Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nwilsonnd1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Trying to have my ex sign over his parental rights
    I have been trying for some time now to get my ex to sign over his parental rights. He never sees my son, we have been in and out of court for child support until recently he quit his job to get a job under the table. He owes a couple thousand dollars in child support arrears and I told his fiancé that if he would give up his parental rights I would wipe the slate clean and he wouldn't owe me any money. But I got no response from him. Is there anything further I can do in order for him to give up his parental rights?
    DesElms Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Nope... at least not as long as he's not harming or endangering the child.

If you can prove to the court, though, that he's working "under the table" so he can claim to the court that he has no job; and then if he actually does so, he will have perjured himself... which can also lead to a contempt of court charge... both of which can end-up in jail time. Plus, at that point, the IRS would probably be interested... and one never wants to screw with the IRS!

If you're going to pass messages along to him through his current squeeze, you might let him know, through her, that if he doesn't straighten up, a fate such as that is what is going to befall him.

Also, be careful what you promise in the way of wiping-out arrears child support. In most states, that's not your decision to make. It's the child's money, not yours. If the court ordered it, then he has to pay it, no matter what. Occasionally, with large arrears, and when the child has finally reached the age of 18, the prosecutor, in consultation with the custodial parent, will strike an agreement for a severely reduced lump-sum payment (or sometimes time payments over a very short period of tijme) with a non-custodial parent who owes arrears child support. But, in any case, in most states that's generally not your shot to call.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2008, 03:03 PM
    No there isn't anything you can do. If he dosen't agree to sign over his rights then there is no deal. Besides even if he did agree to it you would have to convince a judge to allow it which is pretty hard to do. You're better off going back to court to try to get the support owed. Also I'd quit trying to communicate through his fiancée that would rub a judge the wrong way like you are tying to mess up his relationship they (judges) tend to be more sypathetic if you go about things through court or with the child's father with out making demands (emotions can get the best of you).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Unless you have a new partner willing to adopt, it is not going to happen the way you want. First if you or the child would ever had to get any public assistance, the state will and can go after him for repayment.
    Next unless he would agree you just can't ( unless he is a threat or has been in prison or something)
    Next so he is working under the table, you take him back to court, prove his life style, where he lives, what he drives and it will prove he is lying to the court. Plus even not working all states have a min amount that is payable, normally set off min wage. So start trying to get him thrown in jail or get his drivers license suspended what ever your state allow

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

Ex says sign over parental rights or else! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am currently a single dad of a six year old boy. I met, and married a woman, and had a child with her. About 4 years ago, she took this child to Florida, (I live in Oregon) divorced me and I haven't seen him since. She immediately filed for child support at $500/mo,plus health,...

Sign over parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How can I and will it help that she recently married?:confused: >Moved from Forum Help<

He wants to sign over my parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

Before my husband and I met he dated this girl who told him she was on birth control and everything else. Well she got pregnant and he left for Iraq, he tried to be a part of the babies life then but she told him it wasn't his and she wanted nothing to do with him. He got out of the military and...

Can I sign off my parental rights [ 27 Answers ]

I have 2 kid that live in Washington state and I live in houston I want to sign off my rights can you do that or not I was told the only way was if my ex wife got married and the man wanted to adoped my 2 kids can anoy help me with this

View more questions Search