Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Jul 10, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Landing a helicopter
    Just curious... I'm sitting at work, and I hear a helicopter... its getting louder and louder, so finally I get up and go look. Apparently the building next to ours just sold and the new owner decided to fly in... and land in the parking lot. None of us really care... was actually interesting to watch :) But I'm curious if this is actually legal or not. I live in Grand Rapids Michigan, so if anyone knows the laws here, I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 02:15 PM
    He would have had to get clearance to do that before landing. So who knows, maybe he did and maybe he didn't. I always thought they would have to land on a helipad no matter how far they had to drive after. I guess he wanted to do it commando style.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 02:22 PM
    It depends on local zoning regulations for aircraft operations and property owner's permission. FAA form 7480-1 also lists specific requirements for when additional red tape is necessary due to frequency of operations. Aircraft with issues typically are exceptions to any usual regulations.

It's kind of like parking your car. You can pretty much park anywhere unless someone or something says you can't or there is a safety concern.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Scleros, I guess you might say a parking lot would be a safety concern. We have only one helipad in our town and that's at the hospital, and even they need clearance.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Alrighty, I looked up the Grand Rapids ordinances concerning helicopters. They prohibit operation in the Central Business District (CBD), Traditional Neighborhood City Center (TN-CC), and Traditional Neighborhood Transitional City Center (TN-TCC) zones during the hours of 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. and for operations exceeding specified noise levels and durations. See Title 9, Chapter 151, Article 5, Sec. 9.63 and Title 5, Chapter 61, Article 9, Sec 5.9.12 at Grand Rapids Municipal Code. If unclear, contact the City of Grand Rapids or your lawyer...
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Jul 11, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Lol, thanks guys. We heard it start up to leave yesterday afternoon, and I think everyone from every surrounding company quick ran outside to watch (we're easily entertained). Then when leaving, the guy almost hit a tree!

I wonder what its like to never be stuck in traffic again lol :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Those dang helicopter seeds [ 4 Answers ]

How do I get rid of maple seed 'helicopters'?

H1 Transfer Just After Landing US [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have done stamping from Compnay ABC curentky and landing US next months . In the meanwhile Company XYZ is offering me and saying that they can apply for transfer my H1 on the same day ,when I will landed there .Now my question is that,is it feasible to get transfer my H1 without pay stubs...

Deck Landing [ 1 Answers ]

I'm building an "L" shaped staircase for a 10' high deck. A 6'X6' pad was already poured to support the bottom of the lower set of stairs. Can another pad be poured for the stair landing or are piers required for landings? The landing will be 4'X4'. We're building on a slope and locating piers...

RC Helicopter [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a Bladerunner RC Helicopter. When I flew it, it would rotate counter clockwise (nose left). Even when I pushed right on the remote control it still when counter clockwise. I took of the fragile outer shell (the shell only weighed down the helicopter) and a small gear fell...

Landing instruction... [ 1 Answers ]

Why airline crew ask passengers to open window blinders during takeoff and landing?

View more questions Search