Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wrenwell Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Air Vent pipe replacement
    Hi: Live in an old house that has exterior metal air vent pipe--it exits the crawl space through foundation blocks (above ground), runs up the clapboard, through the roof eave. A wood cabinet has been built over that portion of the house, so now there is no easy access to working with the pipe. Problem is that the pipe has rusted out at one section--unfortunately inside the rather cramped water heater cabinet.

I'm wondering if there is some way to repair the pipe without entirely replacing it, like a flexible sleeve run through the pipe from the top, etc. Admittedly years ago I repaired it using duct tape--

I hate to think I'd have to disassemble the cabinet to replace the pipe.

Thanks. Sandi
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2006, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwell
    Hi: Live in an old house that has exterior metal air vent pipe--it exits the crawl space through foundation blocks (above ground), runs up the clapboard, through the roof eave. A wood cabinet has been built over that portion of the house, so now there is no easy access to working with the pipe. Problem is that the pipe has rusted out at one section--unfortunately inside the rather cramped water heater cabinet.

I'm wondering if there is some way to repair the pipe without entirely replacing it, like a flexible sleeve run through the pipe from the top, etc. Admittedly years ago I repaired it using duct tape--

I hate to think I'd have to disassemble the cabinet to replace the pipe.

Thanks. Sandi
    Hi Sandi,

Is the ruptured pipe cast iron? How large is the opening? Where is it located on the pipe? Top, bottom or side? There is a method of "sleeving" but that's used to sleeve sewers from the house to the street. You would have to check to see if they would do a job as small as yours. If I cauld come up with something to patch the pipe could you get to it? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vent Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Is It Ok To Drain My Central Ac Unit Into My 4" Bath Vent Pipe And Should There Be Water In That Pipe. The Ac Guys Did That Because The Other Ac Pipe Was Cloged.

Lead pipe replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I've bought a house in Chorlton in manchester. The house is a middle terrace and has a stop tap approximately 10 metres from the house boundary and the street. I have a builder renovating the house who informed me that there are lead pipes connecting to the water supply and he has alerted me to the...

Vent pipe for washer [ 3 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm putting a washer where none has existed before (see Washer Height Discharge). You've answered my question about discharging over a door, but now the question about the vent. There is no vent stack near the washer. Can I run a 2" PVC vent pipe horizontally? I would have the...

Stack pipe replacement [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having some outside drainage problems repaired and the contractor has told me that the stack pipe, which is outside, is in the way and that it will have to be relocated inside my house. Now the problem is that most of my interior walls are plaster over brick as my house is anout 110 years old....

Drain replacement/vent [ 7 Answers ]

I searched around and couldn't find my answer. I am renovating the bathrooom in my 1944 home. The house has had many "patches" to it in the past before I moved in. Because of the drain configuration now, I need to replace the pipe to the main drain. My question is that the tub is a good 10 ft...

View more questions Search