Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Keambra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Where can I go to have my child tested for grade skipping?
    Well,. I have an 13 year old daughter,and she feels that she is doing the same work very year,she is in the 8th grade,I wouldn't say she's an A honor roll student but she does make good grade.The question is where in Albany can I have my child tested to skip the 8th grade,and go on to bigger an better opportunities and to learn new things.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 08:34 PM
    You can talk to her school counselor. But I honestly would not recommend letting her skip 8th grade. It's something that will prepare her for high school. 7th grade hasn't adequately prepared her. If she is not being challenged in class, I would suggest doing summer creative writing classes, or something to that effect. I can almost guarantee she will feel more challenged once she enters high school!
    softbalgrl1331 Posts: 157, Reputation: 10

Jul 10, 2008, 10:16 AM
    If she's not even on the Distinguished Honor Roll (all A's for my school) then she shouldn't be skipping a grade.

I have had Distinguished Honor Roll on 12 report cards (which is my entire middle school career) and I wouldn't even consider skipping a grade.

Your daughter is probably bored with the teaching because she doesn't pay attention so she wants to skip a grade and start over with something else.

Sorry if that's harsh, but that is how I look at this situation.
    wifemomteacher Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 08:54 PM
    As a middle school teacher & the mother of an 8th grader, I would not recommend grade skipping. Most students who MAY be academically ready for higher level curriculum are not socially & emotionally ready for the next grade level until they actually get there. Ask the school counselor what classes the school offers for accelerated students. Most school districts offer more rigorous or advanced classes for the top students.
    The other thing to do is to wonder why your daughter wants to skip a grade if she is not currently earning all A's. Young teens often say they are bored as an excuse or just because that's what young teens say. Probe deeper and see if something else is going on at school that would make your daughter want to skip a grade.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Yes, I don't have a much issue in younger grades,and even in the latter years of high school where grades and classes often can be mixed at times.
    But that 6th grade to 8 is a harder one because of the maturity changes.
    But you talk to your school couselor.
    kealeyh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2011, 02:58 PM
    I am 13 years old is there any way I can skip 7th grade and go straight too 8th. Is there any place in
    Fayettivlle NC. That I can get tested.. I am a honor role student. And I feel like I have been doing the same stuff for 2 years now .
    AthenaAtSchool Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2011, 01:25 PM
    I am also trying to skip a grade my grades are very high and I'm more mature then the students in my grade and well I'm in 6th I flunked 3rd so I want to go and accelerate to 7th or 8th.. I was told you must make super high grades like A's and or B's and talk to the adminisator or go to the people that own all the school for me is misd... Also some people told me summer school helps to bump you up a grade!
    Brianna1545571 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 02:45 PM
    My Child Is 13 Going To The 6th Grade She Was Held Back Because Of Her Behavior But She Makes A/B Honor Roll Every time And I Was Asking If There A Test In NC That My Daughter Can Take To Move Her To 8th Grade Were She's Suppose To Be Going Next Year.?
    stormingbob Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2014, 03:28 PM
    There is no test that I know of.
    However, you can appeal to her school's principal because she is smart enough

Mar 11, 2014, 03:28 PM
    There are tests that can move your daughter up.
    However, if she can't even make the all "A" honor roll, she should not skip a grade.
    Around 20% of all students make all "A"s in NC.
    (Honestly, making all "A/B"s is not difficult at all)

Mar 11, 2014, 03:29 PM
    Oops, sorry. Replied to the wrong comment
    :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I get my child tested for dyslexia [ 5 Answers ]

Hi this is the first time I have used this site.. can anyone tell me where I can get my child tested?? We live in oxford she I showing all the classic signs but the school she is in don't test for this so I really need help where to go and what to do many thanks

Skipping periods [ 3 Answers ]

I am a junior in high school, and I haven't had my period in six months. I know I'm not pregnant, because I am still a virgin. I am scared because it always skips, and I only have it like twice a year. And I don't know what to do.

Rope skipping [ 2 Answers ]

Is rope skipping a good exercise? Does it help to loose weight and to tone up? Can somebody please share their experience!

Skipping is addicting [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 16 year old girl in my 11th grade year at high school. For the past 2 years, I was an amazing kid. I got good grades and I learned a lot. I was even able to get enough credits to graduate this year. Which would be cool for the current situation that I am in at home. Like I said, I am...

View more questions Search