Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deonna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Obedience cant stop dog from jumping on me and guests
    I Have A One Year Old Bloodhound. I Can't Get Her To Stop Jumping Up On Me. I Have Had Dogs Before But None This Stubborn. Need Advice
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 12, 2008, 03:16 AM
    When you walk in the door and she jumps up the worst thing is to push her off you, she will than see it like a game and she will push back! Try turning your back and waiting for her to calm down, than give praise. You could alson teach her a certain position to be in when she greets people such as sitting down.
    Good Luck

Jul 19, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Great Answer, As Cesar Millan would say No Touch, No Talk, No Eye Contact!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 19, 2008, 03:58 PM
    I would also establish a spot he has to go to in the house when company comes over. Get one of your friends to help. Have them come to the door and ring the doorbell. If your dog gets excited, and waits at the door, give him a very firm NO, and them lead him in his leash to his spot. (keep the leash on until he understands) Using hand signals to point to where he is to go should be used and kept consistent. Do this excersise several times with your friend.

Also, tell all of your friends when they first come about the "No Touch, No Talk, No Eye Contact" rule. Just with your dog, not with you, lol. Tell them to completely ignore your dog until he has settled enough for them to be able to pet him. If he starts to jump on them again, he gets sent back to his spot until he knows that you are in charge, as the pack leader.

With a big dog like that, you can also block him with your knee up to his chest (not hard, just to block) when he tries to jump, and then give a firm command, and send him to his spot.

Good Luck!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Consistently is very important in correcting jumping and other problems. Quickly correcting him every time he jumps on somebody is very important. He must never get the affection he wants. A number of things have been used. One of the most gentle is to grab his front paws and hold him up. The traditional knee to the chest or step on his paws are fading from use. As part of the trend away from negative methods, just step backwards leaving his front feet to fall to the floor. After a few tries, the dog may just stand there looking confused.

Jul 19, 2008, 05:14 PM
    I know you're an expert Labman, and maybe the stepping away trick works for you but personally I know that for my dog he would view this as a game and get even more excited.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jul 21, 2008, 10:04 AM
    I also have trouble with the stepping away (at 5'6" and with a large dog it just turns into a game of keep-away). Instead, I step INTO the dog and take his space away. I turn sideways, arms folded, and walk into him with my hip. Give a "SIT" or "OFF" command at the same time. Also use the No touch, No talk, No eye contact advice.
    Dogs jump up because they greet one another in nature by licking the muzzle of the returning dog. (In other words it is a normal, but inappropriate behavior) We have to communicate an alternate and acceptable greeting method.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dinner Party Etiquette - guests inviting more guests! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having a small dinner party with family members. A month ago I sent out an email invitation to the all the family living near by, total of 12 guests. Now, 3 days before the party one of the family members has invited 6 more people to my party, 4 are family from out of town, 2 are dates. ...

Dog obedience [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I am a new member and the owner of two german shepherds one is 16 months and he ignores the down command at home until he has been told at least twice he understands the command because he does it first time at obedience training

Obedience With prong collar [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 week old maltipoo @6 pounds, is it okay to use a prong collar to discipline, or is this too much? Will it hurt him? He keeps attacking my 8 yr. old cat who is very mellow, what can I do besides saying NO!! ( that doesn't work!)

A collar for obedience. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... my husband and I have a 5 month old mini-dachshund puppy and I am now starting to take her to socialization class, as well as, intermediate puppy obedience classes. My question is if anyone knows a good collar that could help us with her tugging and choking when we walk. We have tried...

Too old to teach basic obedience? [ 3 Answers ]

I have German Shepherd Dogs. I have 3 that were over a year old when I bought them. Unfortunately, they have had no training. I would really like to train them but I am concerned about their age, are they too old to start training now?

View more questions Search