Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Trying to keep customers happy
    This is a question for some of the plumbers that I see giving advice to others on here.

If a person buys a product at the hardware stores and ask you to install it for him how do you determine what you might charge and how do you explain to the customer that he is actually not saving money in the long run with out not making that person mad.
    Lets say that he buys a water heater (40 gallon 6 year warranty). He pays for the heater, he pays taxes, and if it is like in my area he will pay a delevery fee. He then pays me for my labor fee plus for any material and for a permit, and unless he wants the old heater sitting in his yard he pays me a charge for carting off the old heater. And then there it's the possibility that the new heater is deffective and has to have some repairs or maybe even have to be relpaced as defective on install. Even thought the water heater manufacturer might pay a small labor allowance, the home owner is going to be out more expense because I am not going to do it for nothing.

I am just wondering how you explain all of this to someone.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Personal opinoin only, I don't do plumbing but in the areas I do.

I don't install parts that I don't supply since I can't be responsible for them.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 28, 2006, 08:22 PM
    DITTO here. No way do I install customers units or parts
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    This is a question for some of the plumbers that I see giving advice to others on here.

If a person buys a product at the hardware stores and ask you to install it for him how do you determine what you might charge and how do you explain to the customer that he is actually not saving money in the long run with out not making that person mad.
    Lets say that he buys a water heater (40 gallon 6 year warranty). He pays for the heater, he pays taxes, and if it is like in my area he will pay a delevery fee. He then pays me for my labor fee plus for any material and for a permit, and unless he wants the old heater sitting in his yard he pays me a charge for carting off the old heater. And then there its the possibility that the new heater is deffective and has to have some repairs or maybe even have to be relpaced as defective on install. Even thought the water heater manufacturer might pay a small labor allowance, the home owner is going to be out more expense because I am not going to do it for nothing.

I am just wondering how you explain all of this to someone.
    I keep looking for the base question in all of this. If I'm working for a company that sells water heaters there's no way the owner will allow his plumbers to take the call for the shop. If it's a personal friend then you do the call after work and on the side. If not there are plenty of "handi men" out there that will take it on since on the West Coast of Florida you don't need to pull a permit to change out a water heater. However if you're in business for yourself it depends on how much work you have and how hungry you are.
    I have installed water heaters, fixtures and appliances for friends and neighbors when they have purchased the articles themselves. They are informed that the warranty is their responsibility and that it will be them that has to deal with the manufacture if anything goes wrong. I'm speaking as a individual and not for plumbers in general. I guess the answer to the question would be, It's all a matter of choice as to your course of action. Cheers, Tom
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2006, 01:33 PM
    I'm going to answer this from a different perspective, because I'm not sure if it matters what type of equipment we are dealing with. Maybe its different for plumbers, but there are lots of similar instances. A mechanic asked to install an ignition coil purchased elsewhere. A mason asked to build a stone wall with supplied stone.

At one time I was affiliated with a national bicycle parts mail order house. Their research showed that many people hesitated purchasing parts because they didn't know how to install them. So they built up a network of local installers. The customer would order there part themselves then make an appt with the local installer.

I've also done my share of computer upgrades. Installing parts or software that the owner purchased on their own.

I don't see it as that big a deal as long as the customer is aware that the warranty and workability of the part is their own responsibility.

As to whether its more cost effective, that depends on the situation. Before I take my car in for inspection I always check on things like wiper blades, brakes, etc. I can go to an auto parts store and get wiper blades for a lot less than my mechanic will charge. But once they do the inspection they have to replace the parts otherwise the car fails. And their charges for such parts is pretty high.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I write a letter to customers about a price increase? [ 9 Answers ]

I own a landscaping business and due to gas price increase and product price increases I have to change the price of regular lawn service price. Please help I don want to lose clients Respectfully legen

Bringing customers to my Hair Salon [ 2 Answers ]

My hair salon has been opened for a year. I NEED HELP!!!!!!! BRING IN NEW CUSTOMERS. I am also having a problem attracting new stylists; most of the stylists i have had have been very young and not dependable. I need help fast, like yesterday. I need cheap ways to advertise. I've handed out...

Happy mothers day [ 3 Answers ]

I just wanted to wish all the other mommies out there a happy moms day. Hope you all have gotten pampered, and got to sleep in. And for all the moms expecting happy moms day. Just cause their not here yet doesn't mean your not already mothering them. Big hugs all.

Happy Birthday to PetFinders [ 4 Answers ]

I do not know how many of you have used this site but Pet Finder is 10 years old now. Happy Birthday to Petfinder.com! Petfinder.com is 10 years old this year, and They are celebrating their birthday--and the pets--all year! They created a special for you to play and Petfinder Concentration...

Happy Passover, Happy Easter! [ 22 Answers ]

I just wanted to wish all my friends on the board greetings for the spring season... If you're Jewish like my family, a very Happy Pesach and Good Seder! If you're Christian, a very Happy Easter! If you have some other religious practice that I've missed, please add it here if you like,...

View more questions Search