Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skotty1234 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 03:20 PM
    How can I stop the update from Microsoft
    I have this problem which is annoying me it keep asking me to update to sp3 but I dun want to do it so what can I do to stop this ?
    DesElms Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Why don't you want to? SP3 turns XP into one of the most stable versions of Windows ever written. What would be the harm?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Destabilizing a stable system trying to make it more stable unnecessarily. (I'm just saying... )
    DesElms Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    Destabilizing a stable system trying to make it more stable unnecessarily. (I'm just saying...)
    But it's not really as simple as that, is it. I hate Microsoft; but its service packs are nearly always a good idea. We could argue why Microsoft's stuff is so crappy that it requires so many service packs, but that's another thread, altogether. SP3 fixes a whole bunch of little stuff, and introduces a small number of new functionalities that, while barely noticeable to the average user, are nevertheless potentially useful. Moreover, developers usually assume that customers' systems are more or less up-to-date. With Windows, avoiding a service pack nearly never has any good, rational or useful purpose. Though there are exceptions, of course, I usually only see it when the copy of the OS is bootlegged and the user is afraid that the service pack will contain something that will detect and disable it. I'm not saying that that's the case with the questioner, here. I'm just saying that there's almost no point in avoiding a service pack... especially on a mature system where it's extraordinarily likely that a third service pack will put some real polish on an already-reliable system.

Just my .02 worth... which my ex-wife will quickly point out is about all it's worth. [grin]
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Simply turn OFF the automatic updates.

As for SP3, I have been using it since beta on test systems and gold on production systems with ZERO issues.
    This isn't like SP2 as it doesn't make wide ranging system changes.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Simply turn OFF the automatic updates.

As for SP3, I have been using it since beta on test systems and gold on production systems with ZERO issues.
    This isn't like SP2 as it doesn't make wide ranging system changes.

Right - I actually PAID a computer person to tell me this. I had no idea and the upgrades were annoying. Now I upgrade every day or so in my own time frame.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 03:58 PM
    I bit the bullet and installed SP3 when it became an official Windows Update this week. No problems at all.
    miykle Posts: 34, Reputation: 8

Jul 12, 2008, 06:49 PM
    G'Day, Lot of stuff going round about SP3 but I've had no problems at all, best bet, I think anyway is to download as ISO and make a disk and install it that way.

Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Blessings Miykle
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Turn Off Automatic Updates as mentioned above

Start, settings, Control Panel, Click on Automatic Updates and put mark in
    "Turn off automatic updates" - Click Apply

About the 10th or so of every month, MS updates it's updates - so around the 10th of each month, Manually check for other updates and choose not to install the SP3 update and see what other updates may be avail.

Note: Future updates may be specific to have SP3 installed - but in the end it is user preference.
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Jul 13, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Why you hate to install SP3 ? This SP3 is good for me.. After I installed SP3 , my PC performance is stable .

Try it bro..

Thanks
    ABB
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

Jul 14, 2008, 08:52 AM
    One reason to not use SP3: bug means office 2007 doesn't install under it. Solution: roll back to sp2 install office 2007 and put back sp3 if you like

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Vista, Microsoft office 2007, Microsoft equation 3.0 [ 5 Answers ]

I have Microsoft Vista which I do not think really makes that much of a difference but I have Microsoft Office 2007 and I need to use Microsoft equation 3.0. I know I have it on my computer because I found it. I just don't know how to use it. I have taken a couple of tutorials and still can not...

How to update AVG antivirus Update to computer,which is not connect with internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Computer (No.A) is connected with internet. So I can get the update automatically. But, Computer (No.B, and No.C ) is not connect with internet. But we use the flash Drive and 3 1/2 Floppy disk. Without antivirus software, No.B & C can get the virus. Already having the antivirus software...

Microsoft xp home edition and Microsoft xp [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know how I can delete one of it so that I am able to use one properly. When I was re-installing XP home edition, I couldn't delete the partition (C) which contained another XP. Now I have two and thus a little bit confused. Can anyone help me with providing some...

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

View more questions Search