Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHUME Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Toilet not flushing
    The Toilet Flush Problem Is This

It Does Not Flush Properly If Flushed Sereral Times In A Row( 10 Minutes Apart) Yes The Tank Fills Up To The Top. The Holes Are Clear, The Water Exits The Tank Fast. If The Toilet Is Not Used For Several Hours It Appears To Work Ok.

Could There Be A Problem With The Vent Going To The Roof?
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jul 11, 2008, 07:27 AM
    When you state "Does Not Flush Properly..." do you mean that when you pull down on the handle, the water rushes into the bowl, but stays in the bowl for a while before draining?

If so, then you probably have a clog somewhere between the toilet and the plumbing prior to the main outlet. In that same bathroom, does the sink drain slowly also? Fill up the sink with water and let it go at once and see if it drains properly.

Also, check the bathtub if you have one. IF both of these drain properly, then it could be the vent stack leading to the roof. Auger this out.

However if it's only the toilet that drains slow, then it's a clog directly in the toilet drain pipe.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 11, 2008, 07:52 PM
    I would not worry about vent. Even though vent has its importance during displacement, it would be the last thing I would worry about.

You may have some object stuck inside the bowl or closet bend. Use plunger or 5' auger to make sure there is nothing inside the toilet.

Plunger is one of the best, cheapest, and simpliest, tools you can own. Unfortunately, plunger doesn't come with instructions. Many people don't know how to use plunger effectively.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 11, 2008, 08:21 PM
    You have a partial blockage in your sewer pipe. The fact that the toilet backs up indicates a blockage. The fact that if you wait long enough for that flush to drain through the blockage indicates that it is partial and not complete. The fact that you can flush, lets say 3 times in 10 minutes, indicates that it is far enough away for the pipe to hold 3 flushes. You can "guesstimate" the distance if you know the size of the pipe and the number of gallons of water you use each time you flush. Don't worry, it'll get worse. Time to snake out the sewer line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet not flushing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toilet that will not flush.. water doesn't go down.back bathroom works fine.. had the snake done through the vent in roof... (no clog),changed the toilet (complete new toilet)nothing working.. it just swirls around in the bowl.like there's not enough suction to pull in the water... any...

Toilet flushing [ 2 Answers ]

My toilets don't flush everything down, even when holding down the handle. This is happening in all 5 toilets in the house. Actually it's the house that I work in. There's 3 stories. The offices are on the 2nd story with 3 toilets. The living quarters are on the 3rd floor (2 toilets). The...

Toilet not flushing [ 3 Answers ]

We have to jiggle the handle to get it to flush. Cistern is filling up OK. What can we do ourselves or do we need to get a plumber in?

Toilet not flushing toilet paper! [ 3 Answers ]

Why will our new toilet flush more solid waste but not toilet paper & less solid waste? We have just bought it & are in middle of having bathroom installed & the plumber is blaming the toilet & the fact it is quite narrow at the bottom of the pan inside. It has no trouble with getting rid of other...

View more questions Search