Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tubage3dai Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Two Grade 11 Physics questions (kinematics)
    1. An object is thrown vertically upward from a helicopter that is hovering 30.0m above the ground. The initial velocity of the object was 20.0m/s.
    a) Calculate the velocity with which the object hits the ground.
    b) Calculate the time it took for the object to reach the ground

For part a, why can't I use the formula vf^2=vo^2+2ad? Because then it would be
    vf^2=(20m/s)^2+2(-9.8m/s^2)(30m), and the right side of the equation will be negative, and it cannot be square rooted anymore
    Or should I first calculate the time

2. An object is thrown vertically upward. If this object takes 5.30s to go up and down, what height did it reach?

For this one, I simply don't know how to do it... so if anyone can provide me with some explanations, that will be great
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 06:30 AM
    For the first problem check your signs - the object ends up 30 m below its starting point, so the "d" term is -30, not +30. By using +30 you have just proved that the object never reaches a point 30m above the helicopter.

For the second, use the equation:

where and are both 0. Solve for . Then use that value in

where is 0 (since the velociity of the object is 0 at its maximum height), and solve for d.
    Mastamynda Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 05:05 AM
    For the first question
    Step1
    Use v=u-gt to find the time up to the maximum height, where v=0, which gives
    2sec.
    Step2
    Use s=ut+1/2gt^2 taking g as negative
    And using t=2 to find height. Which gives 20m
    Step3
    Add 20 and 30 to find the height to the ground
    Step4
    Use v^2=u^2+2gh to find the velocity which gives 31.6m/s
    Part b
    Since you are provided with the to and fro time.
    Divide the time given to find the time it took to reach the maximum heigh
    Then use s=ut+1/2gt^2, where u=0 which gives h=35.1m
    kkk1313 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 06:35 AM
    I thinj that there is wrong in the question .I had never listen about helicopter that throw things upward , so if you mean that it release it :

you use : vf^2 = vo^2+2ad where a=10m/s^2

and d = 30m
    hung2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 08:26 PM
    The distance from A to B is 400Km/m.A bus leave A at 4:55pm,second bus leave B at 3:05.Both bus travel at 115Km/h.At what point will the bus meet? Bus
    hung2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 08:29 PM
    Comment on hung2000's post
    Sorry 400km not 400km/h
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2010, 12:48 AM

Have you considered to draw a quick sketch?

Remember that:

Get two equations and solve simultaneously, being careful at the variables that you use.

Is the time correct? Because, if one bus leaves at 4.55 pm and the other one later, which must be at 3.05 am then they'll meet when the bus hasn't yet started from B... :confused:
    ajmatt89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 30, 2010, 07:40 PM
    for the first question you can't use that formula because the displacement is not 30m, since the object is thrown vertically upwards from the helicopter the displacement must be >30. What u have to understand for this question is that when the object hit the ground it's velocity is 0m/s. For the second question, visualize the entire thing as a parabola (with a maximum value), but it says that it took 5.3 secs, but this is the entire distance (we only need half the parabola) so u need to divide the time by two to get the time it took to travel from the start to half way. Which is 2.65s, now u have your givens : a=-9.8m/s^2, V2=0 m/s, and time= 2.65s. Now u can sub this in the equation d= V2(T) + (1/2A * T^2) to get your displacement which I found was 34.4m. Hope that helps and gl
    jecaroon14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2011, 11:20 PM
    a)Given: g=-9.9 m/s^2, v(initial)= 20 m/s, v(final)= 0 m/s
    d= vf^2-vi^2 all over 2(g)so that makes it like: 0^2-20^2 / 2(-9.8)
    the answer is going to be d=20.41 m. Add your answer to the 30 m given. You total height would now be
    50.41m. Now, since you have your distance already, use the formula vf= square root of vi^2 + 2gd. It
    will be like vf= square root of 0^2 + 2(-9.8)(-50.41) and the answer to that would be vf= 31.45 m/s.

b) For the time, just use the formula t= square root of 2d / g. You will substitute the given so it will
    be t= square root of 2(-50.41) / -9.8. The answer will be t= 3.41 s. You can also derive the solution
    for time from average velocity=d/t. Your derived formula would be t=d/v. In the first question, your
    distance was 50.41 right? It would fall from that height. Then, get the average velocity. Since it
    would start from the maximum height, the initial velocity must be 0. The final would be 31.45. 31.45 /
    2 would get 15.73. So put that in the formula. t=50.41/ 15.73. The answer would be 3.21 also.

2. Given: g=-9.8 m/s^2, t=5.30, and since it would fall down, the vf would be 0. So here, you would get
    time up and down. You would divide 5.30 and the answer would be 2.65. Use the formula vi= vf + gt.
    Substitute and you will have 0+(-9.8)(-2.65). The answer would be 25.97. That would be you initial
    velocity. Use that for the formula in distance which is d= vf^2-vi^2 all over 2(-9.8). The answer would
    be 34.41 m. If you would also use the formula d= vi(t) + 1/2 (g)(t)^2, substitute: d= 0(2.65) + 1/2
    (-9.8)(2.65)^2, the answer would also be 34.41 m. Using any other formulas would also result to this
    answer like d= average velocity times time.

Hope this helps!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 06:08 AM

Jecaroon:

Wecome to AMHD! I see you're new here, so let me offer some tips:

1. Note that the problem you're responding to was posted over 3 years ago. Please check the dates before bothering to answer.

2. In general on this board we do not provide complete solutions to homework problems, but rather we provide a bit of guidance and let the student try to finish it themselves. If the poster still has difficulty, he can always post back and ask for further guidance. Given that the OP hasn't asked for additional help on this in over three years, I suspect he's already turned his homework in.
    tirthbhatta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2011, 02:30 AM
    We Can Solve 1st question by using the formula v^2=u^2+2as.where a=9.8m/s^2& for calculate the time we use t=(V-U)/a

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics Grade 11 [ 8 Answers ]

A skier is going 8.2 m/s when she falls and starts sliding down the ski run. After 3 s, her velocity is 3.1 m/s. How long after she fell did she finally come to a stop? I need help

Grade 11 physics [ 46 Answers ]

This is a pretty good question and I have no clue for the answer, can someone help?:confused: According to newtons third law , when a horse pulls on a cart, the cart pulls back with an equal force on the horse. If, in fact, the cart pulls back on the horse as the horse pulls forward on the...

Grade 11 Physics [ 1 Answers ]

A car accelerates from rest at 8 m/s2. What distance will it travel in the fifth second?

Grade 11 Physics Homework important [ 1 Answers ]

hi, I'm new to this site... I have this assignment for physics (grade 11 university) and I don't understand, so whoever is answering this, can they please tell me everything in clear steps. There are many similar questions for practise but I just need one clear list of steps: There is a shape...

Physics grade 11 [ 1 Answers ]

A cave explorer drops a pebble into a cavern to find how far down it is to the water. The stone is heard hitting the water 1.8 s after release. If the speed of sound in the air in the cave is 345 m/s, how deep is the cavern? The answer is 15 m. How do you get this number using d=4.9(t)^2 and...

View more questions Search