Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shelbybelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Inside fans runs but outside compresser doesn't turn on.
    Our outside compresser doesn't turn on when we turn on AC, but the inside unit does work but warmer air blows out. The thermostat temp doesn't adjust either. It always says 80. Should the compresser need service or does the thermostat need replacing? Want should we do? Now we did have the outside unit make a grinding noise we had to shut it off because we were worried it would catch fire,we had someone come out and look at it they found nothing wrong with anything. We had to use emergency heat setting for the rest of the winter because outside fan never kick in after we tried starting it up again. Now with summer and we need the ac to work. Before I call a service man in, are there any suggestions? So I know what to tell the service man what needs to be look at. Thanks in advance.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 11, 2008, 07:08 AM
    If the fan in the inside unit runs when the thermostat calls for cooling, but the outside compressor does not, you most likely have a problem with the compressor. Call a repairman - it could be something as simple as a blown capacitor (I had two of them blow in one year).
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 11, 2008, 07:46 AM
    You might start by checking the circuit breaker inside and the fuses outside before you start spending $$
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    If the fan in the inside unit runs when the thermostat calls for cooling, but the outside compressor does not, you most likely have a problem with the compressor. Call a repairman - it could be something as simple as a blown capacitor (I had two of them blow in one year).

I would recommend you not call the same repair man as before

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC fan not working Compresser Runs Fin [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed my A/C was not blowing - checked the compressor was running. Opened the control box and turned the power back on and pushed the blower compartment safety switch. A green led on the control board lights and I hear a relay click, but the fan does not start. I turned the system to heat...

Central AC not blowing inside, outside fan runs continuously. [ 2 Answers ]

My ac guy has added freon, cleaned the outside coil, replaced the inside fan motor, and replaced thermostat. The outside fan will kick on, but the inside fan doesn't kick on. If I shut the unit OFF, then back ON at the thermostat sometimes it will kick the inside air on and it will be fine. But,...

Exhaust fans runs all the time but burnner goes out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old comfortmaker furnace that has stop heating. The exhaust fans runs all the time but the burner goes out after a couple of minutes. I've had repair men out and it seems every time they arrive, the heat starts working fine again. This usually happens once every year but this...

Inside fan runs, outside fan runs, but air is not cold [ 8 Answers ]

The inside fan runs and runs, the outside fan on the compressor runs and runs, but only hot air comes out. I sprayed the outside compressor coils with the garden hose to clean them and checked the inside filter. Is there something else I could check? Thanks

Hampton Bay Fans turn on for no reason [ 2 Answers ]

My Hampton Bay Fan turns on in the middle of the night when I am asleep. Does anyone know if there is any way to fix this problem?

View more questions Search