Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sara246 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 02:43 AM
    Can u with hold rent if the landlord does not do repairs
    We have been on to the landord to do our plumbing for 6n months as we cannot use the bath or shower and now the toilet is leaking are we allowed to with hold the rent
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 03:00 AM
    You have to tell the landlord first that you are withholding the rent to repair something that is necessary for the house/apartment/whatever to be livable legally, but yes.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 04:37 AM
    To ensure that you won't be evicted for non payment of rent you need to contact the Clerk of Court at the courthouse nearest to you. Ask them if it is permissible for you to pay your rental money into the Court Registry until repairs are made on your rental apt. If they are able to do this, then you must go in person and fill out paperwork that they will have for you there at the Clerk's office and pay your rent into the Court Registry. This will prevent the landlord from evicting you as you have essentially paid the rent to the Court Clerk and if the landlord tries to evict you for nonpayment of rent, the Clerk will not allow the eviction complaint to be filed as they check out the name and address in their system and will find that you have paid the rent to the Court Reigstry. Also, depending on how serious this is, you may wish to contact the local Health Dept or Building Dept and ask them if they can help you on this as it may be a sanitary issue that they would have jurisdiction over and force/fine the landlord into fixing the problem.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Actually, this is one of those things that varies greatly from lease to lease, and from state to state.

Do you have a written lease, and if so what does it state? If not, or if your lease doesn't address repairs, check the sticky at the top of the forum for a link to your state's landlord/tenant property code. Even if you lease does address repairs check your state laws to make sure your lease is in compliance with them.

From your description, you would definitely have an excellent case to take the LL to small claims court and get a judge to rule that you be let out of the lease. And probably monetary damages on top of it.

But if you just withhold rent incorrectly then it opens you up to the landlord having grounds to come after you. Document, document, document. Get free estimates from plumbers, save copies of written communication you send the landlord, take pictures if there are conditions that are photographable.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Rockinmommy is correct, in most places you can withhold rent in a situation like this, IF you do it right. And that means setting up an account to pay rent into until repairs are done, or paid off.

You have many options, but you really need to discuss this with your local housing agency to make sure you do it right. You could get estimates fort the repairs and present them to your landlord. If he refuses to order the work, you may be able to have it down yourself and then withhold rent until its paid for, or put the rent into an escrow account until you have enough to pay the repair. Or you can get out of your lease since you have an uninhabitable condition. Plus other possibilities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord not making repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have been renting a Townhome for 3 years, April 25th my Air conditioner went out.I contacted my out of state landlord by emil, she did not respond for 2 weeks then stated I was not to deduct repairs from my rent that I should pay Mays rent and she would then be able to pay for repairs. It has...

Repairs by Landlord [ 13 Answers ]

A property management is the landlord, termites were found and reported for something to be done. Nothing was done, has been over a nine month period, not only have they not responded to the problem, the tenant was told NOT to call anymore as there were other tenants with worse problems that...

Rent raised after repairs made in rental [ 2 Answers ]

Our landlord recently had to replace the heating/cooling system when the old (1969!) one failed. Now they want to increase our rent. My understanding is that in CA a landlord cannot increase one's rent within 6 months of doing any kind of necessary repairs to the property. Is this true? ...

Landlord still hasn't made repairs [ 1 Answers ]

I live in grass valley,ca. I rent an apartment with a washer and dryer in my unit. A while ago my dryer started leaving grease spots on our clothes and is also extremely loud when in use. I told the problem to the landlord and also filled out a "fix it" form that I gave to them. That was a month...

Landlord not making repairs [ 2 Answers ]

My son is rented a house a few months ago and has discovered a few problems which need to be fixed. According to the lease these should be the responsibility of the owner. For the last 2 months he has been giving my son the run-a round, basically not doing what he says he is going to do. One...

View more questions Search