Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Au contraire! God gave each person a conscience.
    I have a conscience yet I don't read the bible or go to church; same with my wife and kids. Weird.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    My point exactly. Direct personal knowledge is the primary source. Placing the Bible above it is idolatry.
    Here is the issue with that. That verse did not say that direct personal knowledge is primary. What is says is that the truth of God is seen in all creation, and some will deny His existence. It is an indicator of the existence of God, but neither the sole or primary source. The Bible is God's word and is the primary source.

The difference between "personal knowledge" and what scripture says is that many people may think that they know something based upon personal experience and can come up with all sorts of strange ideas because they make assumptions and fail to validate them. This scripture is quite specific on what scripture reveals and that revelation is to lead us to seek out the true God. And where do you find out about the true God? In the Bible.

It is worship of the creation rather than the creator which is idolatry, not following His word as He commanded us to do.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I have a conscience yet I don't read the bible or go to church; same with my wife and kids. Weird.
    And God has already revealed Himself to you via your conscience. And what happens inside your head and heart when you are hiking around in the great outdoors or see a beautiful sunset or watch a litter of puppies (or your own child) being born?
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Nah, I believe your parents instill what you call a conscience by their disciplining method. It's basically your view of right and wrong as experienced during those important developmental years from 0 - 5. It's easy to see: look at a "bad" kid then look at his home life - there is a direct connection, regardless of religious presence in the child's life.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Nah, I believe your parents instill what you call a conscience by their disciplining method. It's basically your view of right and wrong as experienced during those important developmental years from 0 - 5. It's easy to see: look at a "bad" kid then look at his home life - there is a direct connection, regardless of religious presence in the child's life.
    Not necessarily. And I'm not talking about any religious influence. There are studies that show conscience is inborn, not gotten from parents, but is pre-parental.

I know "bad" kids who have wonderful parents, and I know "good" kids who have miserable parents. Now what?
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 09:32 AM
    I do also believe that kids are born with basic goodness as a blank slate, they have to to survive. As per your observations about the good/bad you never fully know what goes on in someone else's home when you're not there all the time.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Jul 22, 2008, 09:44 AM
    I believe a great many people use hell to scare people to God because they don't understand the real concept of hell and that it is the relationship with God that needs to be taught. Too many people don't understand it's really all about our falling out of relationship and our reconciling a relationship with Him.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    The Bible is God's word and is the primary source.
    Not to me, it isn't. But if it is to you, I'm OK with that.
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tawnynkids
    I believe a great many people use hell to scare people to God because they don't understand the real concept of hell and that it is the relationship with God that needs to be taught. Too many people don't understand it's really all about our falling out of relationship and our reconciling a relationship with Him.
    It is about sin and the cross.

Jul 22, 2008, 08:05 PM
    It is about sin and the cross.
    Sin and the work on the cross is the beginning of reconciling the relationship. We fell from relationship because of sin, we are reconciled through Christ and the work on the cross.
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Sin and the work on the cross is the beginning of reconciling the relationship. We fell from relationship because of sin, we are reconciled through Christ and the work on the cross.
    Indeed! But it is only those who choose to receive the sacrifice on the cross who are reconciled. The rest have chosen the path to hell because of their sin.

John 3:16-18
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. 18 He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    NKJV

Jul 22, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Indeed! But it is only those who choose to receive the sacrifice on the cross who are reconciled. The rest have chosen the path to hell because of their sin.

John 3:16-18
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. 18 He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    NKJV
    The ones who choose not to believe are indeed choosing not to believe and have a relationship and will spend eternity in hell. But what does that have to do with how or why people are "taught to love God by fearing hell"?
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 08:59 PM
    The ones who choose not to believe are indeed choosing not to believe and have a relationship and will spend eternity in hell. But what does that have to do with how or why people are "taught to love God by fearing hell"?
    Hell is one dimension of truth that we cannot nor should not ignore. But it is not the sole or primary reason that we should use for teaching people about God. Other the other hand, if we leave out any part of the gospel, then we have not given them the full gospel.

If we want people to love God, we have to tell them the full story. The story is not complete with giving the story of how God so loved us that even after we chose hell, that He chose to come to earth manifest as a man in order that He might take the penalty for us, even for those who were pounding the nails in His hands, so that we might have the opportunity to be reconciled to Him.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 09:32 PM
    But it is only those who choose to receive the sacrifice on the cross who are reconciled.
    Nope, they don't choose to believe. The only power they have is to say no. If there is belief, it is because the Holy Spirit has already been at work in them.

"I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him. But the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith." (Luther)

"No man can say that Jesus is the Lord except by the Holy Spirit." I Cor. 12:3.

"God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Cor. 4:6.
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Nope, they don't choose to believe. The only power they have is to say no. If there is belief, it is because the Holy Spirit has already been at work in them.

"I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him. But the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith." (Luther)

"God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Cor. 4:6.
    That states that it is the work of the Holy Spirit drawing us to God, but that does not say how we became estranged from God to begin with.

It is sin which separates us from God and who has sinned?

Rom 3:23
    23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
    NKJV

Every person has sinned. That was their doing. They chose to turn from God.

Jul 22, 2008, 09:43 PM

Calvinist?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 09:44 PM
    Calvinist?
    And I quoted Luther? Surely you jest.

Jul 22, 2008, 09:45 PM
    Hell is one dimension of truth that we cannot nor should not ignore. But it is not the sole or primary reason that we should use for teaching people about God. Other the other hand, if we leave out any part of the gospel, then we have not given them the full gospel.

If we want people to love God, we have to tell them the full story. The story is not complete with giving the story of how God so loved us that even after we chose hell, that He chose to come to earth manifest as a man in order that He might take the penalty for us, even for those who were pounding the nails in His hands, so that we might have the opportunity to be reconciled to Him.
    Did you some how think I was disagreeing that hell was a part of the whole thing? I wasn't, I think we are on the same page.
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Did you some how think I was disagreeing that hell was a part of the whole thing? I wasn't, I think we are on the same page.
    No, I did not think that you were disagreeing - I was just adding some additional input.

Jul 22, 2008, 09:47 PM
    And I quoted Luther? Surely you jest.
    No, I don't. Lots of Calvinists do quote Luther actually. Your statement that it isn't up to us to believe hints at Calvinism. If I am wrong forgive me. I was just wondering.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psychological conflict: strong fear & strong love toward the same girl [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been experiencing some kind of psychological conflict for more than 1 year. Whenever he increases his love to me, his fear of losing me to another man increases. Last year, his psychological conflict made him misunderstand me a lot. For example, when he saw a tiny sign related...

What is taught in a job training procedure? [ 1 Answers ]

What all things do they teach in a job/placement training procedure? What should we do to prepare for it?

Self taught unqualified [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, Im 24 living in the UK. I have GCSEs and AS levels. Currently in a dead end job in a call centre. I am always learning new things and have a lot of skills, but because I have taught myself I have no qualifications of certificates to show for them. These include, Graphic...

Changing things that are taught. [ 1 Answers ]

I was thinking after what has happened at Virginia Tech, that something has to be done to make the children not do that anymore. So my ideas are: teach respect, teach kindness and love and to go along with that, teach children first aid, self disipline, self defence and teach them how to act if...

Love life bliss or hell? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy, we'll call him Jay, for a year. I love him without a doubt. BUT, I miss my ex boyfriend, Ryan. He's a musician, and there was just something completely wonderful and special about him and our relationship that we shared, which I never got over. Now I'm with Jay, and he...

View more questions Search