Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grammarian-Bot Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Web Hosting Solution
    Is it possible to have my website hosted by a company in the beginning and then when I have resources, then buy my own servers and hard drives and put all my data from my web host to my own servers. If yes, how do we do that?

GB
    zylstra Posts: 83, Reputation: 11

Jul 9, 2008, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grammarian-Bot
    Is it possible to have my website hosted by a company in the beginning and then when I have resources, then buy my own servers and hard drives and put all my data from my web host to my own servers. If yes, how do we do that??

GB
    Of course. I guess you'd download your site with FTP software, then load it onto your own servers. If you have a good hosting company they will help you with that.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jul 10, 2008, 07:11 AM
    There's a lot of good/cheap hosting providers out there.
    Here's one that RickJ recommends: Affordable Websites
    Here's one that I've used several times in the past with great success: Cheapest Hosting.
    And there's always GoDaddy. Complete Web Solutions: domains, hosting, site builders and SSL..
    I have a site on GoDaddy right now, they're cheap and have tons of options.

As for hosting your own site, it can be as simple as setting up a copy of Microsoft XP with IIS and opening up a port on your firewall. Unless your router supports a DMZ I don't know if I'd recommend this. It's really a matter of what OS you plan on using and what exactly you plan on hosting. Php, java and .net are all popular choices for applications and all require different software to run. You also need to look at your internet connection. A cable modem is great for surfing the web and playing games but if you setup a web site it's going to suffer if more than 4-5 people start hitting it at the same time. You'd also typically want a static IP but there's ways around that as well. (dynip.com)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Yes Domain names can be transferred to a new server (IP) at any time. You will need to have your Registrar make changes to the DNS for you.

However, I do NOT recommend hosting your site yourself. Unless you have the staff and resources to monitor your site 24/7 you will get better AND more cost effective service using a host.

Figure it this way. Unless you have a very large and heavy trafficked site its unlikely a host service will cost you more than a few hundred dollars a month. Just paying a staff to monitor your equipment 24/7 will cost you more than that. And that doesn't count the cost of the servers, connectivity, power, etc.

Jul 10, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Yes Domain names can be transferred to a new server (IP) at any time. You will need to have your Registrar make changes to the DNS for you.

However, I do NOT recommend hosting your site yourself. Unless you have the staff and resources to monitor your site 24/7 you will get better AND more cost effective service using a host.

Figure it this way. Unless you have a very large and heavy trafficked site its unlikely a host service will cost you more than a few hundred dollars a month. Just paying a staff to monitor your equipment 24/7 will cost you more than that. And that doesn't count the cost of the servers, connectivity, power, etc.
    That's exactly what I meant. Actually my business plan, like every other business plan, starts small and then is going to get bigger. And when I said that "I'll host my own site when I have resources", I meant a business big enough to bear the cost of servers and maintenance staff as well as users/visitors. Talking of users, could someone tell me that how many users a web hosting service can handle for you assuming if we have a website like askmehelpdesk or Facebook (text based). I mean can these web hosts can provide enough bandwidth for thousands of users around the world?
    And yes, just as someone wants to know, my website is designed in classic asp. I hope that won't be an issue regarding web host or performance.

GB

Jul 10, 2008, 10:19 AM
    First, it would take your business growing an awful lot to cost justify your own servers. Many companies, even larger ones, continue to use WEB hosts for the security of keeping their servers separate. Some WEB hosts will host your own boxes, so the servers would be dedicated to you, but still enjoy the advantages of sitting in a shared server farm.

Yes, host services can provide an enormous amount of bandwidth. Another reason to use a host. They can monitor activity and add bandwidth as needed.

As long as the host support ASP pages you are golden.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2008, 10:26 AM
    I know a few people in my medium-sized city that have bought static IPs and are running webservers from their basements. Having said that their sites are not what one would call 'mission-critical'.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Jul 10, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    As long as the host support ASP pages you are golden.
    ... The Java developer bites his tongue. ;)
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jul 10, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Most small-scale hosting plans have a cap on monthly bandwidth. I'd recommend starting with an affordable plan there, and as your traffic increases, close-monitor with a program like Webalizer or Awstats. There are companies that specialize in hosting high-traffic sites, but they can of course be quite expensive. You can also lease a virtual server at the larger companies, providing you with the advantages of server ownership without the hassles. A friend was hosting a website out of his home, ended up keeping his server at a "server farm" - they house it and keep it running for him so he doesn't have to worry about it. Frankly, it's worth the cost of having someone else do this day-to-day stuff for you.

I'd recommend Bluehost from personal experience for a starter hosting company - there are better options In my opinion than a certain hosting service whose name might begin with G that are just as inexpensive, offer better support, and a website that doesn't require an MS in computergeekology to use effectively if you catch my drift. ;)

When you're ready to move up to the Big Time, check out companies like Rackspace.com - they lease virtual servers and (I think) physical servers. Why buy your own box when it will depreciate 100% in three years and meanwhile you have to do all the daily upkeep? It's worth paying someone else to do this, In my opinion.

Jul 11, 2008, 08:38 AM
    First, you all guys are awesome. So thanks a lot.
    Second, I thought that many companies host their own websites for the sake of security. But as ScottGem said that the security is better served with outside hosts. That's great.
    Third, and this one I guess, with these server farms or web hosting services, we don't have to worry about the power failures (A common problem in my country). Right!!

Thanks once again guys. You all have been a great help.

GB

Jul 11, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Exactly. A WEB host is in the business of providing 24/7 connectivity, maintenance and security. Because they can spread these costs over a number of clients, it works out to be much more cost effective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New to web hosting [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, Since I'm new to web technology , can any tell me how to host a site. I have created a small application using asp.net which runs in my local.

Web hosting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am setting up a home based business, and looking into setting up a web page to sell my products. Any ideas what to look for in choosing for a web host? Ta.

I'm hosting alone [ 2 Answers ]

I am hosting a baby shower for my sister in law, I only know a few of her girls friends, and no one has offered to help me host. It is going to be a very large party as it is a co-ed party. Is it rude to ask someone if they would like to help me?

Web hosting server [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Somebody guide me where may I get my own server for web hosting business and please give me it price if you can. Regards oveasahmed

Dns hosting? [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me What is the deference between domains with "dns hosthing" or without.

View more questions Search