Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Briarose Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2008, 11:07 PM
    Speaking up about work space
    This is probably a redundant question because I can guess what most people will tell me... but anyway-

I'm an assistant for a professor in a university. We were going to move into new offices (well, new for us) and even though the offices were smaller, I was happy because I would actually get an office (though tiny, it had four walls and a door, which is all I needed). I used to sit in the reception area of a suite, even though I was not the receptionist (yeah, try telling that to people who need directions).

Anyway, my boss raised a stink because he didn't want to move (for a variety of reasons, one of which was that his office was too small, even though it was only slightly smaller than his current office and they gave him the largest of the new offices; the other reason was that he didn't like the drone from outside noise). And finally the dept head gave in at the last minute - he let him get this huge room to use as an office and as a consequence, I now have to sit in the cubicle maze near his new office.

So I went from having an office to now being in a cubicle. He was the one who told me about the change and as he was telling me, he kept asking "isn't this better? Your office was so small... some people might be claustrophobic. don't you think this is better?" I was livid but all I said was (shrug) "it's not my decision."

So I was wondering - should I bother voicing my opinion to my boss? I don't believe there would be any sort of negative effects of me speaking up. I'm not going to throw a tantrum like he basically did, but maybe simply mention to him that the cubicles are really noisy and there is absolutely no privacy (the cubicles are more "open" than usual). The noise factor is a big issue for me - I get distracted.

If I asked to stay in the new office, he would probably say that he needs me to be close to his office (I wouldn't if he would just learn to do basic things himself - like find the power button to his new computer). Should I ask anyway or bring up the noise factor in the cubicles, even though it won't change anything?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 09:58 AM
    The real question here is are you planning on staying at this job forever or is this going to be a few years and then onto something else? In an office it's hard to concentrate when you are in a cubicle situation, I agree with that as I've had to work like that also in some of the office jobs I've had in the past. You get used to it. You get used to "tuning out" everyone else and their noise or talking. It should take you a few weeks to train yourself to ignore them. If your boss is a tantrum thrower, don't you think he's going to be looking for a more suitable office for himself should one become available in the future? Of course he will and that means that you will have to move with him as well. Right now, let him figure out that you are too far away from him to be of any value. You don't have to point this out to him, he'll catch on soon enough once he gets settled in his new office. From working in many offices over the past 40+ years I have found out that office placement and desk placement is not the end all to end all and I would get used to being moved around and sometimes actually liking it, believe it or not. Who knows, in the future when he moves, you just might have a plum office to work out of with a teriffic view to boot! Say nothing now and you'll be better off.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 10:02 AM
    I would bring up the noise since it seems he can relate to that. Then tell him you like a closed in feeling and you are not claustrophobic.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 03:30 PM
    I think if you stay on the theme of being able to do the best quality work, and being able to accomplish more, he should have no reason to not at least hear you out. If he says no, salute and go forward.
    Briarose Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I don't plan on staying at this job forever, but I've been a cubicle before (for a few years) and find it really distracting. I just can't tune people out.

Anyway, after we discussed some business this morning, I simply told him "Boss, the cubicles over there are too noisy." He asked why and I explained that because there are about 25 people who work in that suite, there's a lot of traffic. He doesn't spend much time over there (has always been in a separate building) so I'm sure he has no idea about how many people come in and out. And he basically knew where I was going with this because he then said "so you would rather stay here?" and I said "yes, I would prefer to stay here."

No tantrums from me, thankfully! He seemed to accept my opinion and said he would talk to the dept head on me getting that office back.

So we'll see. At least I expressed my opinion - whatever decision they make, I'll take but at least they know how I feel and I won't be silently stewing because I expect them to read my mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend left because she needed space. Giving her space, but how do I get her back [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 1 1/2 years broke up with me. She said that she needed space. The reasoning behind this is that she says she just felt unhappy for a while, because of some of my actions. I love her dearly, and I have been giving her the space she has requested. She says that she loves me, but...

My son is not speaking [ 16 Answers ]

My son is almost 2 and 1/2 and only says 4 words. He's a very happy little boy, he's also intelligent and likes to be around other people but when I see other children I worry that he's not developing the same way as them. He was also a very late walker, he walks fine now. Someone told me he could...

Speaking disability [ 4 Answers ]

I use to fumble when I speak. I am used to the remarks that people pass when I am stuck in a sentence. All that worry me is the interesting fact that when I speak to my friends or outsiders (other than my family members) I speak like normal people (or get slightest of fumbles that are negligible)...

California Live Work Space Tax Write Off [ 3 Answers ]

Im about to move into a loft that I will be using as a studio for my music business. How much of it can I write off and how?

Public speaking [ 9 Answers ]

I have no idea where to post this question. I was just reading candy28's post about her being shy and it got me thinking about an upcoming problem I am going to have. (I know, isn't it cool when you can see the problem before you have it. LOL) Anyway, my dad is getting married at the end of...

View more questions Search