Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VLynn123 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Mar 29, 2006, 10:41 AM
    Doxie on steroids
    I've written before about Nina, my 1-1/2 year old mini doxie, After 6 weeks of being sick, the doctor is trying her on steroids. Right now she's on an antibiotic and steroids. Since she's been on the steroids, she seems to be getting back to herself. I've been working with a regular vet and an internal medicine vet who agrees that she should be on a steroid medication for a long period, maybe 4-6 months. Of course, during that time, they're going to try to tamper her off it and see how she handles that. My question is, does anyone know on what type of side effects a dog have after being on this for that long of a time? Has anyone experienced this with there dog?
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Jul 14, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Maybe you should ask your doctor seeing as he got the drugs for the dog. That's the whole point of going to a doctor (vet). The vet has to try to help the animal in care so all it takes is one question to the vet.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 08:32 PM
    What kind of steroids? As a puppy my Aster was on butasomething from 4-5 months to a year old. It was an anti-inflammatory due to her limping on her right front leg. When she was a year old, she passed a very comprehensive physical including hip and shoulder X-rays. She was trained and worked as a dog guide until she was 10 years old. She retired then only because her partner passed too much stress on to her. You can worry your dog sick. As she nears 14, she is again limping on the right front. The vet says it is arthritis. She is on Previcox and responding well. So the steroid she took as a puppy didn't cause any long term effects. Other steroids might have other effects. I agree your vet is the best source of info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Doxie pup in hospital [ 13 Answers ]

My three month old doxie, Henry, is in the hospital. He had been fine, woke up at 3:00 AM Monday morning with diarrhea and vomiting. I took him into vet and had him receive lactated ringers. Brought him home. He had eaten food out of his diet (my other dog's food) and I thought it was due to...

Surgery on my doxie [ 2 Answers ]

It's me again, I took my dog (1-1/2 year old mini doxie) to the vet because of vomiting, dehydration, not eating or drinking. That was 2-1/2 weeks ago and I'm still dealing with issues. She's eating and drinking without vomiting. She's very lathargic and she's very nasil. When she breathes it...

Help, doxie sick [ 2 Answers ]

Help, I have a 1-1/2 year old Doxie, Nina. She's sick and need advice. The other day, she slept throughout the day and night. The only time she'll get up is when we took her out to potty. She didn't even get up to eat or drink anything. The next day she slept throughout the day. She finally ate...

Doxie Pups Run From Me [ 2 Answers ]

How can I get my 9 month old Doxie pups from running away from me? The female does this when I want to put her in the kennel (she will not be bribed with treats) and the male when he occasionally gets out the front door and runs across the street. I've "had it" with the both of them and ready to...

Can you help me with my Doxie-Pom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have had my adorable little Doxie/Pomeranian puppy, Sparky, for a little over a week now. The Doxie is definitely predominant in him. He's been to the vet, and is being treated for parvovirus. How serious is this? The vet said it's rare for a puppy to die from it, but that doesn't exactly...

View more questions Search