Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Mar 28, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Making applications
    I was approached by my brother the other day asking if I can make applications because I have general programming knowledge. The most I know is C. I didn't get all the info yet but I figured I would ask this question first. What programming language are most applications made from? I know this may be too general of a question but I was just curious. You can give the short versions of your answer as to not waste much time with it... yet. :D
    Thanks guys.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 28, 2006, 03:48 PM
    If you know C, try Borland C++ Builder. I use it and I love it.

Mar 28, 2006, 04:22 PM
    That's a thought. What type of applications do you generally make with that? Thanks CroCivic91.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 29, 2006, 03:41 AM
    I made all kinds of desktop applications with it... for example:
    - trojan horse
    - application for my high school, which helped someone make school schedule (when the given class uses which classroom)
    - application for selling tickets in a theatre
    - my own eBay search tool which runs once every day and does the given searches for me and saves the results in my folder
    - waking up application which starts winamp at the given time
    - chat for me and my friend, back in the days when we only had LAN and no Internet
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2006, 09:02 AM
    A Computer application is the use of programming tools to allow a task to be performed on a computer. Almost any piece of software can be considered an application.

Mar 29, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Thanks, Scott and Crocivic. I kind of knew that about the applications, I was just trying to get an idea as to the power of using C++ builder and the practical uses for it. This gives me some ideas to go on. Thanks again.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2006, 04:17 AM
    C isn't so powerful. Step up to C++ and you can do a lot. For example, a lot of computer games are written in C++.

Mar 30, 2006, 01:52 PM
    Unfortunately, time restricts me right now but it shouldn't be to hard to learn C++ right?
    Brett in Boston Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jduke44
    I was approached by my brother the other day asking if I can make applications bc I have general programming knowledge. The most I know is C. I didn't get all the info yet but I figured I would ask this question first. What programming language are most applications made from? I know this may be too general of a question but I was just curious. You can give the short versions of your answer as to not waste much time with it...yet. :D
    Thanks guys.
    If you know C, you will be able to develop applications in C++ relatively quickly. The caveat to that is that initially, your coding style (which is typically procedural in nature for C developers) will not open up the full power of the C++ language. Over time however, as you learn about and embrace object-oriented programming principles, you will become a stronger C++ developer.

My recommendation, assuming you are working on and developing for a Windows-based computer, would be to download and install Microsoft's Visual C++ Express Edition development product. It is free, yet has most of the basic capabilities of their more fully featured Visual Studio 2005 family of development tools. Hopefully, it will provide both a good starting point for learning more about developing applications for the Windows platform using C++, but also that experience will expand your capabilities as a developer in general, irrespective of the target platform you develop for in the future.

The link to the site at which you can obtain the Visual C++ Express Edition product is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

I hope this helps you in your efforts, and best wishes in your future coding endeavors.

Sincerely,
    Brett

Mar 13, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Even though this was a post I made a year ago it does help. I haven't had time to work on this but this would be good for the future . Thanks
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Mar 13, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Wow, and I was just about to suggest that we drop this topic since it's so old! Way to go jduke for sticking around! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making Out [ 19 Answers ]

Im 13, and Im probably the only one in here over the age of 12 that hasnt made out with anyone. My boyfriend is 15, so hes been thru that, so he wants to make out with me, but everytime he tries, I back away, because I dont know what to do! Can anyone help me here? :confused:

Making A Dvd [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have two hours of digital videotape on 8 mm Hi8 tape that I want to put on a DVD along with some still photos and music. I know there is software to help do this, but I don't know how to get from videotape to DVD. I don't know what hardware is needed, nor do I know which software is best. ...

Lost help files in Win XP applications [ 3 Answers ]

After installing SP2 lost XP Office applications help pages. Accessing help when in Excel or Word etc gives left hand pane with contents/index but right hand pane gives error message "Action Cancelled- Internet Explorer could not link web page..." etc etc. All files in Office\1033 folder seem OK...

Pause between two applications [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Friends, I have scheduled two applications to kick of in the night. I have written a batch file to execute these applications where the second application commences only after the first one finishes. How much time the first application takes to finish is not fixed. I want there to be a...

Running Applications [ 3 Answers ]

What is 'ntoskrnl.exe'? In my Running Applications window for Sygate (Firewall) it has five entries: PROTOCOL / STATUS / LOCAL PORT / LOCATION UDP / LISTEN / 445 / C:\WINNT\system32\ntoskrnl.exe TCP / LISTEN / 445 / ...

View more questions Search