Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vemaye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Renter's insurance
    Is renter's insurance coverage mandatory in Florida?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 05:20 PM
    No, but it is a great idea to have it considering all the break ins and the hurricanes Florida has. Can you afford to lose all your clothes, furniture, and stuff to a burglar or a storm?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Actually I just thought of something you need to check. It's probably not mandatory on a state level, but if your state law doesn't prohibit it, your landlord may be able to require it by stating so in the lease. That's how it is in Texas.

There's a link to each state's landlord/tenant property code at the top of this forum.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 13, 2008, 04:39 PM
    I do not think it mandatory in FL but agree with the first answer... ask yourself if you can afford to lose all your possessions to a thief or a storm" plus can you afford the hotel, food until you can find another place to rent and can you afford to pay the medical bills of anyone injured on your premises and can you afford to defend yourself in a lawsuit if you are accused of being negligent should one of your guests be injured on your premises? Renter's insurance cover more than just fire, theft, vandalism.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 04:53 PM
    It is not a state law BUT, there are many apartment complexes that do require it for you to move into their complex. I would not want to live somewhere without it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do renter's have any rights in a foreclosure? [ 2 Answers ]

We have been renting a home in Lee County, Florida for more than 6 months and have a lease on our home. We paid $4000 upon moving in and have been paying $1250 ever since. We recently found out that our landlord has not been paying the mortgage on our home and it is now in foreclosure. Is there...

Damage to renter's property [ 3 Answers ]

Question, I just moved to a place for 3 months and didn't have a chance to purchase renter's insurance. We just had a flood in our basement which damaged our property, the flood was coming from an abandoned property next door, the insurance is only covering the property but is our landlord liable...

Renter's obligations after 12-mo lease? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Wisconsin. In July 2004 I signed a 12-month lease with all the usual regulations and restrictions. I've now been in this apartment for 25 months. What exactly are the rules after the first 12 months? Do all the same restrictions still apply? If the regulations are the same for the...

View more questions Search