Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kandw101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Elderly care calls.
    Is Realpersonreminder.com a good elderly care call service or is it like all the rest of the computer call services?
    My 90 year old elderly mother lives a long way from me and I don't have the time everyday to call and wake her up and check on her. I work all kinds of crazy hours and need a reliable service for this. Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 08:53 AM
    The best you can do is ask them if you can talk to some of their clients who use the service. It is a great idea for the elderly. I know it is difficult being at a distance. Here in Ontaro we have MedicAlert in necklace form so if they fall or have some kind of relapse they press the button and the response is instant, but not necessarily like realpersonreminder.com, which sounds good in itself.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Check the Center for Aging's Web site to find one of their agencies in your mother's area --

Agencies

There are staff and volunteers who do daily phone calling to check on the elderly and do a little chatting if the elderly person wants to. The agency will also provide all sorts of services to your mother depending on her needs and wants. See their site --

Service Options

One of my internships was at a Chicago-area Center for Aging agency. One of my daily responsibilities was to call ten homebound individuals to check on them and to engage them in conversation, if possible. Mr. Moroney was one of my favorites. He and I created an ongoing story, with a new adventure every day. It involved his jogging through the trailer park he lived in and telling me about all the people he met and animals he saw during his jog. One morning he told me about the cute blonde jogger he flirted with. He described her jogging outfit and told me how pretty she was. Over the next day he told me he thought he was in love with her. We talked about how he could win her over. One morning when I called him, he made the announcement that he was going to propose, and a few days later, he excitedly told me she had accepted. Not too much later, he told me he had decided she was too young for him and couldn't relate to him, so he broke off the engagement. Mr. Moroney and I both knew he was nearly blind and hadn't jogged in years. The agency staff told me he had always been one of their most gruff clients, and were amazed that he had connected with someone. And later Mr. Moroney told me he enjoyed making up stories and having fun with imagination. Who wudda thunk!

I did home visits to most of the people I called, and got to meet them. The clients knew the agency was there to help and often called in for help with SS paperwork or to get transportation for medical appointments, for Meals on Wheels, or for home repair at low cost, etc.

There are many local opportunities for your mom to socialize and get help with any needs she may have, and the cost would be affordable or even free.
    gailambert62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kandw101 View Post
    Is Realpersonreminder.com a good elderly care call service or is it like all the rest of the computer call services?
    My 90 year old elderly mother lives a long way from me and I don't have the time everyday to call and wake her up and check on her. I work all kinds of crazy hours and need a reliable service for this. thanks
    Heartsease Calls from Gail
    kandw101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 06:34 AM

I now use FamilyCareCalls.com and their great!
    tzvth3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 04:12 PM
    Try www.CheckInCalls.com. Great service, nice people, good reviews.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Title of 80s movie w/metal aliens and elderly folks take care of them [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know the title of a movie I am sure came out in the later 80s early 90s. The movie features an home or building with elderly people that have little metal aliens on there rooftop and I believe the elderly took care of the little metal aliens. My brother said that paul rodriguez was in it...

Home care for my elderly parents [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to remodel my parents bathroom so that I can adequately take care of them. I do not intend to ever place them in a nursing home but need changes made to the bathroom to make it handicap accessible. How do I go about this and are there grants available?

Care values of care workers when communicating [ 1 Answers ]

health and social care help :confused: can someone tell me how to promote anti-discrimination to recognise cultural differences to acknowledge service users personal beliefs and identities r care values of care workers when communicating in their day-to-day tasks :confused:

Care provider or care giver. WHAT! [ 1 Answers ]

Why in some states like the Northwest and West coast fathers are viewed has the care provider and the mother the care giver, now I now the difference so don't get all technical with me, all I'm saying isn't that view and definition a little bias and favor the mother. Us as fathers have to provide...

Depende care claim from FSA for dependent care [ 1 Answers ]

Dear expert, I started to work in a company from last November. My FSA for dependent care was set up in Feburary( 3 months waiting period from company policy), may I claim the dependent care incurred in January? I worked full time in January in this company. Thank you.

View more questions Search