Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2006, 01:06 PM
    When Paying Off Credit Card..
    Can I bargain when paying off credit card w/out damaging my credit?
    I currently hold a balance of $5000 each on two separate cards. $2000 each of which is actually purchase fees, the rest is accrued interest. Can I bargain with the cardholders to pay a lower amount without hurting my credit? Any advice settling credit card debt deeply appreciated! :o
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Typically they do not bargain on the amount until after it's charged off... but if you do luck out and they will bargain, you do still suffer some in that the bad history will still show, and rather than showing as "paid in full" and a zero balance, they'll show it as "settled in full"... which creditors pick up on.

Bottom line: Your credit's already bad, so if they will settle for less, then go for it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 28, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Credit card providers will often be flexible on interest rates and fees, but not on balances.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj

Bottom line: Your credit's already bad, so if they will settle for less, then go for it.
    I'm not trying to be a snot here (jus' comes naturally I guess) but the original question was will it hurt the credit score.

The original question did not say anything about the credit score being already bad. Sure, carrying a high balance (and one that has been held for so long with high % rate as to rake in the interest) is not good for your rating, but if all other things are sound, you can still have a decent credit score that isn't bad.

So I'm not sure, without knowing the situation, that we should assume the best advice is built on the premise - well your score is bad anyway so why not?
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2006, 05:45 PM
    Hi All & thank you for the advice so far! My credit isn't great, no, but I don't really want to "knowingly" damage it more, especially that I'm at a point in my life where I can start fixing it, but I was just wondering if it's worth trying to save a couple thousand dollars now, knowing I am going to "start rebuilding" soon! I hope I'm not too confusing!
    srpenn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 10:18 AM
    I am Speaking from experience. Our credit was already ruined, so we let the stuff charge off, to get the offers on less than full balances. We got the offers, and we paid the balances, some at 75% off balance. Now, credit report reads: "Balance paid at less than full" So now, everything is paid, and we can re-establish the credit from a fresh start. Instead of staying behind forever.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Just a point here. You indeed have to "restablish" credit. Having debts listed as paid at less than full, is going to affect your credit score adversely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card debt [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a credit card company (Sears) to garnish your wages? And have access to your bank account? i.e to know when and how much money you deposite in your checking account.

Credit Card Judgement [ 6 Answers ]

What is a credit card judgement and what are my rights?

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

Paying Off A Spouses Credit Debts [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know something about paying off debts that a spouse made that one didn't know about and did not sign for her to get. The spouse died and the creditors are trying to make me pay for the debts that she made before she died that I didn't find out about until after her death. I...

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search