Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    giani513 Posts: 179, Reputation: 47

Jul 10, 2008, 02:53 PM
    At what age is it inappropriate to be naked around your children?
    I am the father of a 16-month-old daughter. Her crib is pushed against ours as a co-sleeper. While we shower, she has access into our bathroom. When I get out of the shower, I don't use a towel to cover up, and on most nights I sleep in the nude. I feel there is nothing to be ashamed of by being naked around my house (I am not a nudist), but at the same time I do not want to be inappropriate to my daughter, nor do I want to be accused of endangering the welfare of my child or any other illegal acts.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Reasonable question. I think the minute she starts pointing and asking questions, you should probably stop being naked around her.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 03:08 PM
    You have to remember the human body is not inappropriate nude. It is only inappropriate when we make it sound or look disgusting.

When she starts asking questions like what is that fur doing between your legs, you can either try to explain or cover up and explain at a later date.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 04:25 PM
    I remember things from when I was around 2 years old. I would say start wearing a man's robe to go from the bathroom. Even if it is rather skimpy.
    Child Protective Services told the Judge my old boyfriend ran around the house half naked because he didn't wear a shirt. In the meantime he ALWAYS wore Levi Jeans NEVER shorts of any kind. People can color things very different than they are.
    Also had a friend that breastfed until her kid was old enough to say words. She put a stop to that immediately when they were in church and the kid yelled out WANT BOOBY!
    mels mom Posts: 39, Reputation: 6

Jul 10, 2008, 08:12 PM
    As sone as you notice her looking , or start to talk.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 09:06 PM
    I think shame about our bodies is learned. Secrets and hiding create shame. You have pubic hair, penis and testicles. Whether dressed or not, they're there. Are these parts of yourself shameful? No way.

When away from people who are not comfortable with nakedness, my family is comfortable. If comfortable means naked feet, that's fine. If comfortable means naked all over, that's fine too. Our daughter only gives her dad cursory glances, she has come to accept that he has different parts than she does and sometimes, they're visible. Our bodies are what we live in.

Having sexual organs does not mean that you will rape or abuse your child. Rape and abuse do not need to occur because she has seen male sexual organs. Hiding the fact that we are sexual, have sexual organs is cause for mystery. The ongoing shame mystifies me.
    TwinkletOes26 Posts: 182, Reputation: 2
    -

Jul 11, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Please wear clothes around your daughter my mom walks around the house naked... my stepdad doesn't mind but I do yuck
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2008, 07:07 PM
    People are always naked, under their clothes. It is not "yuk!" Someone who deliberately exposes sexual organs for the purpose of getting a reaction is likely a victim of being taught that the human body is shameful and only exposed for sex.

Maybe it should be okay to be naked in front of others only if your body is perfect?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2008, 07:27 PM
    I know I wouldn't want to see my mom or dad or my kids naked
    I like keeping that for special someone. Nothing to do with how good looking somebody is.
    -

Jul 11, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Thank you no help no child wants to see their parent(s) naked again rite now my mom is walking in the hall naked ewwwwwww sorry it just is... now if tila tequila wants to go around naked that's hot mmmm hmmm :) ~daydreaming about tila tequila~
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I remember things from when I was around 2 years old. I would say start wearing a man's robe to go from the bathroom. Even if it is rather skimpy.
    Child Protective Services told the Judge my old bf ran around the house half naked because he didn't wear a shirt. In the meantime he ALWAYS wore Levi Jeans NEVER shorts of any kind. People can color things very different than they are.
    Also had a friend that breastfed until her kid was old enough to say words. She put a stop to that immediately when they were in church and the kid yelled out WANT BOOBY!

In the middle of this serious thread I read this and burst out laughing -

I don't know when nudity in front of your children is appropriate or inappropriate. I know as a stepmother you have to be very careful.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 02:31 PM
    First I would go as far that at 16 month why is the child still sleeping in your bedroom, they need to have their own bedroom. And personally I have issues with some things, for example today at the pool a man brought his two daughters into the changing room, men naked all over the place. Sorry but there are some things in sociey that does not need to be done. I would stop the nudity in front of the child, while at this age it may not be a real issue, but let CPS have to come in for some investigation and there is no doubt it would be a issue.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    First I would go as far that at 16 month why is the child still sleeping in your bedroom, they need to have their own bedroom. And personally I have issues with some things, for example today at the pool a man brought his two daughters into the changing room, men naked all over the place. Sorry but there are some things in sociey that does not need to be done. I would stop the nudity in front of the child, while at this age it may not be a real issue, but let CPS have to come in for some investigation and there is no doubt it would be a issue.

And while we're sort of on the subject let's say a few words about boys in ladies rest rooms - I stopped while working the road last week and a woman was in there with a boy about 9 years old.

I have also been in the ladies room when a father came in with his young daughter, unannounced.

I have no problem with a father by himself with a daughter (or mother alone with a son), asking people going into the ladies room if they can go in but to just walk in - ?

Comments on this post: aliciag940 disagrees: I still take my 7 yr old son into the ladies room with me... I'm terrified that if he goes into the mens room alone, something might happen :(

Do you know how the "remarks" section works? You gave me a reddie/bad advice mark. This is what I said: "I have no problem with a father by himself with a daughter (or mother alone with a son), asking people going into the ladies room if they can go in but to just walk in -?"

You gave me a reddie for bad advice stating "I still take my 7 yr old son into the ladies room with me - "

Did I suggest that you not do that or did I suggest that you ask/warn other people that you and your son are coming in?

You have misused the comment feature and I believe you misread my post.
    -

Jul 17, 2008, 09:21 AM
    I'm begging you for the sake of your daughter put on some clothes think about it would you want to see your mama naked
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 17, 2008, 12:48 PM
    I wrestled with this my daughter. The way I handled it was not to hide, but not to be overt either. If she happened to walk in I wasn't going to scramble to coverup, but neither was I going to walk around nude. As it turned out, I never had to worry about it.
    pdaher Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 01:33 PM
    I just think it's important for people to respect each others privacy. Everyone needs some private space. When my daughter was two I saw her humping one of her stuffed animals while watching cartoons in the middle of the livingroom. I explained to her that there are certain things that we do in private so we don't make people uncomfortable and then I started teaching her to knock before entering a room with a closed door, etc. Your daughter will probably not remember you walking around naked in front of her at this age, but she'll start potty training soon and becoming more aware of her own need for privacy. If you respect someone, they will respect you back. You can't demand it at any age.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
    It it time to cover up when you feel uncomfortable. If a child is raised in an environment where the parents are comfortable with their bodies they will be with there's.
    kiffydee Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Jul 21, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by giani513
    I am the father of a 16-month-old daughter. Her crib is pushed against ours as a co-sleeper. While we shower, she has access into our bathroom. When I get out of the shower, I don't use a towel to cover up, and on most nights I sleep in the nude. I feel there is nothing to be ashamed of by being naked around my house (I am not a nudist), but at the same time I do not want to be inappropriate to my daughter, nor do I want to be accused of endangering the welfare of my child or any other illegal acts.
    I had the same question. I chose to start closing doors when changing and not to go from the bathroom to the bedroom without using a towel or robe when they started pointing . About the same age as your daughter.
    They are now 8 and 12 and have learned the respect for privacy. But on a light note they are not ashamed and if they have a problem in a personal area they are quick to say "hey mom I've got a problem " and will ask me to check.
    When about 5 yrs they asked about differences and I answered honest and only enough information to satisfy at the particular time.
    I wish you luck.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 05:17 PM
    I was a nudist when I was younger at say age 18 to 22 and went to a wonderful nudist camp in New Jersey. This was a true family nudist camp where children of all ages were there with their parents. One odd thing I did notice about a nudist camp was that it was completely asexual in that no one seemed to be aroused by anyone else. It was kind of fun watching grown men run down the hillside with their goo goos flopping away. I must admit that I did look at first and then it got to be old hat and didn't bother looking anymore. I noticed the kids of any age were very comfortable around naked adults and did not point or stare. They had grown up with this and were very well adjusted children. No, I do not recommend this experience to everyone, but I just wanted to share what it was like from the inside of a nudist colony looking out. Oh yes, I did want to also share that I met some of the most intellectual professional people you could imagine there who held extremely well paid jobs in careers such as medicine, law, home builders, etc. My favorite person was a psychiatrist who went on to be a forensic psychiatrist and then an attorney and then a high up individual in the Penna gov't in Phila. He was a good friend of mine for 20 years and went regularly to the camp. If a person feels self confident with their own body whether they are fat or thin, other people overlook their physical imperfections and home in on their mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Naked Pics of ex! [ 60 Answers ]

I found naked pics of my bf's ex in his drawer. I knew she was sending him letters and regular pics before because she said she wanted him back... but he NEVER showed me these pics. I was so pissed I just left and I really just want to end it with him. Should I? If he's keeping secrets why would I...

Orbs with the naked eye? [ 4 Answers ]

:eek: My and my sister were driving.. at 230 am, with no cars in sight... Something that was nearly the size of a basketball, maybe even bigger -- moved semi fast right in front of my windshield.. It was aperfect sphere, a washed out white color.. We looked at each other and just got the...

Naked Dream [ 3 Answers ]

Hey y'all Ok, I had a weird dream that I was fully naked with only a pair of heels on and counting huge sums of money. Being naked in the dream didn't faze me at all, I was just irritated that I had to count all that money, my money. It's like I just got paid but it was too much to count. Any...

Can't erect while naked [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I was reading a post made by another user here about his frequent uncontrolable erections he gets while he is naked. OH HOW I WISH I HAD THIS PROBLEM! I'm 18 and have just recently in the past 2 months stared having sex with my girlfriend. I am new at this (She took my virginity) but ever...

Being naked [ 8 Answers ]

Does anybody hate being naked in front of your man I'm on the vuluptious side but I'm not that big my problem is I had my son and now my belly hangs and I think it looks horrible I can walk around with my nickers / thong on but not without I love my partner and I no he loves me but I feel...

View more questions Search