Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsherrill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Venting & sewer drains
    I am redirecting my drain lines to another location. I am only moving my Washing Machine drain a new sink drain a new jacuzzi tub drain and a new shower drain. All will run to a 4 inch drain line to a existing old sewer line. My question is about the vent. Where should the vent be located in the line or does it matter? I was thinking I should put it in the wall between the sewer and new fixtures, I currently have a vent at the other end by the washer and would like to use it unless the location matters.
    Please help
    Jeff
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 11, 2008, 02:19 PM
    my question is about the vent.
    Hey Jrff,
    The vent? You must mean "the vents". Because every fixture that has a trap must have its own vent. The only exception to this, in my area, is a floor drain. You may take the vent off anywhere you choose, however each of your fixtures must revent back to it providing that the trap to vent distances are met. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 11, 2008, 07:04 PM
    It depends in what part of the country you live. Some allow single vent to vent all plumbing fixtures listed, some require one dedicated vent for each plumbing fixture.

Toilet should be vented down the line, but before any other fixture connects to it.
    Sink is vented directly up from SanTee
    Tub and shower is vented behind P-Trap
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 06:03 AM
    MILO..

I can see that you are trying to work with all of us here regarding the wet venting vs individual vents, but just so posters are clear now and in the future... there is no place in the country that will allow a single vent to vent the fixtures that JEFF has suggested above!

Washing machine will require its own 1.5" vent
    Jacuzzi tub gets 1.5" vent
    Shower gets 1.5" vent, etc.

And I know you know that Milo... just trying to be clear for future readers... ;)

Have good day all...

MARK
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 06:06 AM
    True, thank you for making this clear to everybody...
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 12, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal
    It depends in what part of the country you live. Some allow single vent to vent all plumbing fixtures listed, some require one dedicated vent for each plumbing fixture.

Toilet should be vented down the line, but before any other fixture connects to it.
    Sink is vented directly up from SanTee
    Tub and shower is vented behind P-Trap
    Some allow single vent to vent all plumbing fixtures listed
    Milo, Surely you don't mean, "one vent for all the fixtures that jeff has".I think Milo's talking about the way bathrooms go down in my area. Our bathrooms are roughed like this.
    Toilet connects to sewer main or the stack vent. Lavatory connects to toilet drain and runs a vent off the top the stubout tee out the roof or revents back into a dry vent in the attic.. The toilet wet vents through the lavatory vent and the tub/shower connects to the lavatory drain and is wet vented by it. This is a normal rough in and is acceptable both by local and state codes and also The Standard Plumbing Code Book in 90 percent of the country. Check your local codes.to make sure you're not in the excluded 10 percent.. The vent off the lavatory may be run out the roof or revented back into a dry vent in the attic or if you're reventing back into a fixtures dry vent you must make your connection at least 6 inches over that fixtures flood rim.
    Just setting things straight! Regards, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Tom, of course, I meant "stack-vent". Stack-vent is not allowed in So.California. As I am learning from this forum, in other states, this installation is supported by Plumbing Code.

But I think jsherrill should call his/her Inspector and ask him what is allowed in his area and what is not. Then, he/she can use that information as starting point...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Milo... I swear I'm not gunning for you... I swear! But didn't you mean WET VENT in post #7... not stack venting?

Is stack venting allowed on top floor in your area..

Thanks for response...

MARK
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Mark, in So.Cal stack-venting is disallowed. When we do larger remodels, we usually turn stack-vent into single vent for toilet and run all other vents independently. But mostly, we cut them out completely. Wet vents are also disallowed.

But, if we do small remodel in a house with stack-vent, and when we need to move only few fixtures and vents around, we are allowed to reconnect to the same stack-vent.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2008, 04:36 AM
    in So.Cal stack-venting is disallowed. When we do larger remodels, we usually turn stack-vent into single vent for toilet and run all other vents independently. But mostly, we cut them out completely. Wet vents are also disallowed.
    Ahh! The dreaded UPC strikes again!
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Tom, we were once working on a large new house. The kitchen was about 50' x 30' large. There was an island in the middle with kitchen sink. My plumber plumbed it for "ProVent" under the island. (meaning no vent going to the roof ) Inspector didn't approve it. He noticed later on during the project that there is no "vent loop" in the middle of the kitchen. Of course, slab was poured long time ago and carpenters were just setting cabinets. We had to file for Code variance with our Building Department, pay close to $500.00 in fees, and wait 2 weeks for it to be approved. They "bent" the rules for us. Then we installed our $7.00 "ProVent". This is to tell you how much they love "ProVents" in my area... :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer odor in drains [ 9 Answers ]

I know there are allot of questions on this topic but we still don't know what is going on. My plumber is right now for the 3rd time trying to locate where the pipes are etc. The traps on the roof are fine, there is no leak or broken seal at the toilets, the smell is intermittent and we smell the...

Need to understand venting my bathroom drains [ 5 Answers ]

We're about to embark on a full gut/reno of our main bathroom. I will be hiring a professional plumber to make the small changes we need to do to the supply and drains, but I want to make sure I understand what they should be doing :) It's a 10 x 8 foot room as shown in the attached diagram. ...

Basement drains and venting [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Tom, I am not sure if you ever got his post from last week. Hi Tom, Yes I did receive it. I was away on vacation and just got back. I do have a couple of questions. There is going to be a shower to the right of the toilet that I did not see on the drain layout, but the bigger question...

Drains and venting a basement bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am hoping that you can help me with this question. I am adding a bathroom in my basement and need to install a ejection pump and all the related lines. The water supplies are right there overhead, so that is not an issue. My question is how the drains should be run and the proper venting....

View more questions Search