Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FiFGuitar Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2006, 11:19 PM
    Booting from Hard Drive problem
    Hello, I've never encountered this problem before. I have an external hard drive connected to my desktop computer. Every time it restarts it refuses to do so unless the external hard drive is off. It says that it is, "unable to boot from drive." Is there any other way I can turn this desire of my computer to boot from the external hard drive off?? Any help would be appreciated thanks -Alex
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 29, 2006, 10:59 AM
    Have you attempted to change the boot order in the BIOS? It could be that your boot order in the BIOS lists USB devices ahead of your local hard drive. This would explain the error message you're receiving since you probably don't have a valid bootable OS on your external drive.

Casey
    FiFGuitar Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 11:32 AM
    Thanks for the reply, how might I go about changing the BIOS? Thanks again -Alex
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2006, 11:42 AM
    When you boot there should be an instruction to press some key to enter Setup. This is your CMOS setup and controls parameters that the BIOS reads on boot. Somewhere in there will be a setting for boot sequence.

However, I'm not sure that's the problem (but worth checking). I would check in the instructions for the external drive to see if you inadvertently set something else that would cause it to look at the USB ports for a boot device.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Mar 30, 2006, 11:46 AM
    I've seen this problem as well, didn't get round to the solution but just suggest leave the cable in the PC (or use an extension) and unplug it when rebooting. There should be no problem plugging it in after boot sequence is finished.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Dual booting problem [ 2 Answers ]

I Had Dual Booting With Windows98se (c Drive) & Windows Xp (d Drive) . I Removed Xp By Formatting D Drive. How Do I Remove The Shortcut At Booting Initially

Hard Drive problem - crashed and trying to recover data [ 10 Answers ]

G'day All, I'm having a hard drive problem. My hard drive crashed I've bought a new one have loaded up windows xp pro tried connected my old drive (making a clunking noise) as a slave drive and my computer just hangs at the XP pro openning window and does not advance. If I disconnect the slave win...

Hard drive problem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a Pentium II,333MHZ and am trying to install a 40GB hard drive. It gets detected as slave no problem but when I set the jumper to master it doesn't get detected as master. On boot up I get a message saying there is no primary master. The system knows it's there and recognizes the full 40...

View more questions Search