat but like a meal like once a week... I have boiled chicken and gave him a few pieces before but I feel like that's not enough its not cutting it lol... I don't know what to give him I don't know what I can give him and what I can't give him... if I make something from scratch.. it has to be simple because I don't have a lot of things to make I wanted to use chicken because I have a lot of chicken in my house lol... but I'm out of milk and eggs and the stuff online usually says milk of add an egg... so if you could give me a simple homemade meal that would be great.. oh and one more question is cooked rice okay for them?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 12, 2008, 03:17 AM
    Cooked rice is fine for dogs. A fortified brown rice is best if you have it, but any rice will be fine. Boiled chicken is great, and you can mix the rice in with the chicken. Just be careful, and don't feel like you have to spice is up. Salt is not good for your dog. DO NOT feed your dog anything that includes garlic, onions, raisins or grapes, popcorn, or CHOCOLATE! Also anything with milk will quite often give them diarrehea.

Here's a site that I've found very helpful, with everything from homemade food to training tips. (the name of the site is not what the site is all about)

- Dog Tricks Academy Lounge

Good luck! :)
    demonbrat711 Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 03:19 AM
    Thank you sooo much I don't have brown rice though is regular rice fine?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 12, 2008, 03:31 AM
    Regular rice is just fine too. The fortified rice or brown rice, just gives them more nutrients. Maybe you can try that the next time you need to buy rice again. They love the boiled chicken though, and if you have lots of it, that is great! It shouldn't be given in replace of a well balanced dog food, but they love it once a week or so as a special meal! :)

Just ask my little girl Niki... she says "woof...yep I do"!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 04:36 AM
    Do NOT use any onion, garlic, grapes or raisins.

Fish oil is important to help maintain the dogs joints
    You need to make sure you do a proper balance of Water, Carbohydrates, Proteins, Fats, Minerals, and Vitamins.

Pumpkin is good if your dog gets diarrhea
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 03:11 PM
    I make a lot of meals for my puppy from scratch, but I use extremely high quality puppy food too so that we're sure he's getting a balanced diet. I'm glad you asked this question because I'm looking for things I can make for him.

Before I begin, I should say that I live in a part of the world where our food is as fresh as it gets (like right to the incredible butcher 20 feet from the apartment and onto the plate), so there are things I feel comfortable giving our pup that I don't think I would be giving him if I were back home. Also, food and pet cultures are different here.

Anything I've been doing has been recommended and okayed by our breeder and our vet.

I'll give our puppy super fresh (and freshly ground, which is equally important) lean ground beef mixed with country bread (soaked in water) and a raw egg yolk three times a week. I also mix in a little corn or sunflower oil. I also like to mix some of this meal with his normal puppy food.

We've been told by the breeder and the vet that any rice should be very, very cooked, and then it must be washed thoroughly afterward to remove the heavy starches that can be difficult to digest. The same goes for pasta, which he can also eat.

Food rewards include fresh turkey (not cold cuts), baked or lightly boiled (no salt), cubed. He can also have some cheese (not the fake stuff).

Sometimes I will give him a carrot to chew on (he loves it) or some apple.

What's weird to me is that I have heard conflicting info about garlic. I have read that garlic is on the same list as chocolate, but our breeder told us that garlic/garlic powder is very good for dogs, and that garlic is a common ingredient in dog food. Does anyone know anything about this? Something else that confuses me is that our vet said he can eat seedless grapes, but I'm not giving them to our puppy because I've seen warnings against them (and raisins) online. What's going on here?

All recipes, ingredients and very well informed info are much appreciated!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 03:28 PM
    I can safely say that I live in a part of the world, in Ontario Canada, where our food is pretty fresh as well. Right now just down the road we have fresh grown produce that we just drive to in l0 minutes. Or so to pick up. Butcher is around the corner.

Carrots are really good for pups, especially when teething and they are kept in the fridge. Cheese is offered as a treat. Taffy gets a good grade dry dog food occasionally mixed with ground beef cooked to perfection to tempt her pallet.

Of course, taffy isn't a young dog, just about ll years old now in extremely good shape and gets plenty of exercise, which no one has mentioned yet, and that's strange, because it goes along with a good diet rich in all vitamins and minerals.

Oh, and she gets the occasional very large leg bone to chew on once in a while, that's why her teeth and gums are so good in her golden years. She weighs about 60 lbs. a very big, long, beautiful Walker Hound.
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 04:55 PM
    tickle, your post is inspiring! It's good to know that these things work so well. Also, a good local butcher is a blessing to any dog owner. I didn't have one that I knew of where I grew up, and they're becoming more and more of a luxury.

About those bones - a bunch of people told us that a cut from the knee is perfect, but I've been reading about "sterilized" bones. What are sterilized bones? I broke down and brought home a couple of knee pieces the other day, and then I washed them in cold water and trimmed off the softer bits. I thought about blanching them, but cooked bones are supposed to be dangerous. Does anyone know if that's right? I know that for sure when it comes to poultry.

Starbuck, thanks for the post. It looks like a good place for answers in general.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 12, 2008, 05:38 PM
    From the information that I have gathered over the yrs. grapes of all kinds are toxic to dogs and cats also.

If your dog happens to steal the occasional grape or raisin, this is really no need for major concern. It doesn't matter if the grapes were bought from a super market, or grown in your own yard. Grapes and raisins in moderate to large quantites however, can be fatal. They can cause kidney and renal failure. The symptoms would be apparent within a matter of hours. Vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and even sometimes if fed small amounts of grapes over a long period, I have heard can cause anorexia, in some dogs.

Another thing I have come across is the danger of mushrooms, although not all varieties are dangerous. I would be careful if walking your dog in the woods, or maybe if you're out camping and let your dog off the leash. Some varieties of mushrooms can cause liver failure. I just steer clear of them period, and don't give Niki anything that has mushrooms, onions, or large ammts of garlic. (I cook with a lot of garlic! )

I have also read that garlic in small ammts. can be helpful. It can guard off fleas and ticks. I think the consensus is, that garlic in small ammts. can be helpful, but if your dog is the type that will get into anything that is left within reach, that if a big jar of garlic is somehow spilled, or he gets into a bag of cloves hanging in your pantry, that it is potentially fatal.

I also thought I would post this number for the OP, and the rest if you don't have it. I don't know if this line is accessible in every country, but I have it pasted on my fridge just in case I need it. It is the equililent to the children's poison control/emerg center. Just a thought for all of you pet lovers! :)

1-900-680-0000

(However, they do charge for the call)
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Thank you starbuck! That was extremely informative, and what you wrote makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the contribution!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy won't eat dry food. [ 1 Answers ]

My 13 week old German Shepard puppy will not eat her kibble. I've taken her to the vet and she is healthy. I have tried several brands of kibble including what she was fed by the breeder I am really getting worried. I have tried wetting her food, putting a tablespoon of wet and even chicken broth...

Puppy food [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best puppy food for an 8 week old dalmatian?

Homemade cat food recipe [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I just ran out of cat food and I really don't feel like driving uptown, so does anyone have a easy cat food recipe?

Dry food or wet food for puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got an 8 week old Daschund puppy and I'm not sure if I should give him wet food or dry food? Thank You. :confused:

Right Puppy Food [ 7 Answers ]

I just got a registered black lab puppy and he's two months old. I have had him for three weeks. He came to us on pedigree and now we switched him to purina, now he has the runs! So should I switch him back or is there a better brand I should feed him? Thank you

View more questions Search