Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moyenda Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Jul 11, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Dhcp error
    Hey'll
    I have a 1053 Code Error on my Server2003 running both DNS & DHCP,suddenly after a power cut all my workstations configured themselves with APIPA range addresses.. now this LAN has recently been added with another Server2003 Std edition ! ( Technicians claim to have configured it out side my IP range & couldn't have possibly caused the sudden headeche)... Is there a way I can find out if this other Server is causing trouble on my network..
    I checked the log on my Server and it was about setting credentials ! It reads :
    "The DHCP Service has detected that it is running on a DC & has no credentials configured for use with DYNAMIC DNS REGISTRATION initiated by the DHCP service"

But this I have configured and the same problem stays,Both network cards on my server connections appear to be connecting fine.

Help Appreciated !
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 11, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Remove the newer 2003 from the Domain, join it to a workgroup and see if it's seen on the network. Let the primary domain replicate and see what devices are available, delete it's AD machine account and then re-add it to the domain again.

It may be a timing issue.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Yes, this can cause problems. First of all, if there are multiple DHCP servers on the same physical network and they belong to a different subnet, then it is a crapshoot as to which one answers the client request first.

If you have multiple DHCP servers, they must be isolated by VLANs or routed subnets, or they must be using different Scopes and must be located on the same subnet.

DHCP servers running in Active Directory will not issue addresses unless they are registered within Active Directory. Enterprise Admin access is required to register a new DHCP server in AD. When you open the DHCP Management Snap-in, you can add servers from the Active Directory DHCP server list. The other server will show in this list. Add it to your server list and look at the Scope properties for the server to verify what is going on.

As far as the errors go, open your DHCP snapin and go to the server properties and the Advanced section. You will see a Credentials tab. Enter the credentials of an admin or service account that is a member of the Domain Administrators group. It has to be able to register DHCP and DNS within the entire domain. This account must be set to no password expiration and the user can not change the password.

Event 1053 usually accompanies 1058 as well. They are Group Policy processing errors and usually are related to security for a user or machine account. If this is on your Domain Controller, verify that the SYSVOL and NETLOGON shares are present. This will quickly show if your DC is actually acting in the role of a Domain Controller. Install the Active Directory Support Tools for Windows 2003 (KB892777) and run DCDIAG.EXE and REPADMIN.EXE. These will help show the health of your Domain Controllers.

Note about TCP/IP configurations on Domain Controllers: They should always point to themselves as the primary DNS server. You never want a machine acting as a DNS server pointing to another DNS server as the primary. This will cause circular Dynamic DNS registrations which will then cause DNS replications to fail with timing issues. This happens when the server that issued the DHCP address tries to register it into another DNS server which is then trying to replicate back to itself. This is what is meant by circular DNS registrations.

Jul 14, 2008, 04:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moyenda
    Hey'll
    I have a 1053 Code Error on my Server2003 running both DNS & DHCP,suddenly after a power cut all my workstations configured themselves with APIPA range addresses..now this LAN has recently been added with anothe Server2003 Std edition ! ( Technicians claim to have configured it out side my IP range & couldnt have possibly caused the sudden headeche)....Is there a way i can find out if this other Server is causing trouble on my network....?
    I checked the log on my Server and it was about setting credentials ! It reads :
    "The DHCP Service has detected that it is running on a DC & has no credentials configured for use with DYNAMIC DNS REGISTRATION initiated by the DHCP service"

But this i have configured and the same problem stays,Both network cards on my server connections appear to be connecting fine.

Help Appreciated !
    Alrite ! First off, There's SYSVOL share but I couldn't find the NETLOGON share ! My event viewer has the following log : EVENT ID 13568 "The File Replication Service has detected that the replication set "Domain System Volume ( Sysvol Share )" is in jrnl_wrap_error...
    & it shows the replication name set it : domain system volume ( sysvol share)
    and the root path as "c:\windows\sysvol\domain... I then again found out that under the applications log this entry exist : #50070 Unable to connect to the database STS_config on LSO\sharepoint.

I need help !

Jul 14, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Journal Wrap Errors are caused by long standing failures in the File Replication Services. Make sure NTFRS is running. To recover from a Journal Wrap Error, open the Registry Editor and navigate to the following hive:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NtFrs\Parameters]

Look for the Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore value and change it to 1.

If it is not present, add a new DWORD value with the name Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore. The value of 1 will allow an automatic restore and the value of 0 will prevent automatic restores. Instead of waiting for the next scheduled replication, you can restart the NTFRS service.

The other error relates to Sharepoint Services. It is a bad idea to run IIS and Sharepoint Services on a domain controller. If this was not deliberate, you will need to remove them.

Jul 16, 2008, 12:53 AM
    I'll check that registry entry, I might run into problems removing IIS because my Symantec Endpoint Protection requires that service.

Jul 16, 2008, 08:02 AM
    I also tried recovering the database using esentutl /p but only to get the following error :
    "Operation terminated with error - 1003 <Jet_errorinvalidparameter,invalid API parameter"... mmmh !

Guys I have discovered one strange thing, There's one server running small business 2003 wich happens to host the active directory & there's another std server 2003 which has been set up to provide internet for a few number of clints,both servers on different subnets but my router is on the same address range as the clients (Internet options>>connections>>proxy setting) what really confuses me is that this client computers are still under the small business's domain name!
    But on different IP range, how is it possible that they can also get to me domain & still access the internet and my network (initially set up) suddenly has a connectivity problem

Jul 16, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moyenda
    I'll check that registry entry, I might run into problems removing IIS coz my Symantec Endpoint Protection requires that service.
    I did not mean that you have to remove IIS from your DC's, I am simply saying that it is better not to run IIS on a DC. In a smaller office location, this is not always possible since the only monetary solutions are to consolidate as many services on to as few servers as possible. This is where Small Business Server is advantageous since it is designed to do just that. However, there are restrictions in the number of users that can be used on SBS. I believe that the max is 100 users and that it is geared more towards the 50 range.

Having two servers on different subnets, both running DHCP? One is an Internet Proxy? Without knowing the entire story, it is hard to say why your setup is the way it is, but I would initially have to say that your Proxy server should not be running DHCP unless it is on an entirely different phsysical network.

Do have a Visio diagram of your setup?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DHCP Not Running at start up [ 1 Answers ]

Hello FOrum I'm learning Altrirs and I need DHCP running on Server 2003 for PXE to work but my DHCP will not stay active. Can anyone help me to figure out why and how I can make it active when starting up server 2003 and keeping it going? Many thanks, Barry

What is DHCP [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain the DHCP?:)

Using 2 NICs, DHCP problems [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I'll start simple, then go into details afterward, in case the setup matters. I'm running a PC with windows XP SP2, conneted to the internet through a DSL modem via ethernet cable. What I'm trying to do is connect an Xbox 360 to my computer to share media and internet connectivity through a...

DHCP and more than 1 NIC. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, Here is my problem, I am running Win2k server sp4. I connect using a boot disk which pulls down a DHCP address, which works fine. I want to add more nics to my server, so I can have different people connecting to different nics, so I can get a gig throughput to each of my switches....

DHCP servers [ 2 Answers ]

Why do DHCP servers have static IP addresses

View more questions Search