Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Birthorder to determine personality?
    I have just read an article about how firstborns are more "go-getters" and last borns are more likely to get in trouble and act out. I have 2 questions:

1) The author quoted a professor at Harvard who asked the class to raise their hands if they were firstborns, of which about 2/3 raised their hand. My first question is, isn't this kind of poll illogical to determine the answer to the issue? Statistically speaking, there is a 100% chance that the parents of each person in the room had at least one child. The percentage of multiple births, however decrease from there. If a child is an only child, they are by default firstborns (disregarding miscarriages, stillbirths, and the like), and if a child is not a firstborn, they HAVE to have at least one other sibling. So if you are a first born, you are one of one, and if you are not a first born, you are one of 2 or 3 or 4, etc, AND you were not the first of those. It's like adding on another stipulation to those who had more than one sibling.
    For instance, the prof. would have gotten the same result if he said' "Everyone raise your hand. If you don't have any siblings, keep them up. If you have 1 or more siblings, put your hand down, unless they were all born after you."

What I'm trying to say (sorry it's so lengthy) is that there is a higher percentage of people who were born first if they have no other siblings than of people who were born first with multiple siblings. It's like having a 1/1 chance to be a firstborn vs. a 1/5 chance if you have four siblings. Anyone have any comments on that, or would like to correct my math (statistics isn't my strong suit)?

2) What is the effect when a child has been a firstborn for the first, say, 15 years of their life (or longer), before a sibling came along? What about step siblings? Half sibling that don't live with you? I have 9 siblings, and technically, I would be 7th, but I didn't grow up with all of them, and some of them I was only with for the first years, middle years, or last years, others I have lived with throughout. Is there a way of putting a general label on what kind of person I'd be, based on birth order, in that kind of situation? Forgive me, but I think this is a topic with very limited application due to modern family dynamics. Any comments?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 11:05 AM
    I think they do this more to determine personality than the statistics
    It just seems like something to note that the characteristics are very similar often.
    2.) Their personality would be more like the only child because they had the 15 yrs growing up without siblings.

It is just a very basic generalized outline of sibling order, there are many other factors to consider.
    There definitely is something to it but does need to have other considerations.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Great question! I don't have much to add, but I have the book, Birth Order ( I believe) on my shelf, for ten years or more, but haven't read it yet. I have observed that all children are selfish, naturally enough. And that older kids are resentfully selfish of the younger sibling(s), and younger siblings are happily selfish of all the attention they receive.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 11:36 AM
    The prof. should have asked how many had siblings, and then, of those how many were first born. My sister (just two children) was the first born and she is still a go-getter. But she was two years older and I benefitted from her guidance in school. She had recently experienced what I was going through at present, and I had instant guidance available. So the impact of that close influence may have offset some of the non-gogetter traits. If there is a big age difference, this association is lost, I think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looks or personality in a relationship? [ 5 Answers ]

I have gfs that say they must have a guy that has it all-looks,money,personality,material things, and spending money on them. Well I feel that looks aren't everything and that personality means a lot. Sure you should have some attraction to them and things in common, but looks aren't everything...

Personality disorder [ 1 Answers ]

What makes personality diaorder an intirely meaningless and unhelpful diagnostic category? And a list of references please for further reading

Did she have a personality disorder? [ 24 Answers ]

I am trying to work out whether my ex has a personality disorder or whether we were just emotionally incompatible? I have had relationships - several. Most of them good. 3 years ago I met a girl who was down on her luck and very jealous and posessive and demanding on what she wanted - ALL OF MY...

Corporate personality [ 1 Answers ]

The section of the companies act relating which says a company shall be treated as a natural person in so far as a body corporate is capable of acting within the law. Just implying separate legal personality. The question is: it is the most celebrated fictitious story lines in company law....

Personality tests! [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anyway to show an even keel on a personality test? Can anyone tell me of a link to help me to talk one of those long and frustrating tests? Thanks

View more questions Search