Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sad mom in law Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Daughter in law from hell
    My daughter in law called me screaming that I didn't love her or treat her right. Not true I have tried so hard to make her feel welcome in our lives. She has my son convinced of it. It started months ago while she was pregnant. My best friend works for the OB she goes to. My daughter in laws mom has been in a lot of trouble with the law for indentity theft among other things and is now serving time in prison for the charges. I told my best friend about her and she told the sonogram person not to leave her purse in the room with her for her own good. My friend was very discreet about it. My d-i-L discovered this from my daughter and went off on me. I feel like I had a obligation to protect us all from her moms stealing. This was a very serious issue. She has snowballed everything I say and do ever since. Now she is saying that we can't see our newborn grandson and she wants to move into a new county in our state so she doesn't have to have any contact with my son, grandson and her. I tried to make her understand but to no avail. And help You can give I will appreciate.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 03:46 PM
    I think you're unlikely to rectify the situation with reason or logic. Considering you're linked to this DIL for the long haul and she seems quite ballistic and melodramatic to me, why don't you apologize even if you don't feel it's right or necessary and in the future weigh the potential costs of insinuating gossip against the time you could spend with your grandson. Things don't always make sense. Pick/avoid your battles for the important stuff.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Was the daughter-in-law mother in the room while she was getting her sonogram? When you work in a hospital or clinic your personal belongings are suppose to be lock up anyway away from patients.

If I was your daughter-in-law I'd be upset too for telling personal family business, especially to someone who she must see at the clinic where she get prenatal care. Even though you thought you was doing a good deed, I think it was wrong and maybe an embrassment to her. After everything was said and done your daughter spilled the beans on you, probulary because she too thought you was wrong and you want the daughter in law to feel what towards you, happy? She can't control whatever bad her mother done nor her mother's life, only hers. You owed her a sorry, at least to see your grandson. Do what's right. The choice is yours, choose wisely.

Also, it don't seem like you have a daughter-in-law from hell but you do have a pissed off one.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Nothing cools off a blowhard faster than praise and adoration, except maybe butt-kissing and sincere apologies. Can you do all that? If you can, you can disarm her anger and spite because you're sugar-coating everything back at her like she's nature's goddess.

Hard to do, but might pay off. Being mad at her isn't working, so this couldn't make things worse, right?
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 05:39 AM
    I agree with Liz, it was her mother who made those mistakes not the DIL. Should you be punished for something your mother did during her life, no matter how great of a person you are? The girl probably felt a great deal of shame in you spreading her family business around. How would you feel if that was the case and the roles reversed? You do owe her an apology.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 11, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Let the emotional dust settle and take the high road, apologies for blabbing her business, and make amends. Geez, you know how pregnant females can be.
    sad mom in law Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Yes her mom was in the room while she was getting her sonogram. And yes the person giving it always has her personal things in the same room . Never a problem before. DIL is a vicious person who fights with everyone she meets. It is always a conflict when she is around. I did apoloze to her and she would not accept it. I am not going to kiss for the rest of my life. She needs to grow up. She is 21 years of age and my son is 35 years of age. I told her she was acting very immature and she blew again. Using a child as a weapon against us is terrible. She throws fits and wants to fight constantly.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 11, 2008, 05:53 PM
    so she doesn't have to have any contact with my son, grandson and her.
    Am I reading this right? Does this mean that she is no longer with your son?

What's done is done. You can only hope that even if she moves, she might change her mind and some day need and want help with the child and grow up and realize that the child has a right to everyone in it's family. There is no guarantee, only hope. And until then, try your best to not tick her off again by leaving her alone and not talking about her.

You might not like her or think well of her, but in the end, she is the mother of your grandchild and she will have control over you in that aspect.

Try your best to keep our cool from now on. Maybe you'll have to be satisfied with pictures for a while - which would be better than nothing.

Good luck.

She cannot prevent you from writing or getting gifts, even if she won't allow you to send them, you can keep them all for a time when the child can make a choice and it will notice what mom kept away.
    DIVERDUDE07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sad mom in law
    my daughter in law called me screaming that I didn't love her or treat her right. not true i have tried so hard to make her feel welcome in our lives. she has my son convinced of it. It started months ago while she was pregnant. My best friend works for the OB she goes to. My daughter in laws mom has been in a lot of trouble with the law for indentity theft among other things and is now serving time in prison for the charges. I told my best friend about her and she told the sonogram person not to leave her purse in the room with her for her own good. my friend was very discreet about it. My d-i-L discovered this from my daughter and went off on me. I feel like I had a obligation to protect us all from her moms stealing. This was a very serious issue. she has snowballed everything I say and do ever since. Now she is saying that we can't see our newborn grandson and she wants to move into a new county in our state so she doesn't have to have any contact with my son, grandson and her. I tried to make her understand but to no avail. And help You can give i will appreciate.
    She is not really blood family, you do not have to love her, just treat her with respect and everything will be fine
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Wait... WHO is using the child as blackmail?

WHO is being immature?

Sounds like you're not getting your way about your grandson, and like you don't approve of your daughter-in-law in general, and now you want her to "act mature" because you want to see your grandson? Sounds like you're being manipulating, to me. Maybe it IS your grandson--but it's HER son. Her rules apply regarding him.

You asked how to get her to see reason? Act reasonable yourself. Be nice to her, stop telling anyone she might meet about her mother (I mean really--how immature of you to spread that kind of gossip!). Start taking your daughter-in-law's side in some things, instead of always having to have it YOUR way.

What comes across to me, from your post, is that you don't like, and have never liked, your daughter-in-law, and that it wasn't an issue until you wanted to see your grandson. Well, why would any mother want their child to see someone who has been mean to her (the mother)? Why would any mother want to only be welcome because of her child?

Whether she is being unreasonable (and I have to keep thinking that there are two sides to this story)--if you want to see your grandson, you are GOING to be kissing her butt.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 03:18 PM
    She is 21 and pregnant, and you told some personal business of hers to someone in the name of "protecting belongings" Come on, you were gossiping. That was really a cruel thing to do. Sounds to me as though you have never liked her and you took this opportunity to just be nasty.
    Stop complaining, give the girl some space, she may come around. Be nice, call her ask how she is doing, send cards. Give a really gracious and sincere apology to her and your son.
    MEA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 11:58 AM
    You were so wrong in what you did. I don't blame your DIL. Perhaps you could try being honest with her. Let her know how sorry you are and try not to be to pushy. Keep your nose where it belongs from now on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will I Go To Hell? [ 44 Answers ]

I am in an abusive marriage with a Christian... I plan to leave and divorce soon... will I be doomed for a divorce?

What the hell? [ 3 Answers ]

All right basically, I have been dating this girl for 6 months. Not too long, but long anough to set in a hurtful mood for me. My ex decided to spread a rumor about me that I cheated on my current girl at the time with her which never happened, but regardless it never settles into her. Finally she...

Hell! [ 67 Answers ]

DOES HELL EXIST? The Bible speaks more of Hell than of Heaven. Jesus said it and that settles it! What think ye? Bobbye

View more questions Search