Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Cows laying down in the field
    Some days on my way to work when I drive by a field with about 20 Gurnsey cows I see them laying down in the field, other days they are all standing. I've heard the old saying about cows laying down in the field before it is to rain, but I was wondering if there is any specific reason they lay down in the field or is this just a coincidence?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Looks like it

Most animals are vulnerable to environmental changes that humans often can't detect. Swallows flying low may indicate the air pressure is dropping. Falling pressure may affect the digestive system of cows, making them less willing to go to pasture, causing them to lie down. Static electricity may increase the grooming activities of cats. The calls of some birds, including crows and geese, have been known to be more frequent with falling pressure. Deer and elk sometimes react to wind and air pressure by coming down from mountains and seeking shelter. Some species from rabbits to rattlesnakes to certain kinds of fish may feed more before a storm so they can seek shelter.

Some flowers close up as the humidity rises so rain doesn't wash away their pollen. The leaves of some trees curl just before a storm.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Twink... I have heard that about the cows as well... not sure if it is true.

I do know that when I was growing up the old timers would predict cold weather by the different animals they saw at a specific time of the year.
    They would also predict changes in weather like in the spring from a really warm period to a "cold snap" by the types of flowers, berries or trees that were in bloom or about to bloom.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 11, 2008, 08:45 AM
    I've heard something similar, that cows lie down when the pressure changes because it gives them a headache. I was young, so it could just be one of those stories you tell you kids.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Thanks for the info. It really puzzled me when I kept driving by the same field and watching some days the cows laying down (not all on some days though) and other days everyone just standing up munching away at the field cover. I tend to think it's the asmospheric pressure at work and they can sense it.

I kept honeybees in Ft. Lauderdale many years ago and I could tell when a storm was brewing as the bees would come back to the hive and hang around the hive more than usual and sure enough, a big storm would break within hours. I also had to consult the weather forecast before I would harvest the honey as the bees would get very aggressive prior to a storm approaching even if it was two days in the future. I guess the insects and animals have a better handle on the barometric pressure than we humans do after all (and they don't get the weather channel either LOL). Did not know about the flowers. That's news to me. Thanks all for the answers as I kept pondering this one for weeks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cows or humans? [ 71 Answers ]

As a Christian, I believe that God created humans to be superior and above all animals , even angels; and because of this human life is precious. Humans did not come from the same primordial muck that all other animals came from as evolutionists and a lot of scientists will have you believe. ...

11 month old baby and cows milk [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 11 month old baby boy I was just wondering whether it would be OK if I started to wean him off the formula to cows milk within the month so when he is 12 months he is having full cows milk and it doesn't give him a tummy ache or something like so that his body gets used of it instead of...

Cows milk or formula for a 3 month old.pros and cons [ 6 Answers ]

Need to know what is good for a 3 month old... formula or cows milk

Feeding bread to cows [ 2 Answers ]

I just wanted to say,bread will kill a cow. Someone fed my two beef cattle a large amount of bread,which they could not digest.Will bread kill any other animal?

Cats, Cows, College. [ 5 Answers ]

The Dying Irish Nun The wise old Mother Superior from county Tipperary was dying. The nuns gathered around her bed trying to make her comfortable. They gave her some warm milk to drink, but she refused it. Then one nun took the glass back to the kitchen. Remembering a bottle of Irish...

View more questions Search