Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paul999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Ameriprise home roof claim
    I got an amount back from Ameriprise home insurance for hail damage to my roof. They gave the following amounts

Estimated cost = $8229
    depreciation = $1321
    =================
    subtotal = $6908
    minus deduct. = $1000
    =================
    amount mailed=$5908

The insurance rep. said I would receive the "depreciation" amount after I send in the roofing company's estimate and depending if the difference is smaller than their depreciation amount I would get the smaller amount, or if it was over the depreciation amount they would review what the cost difference is.

My question is this a "normal" process in most insurance companies to withhold the "depreciation" amount from the total cost of the estimate on the claim?

Thanks,

Paul
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 12:44 PM
    It depends upon how the policy is written. If you have replacement cost or value insurance (which costs more) then depreciation is not taken. They pay what ever it costs to replace the roof except for the deductable.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 26, 2008, 04:17 PM

Yep Paul, HVAC is right, got to read that policy. If you aren't sure what is says ask your agent to explain. My policy replaces the roof 100% but I'll bet my premium is higher than most.
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 4, 2008, 02:02 PM
    The reason they kept the depreciation is because your policy is an ACV (Actual Cash Value) policy. If they are going to reimburse you for the depreciation that is actually a pretty good policy. The reason that they process claims this way is so that you are forced to get it fixed if you want to collect. Meaning, you can't collect the value for the whole roof and only replace 1/2.

Many ACV policies will not even pay the depreciation so the fact that you are getting it paid means that your premium is probably lower than a strictly ACV policy with no depreciation recovery but lower than a policy that includes CR (Cost of Replacement) policy.

Overall a pretty good middle of the road policy. Now that you are thinking about your insurance though it would not be a bad idea to do a good overall look and make sure you are covered in all of the areas that you should be and aren't paying for things that you don't need.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home Owner's Insurance and New Roof [ 9 Answers ]

I need a new roof on my home. Can I use my homeowners insurance for a new roof? And, if so, with insurance companies the way they are these days, would their be a chance that they would drop me if I do this? Thanks

Roof repair, should I file a claim when the house is no longer mine? [ 3 Answers ]

I sold my house about a month ago. A year ago in Sept 06 there was a hail storm and the roof looked fine to us, so we didn't file a claim or anything because we thought there was no damage. We closed on our house and the new owners asked about the roof and we told them we thought it was fine,...

Home Owners Insurance On New Roof [ 10 Answers ]

We are planning to have a new roof put on our home in Wisconsin this summer. We have two estimates - one from a nationwide major construction company and one from a local free-lance roofer who just does roofs on the side. The construction company sales person told us that in the future if we...

Can I claim home addition costs? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, During the last year I paid for the following. I would like to know if I can claim for any of the following payments on my tax returns: 1)Motor vehicle License renewal fees 2)Bought a used car and paid for its registration to the Registry of Motor Vehicles. 3)Paid $89000 home(residence)...

Roof Condensation on new home [ 2 Answers ]

3 years ago my family and I built a house and we have had problems with condensation from the beginning. I get a lot of moisture on all of my windows, if it isn't wiped away it molds in a day or so, and I also have several spots on my roof, I have been told that my roof isn't "breathing" but when...

View more questions Search