Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    path Posts: 65, Reputation: 5

Jul 9, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Gay rights
    My partner and I are moving from Indiana to Iowa. We had a domestic partnership agreement and wills made out here in Indiana. When we move to Iowa will we have to have these redone in Iowa?
    DesElms Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Probably. All agreements, contracts and other similar legal instruments are drafted pursuant to applicable law. The state in which one resides determines applicable law. Most agreements even have a declaration, near their ends, indicating under which state's laws the agreement will be adjudicated if there is ever a court case involving it. Your agreement was most likely drafted with Indiana's laws in mind. Iowa's laws may be sufficiently different that a new agreement will need to be drafted in order to afford you and your partner equivalent benefits, rights and responsibilities as are afforded by the Indiana agreement.

This is something about which you don't want to guess and speculate, however. Neither Indiana or Iowa are particularly friendly toward same-sex partnerships. How the agreement should be worded in order to have a prayer of enforceability could be tricky. You definitely need to see an attorney in Iowa who has experience in this area. From my cursory Googling on the subject, it seems there are many of them in Iowa who understand well this particular area of law. You should have no trouble finding one. But by all means, find one; and get competent legal advice.

Jul 9, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Thanks DESELMS, we did that when I moved to Indiana we got a gay lawyer because we felt she would really know the ins and outs of the law.
    DesElms Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2008, 11:30 AM
    You and your partner should come out to California and get married. As of the California Supreme Court's ruling on May 15th, it's completely and enforceably legal in California right now... though it's unclear if that will still be the case after the general election in November when there is a constitutional amendment on the ballot which, if passed, would make same-sex marriage unconstitutional in California.

If that happens, because of precisely the way that the Court ruled, it's quite likely that the US Supreme Court will overturn the November ballot. But even if that doesn't happen, one thing that pretty much all attorneys are agreeing on is that marriages solemnified between June 16th and the November general election will remain legal, no matter how the voters vote.

States like Massachusetts, which also allow same-sex marriages, will, of course, always honor a California marriage. So will states like New York which, while they don't allow same-sex marriages, have ruled in court that they will honor any other state's marriage as long as it was lawful at the time.

Of course, the federal government is probably years away from ever honoring same-sex marriages, so the benefits -- as you already know from your partnership situation -- are limited at the federal level (filing federal taxes, for example, or Social Security survivior's benefits, etc.).

Still, I believe that this situation will not always be the case; that same-sex marriages will be recognized by all states, and at the federal level... just probably not in my lifetime (I'm 51, at this writing).

Getting married -- even if it means driving out to California to do it -- makes a statement. You'll still be just domestic partners in Iowa, of course... at least for now; but you'll be unambiguous about what you believe are your rights. And you'll know, Iowa laws be damned, that you're married. To you, you'll be married... and to those who know and love you. And if you ever move to California -- even if the vote in November makes unconstitutional same-sex marriage thereafter -- you'll still always be married... for real.

I'm a sworn Commissioner of Civil Ceremonies in California, and since June 16th, I've officiated at... I think it's 17... same-sex weddings. Every one of them was joyful and emotional. Most of them have waited many, many years; and had had private, not-legally-binding marriage ceremonies, or had registered as domestic partners; but they just couldn't believe that actually being legally -- really and truly legallly -- married was finally happening. The tears, the hugging, the support from family and friends...

... as a witness to it all, it has been life-changing for me. I'm moved, beyond my ability to adequately put into words, by it. And honored to have been able to play my small role.

So you should come out to California and get married. Of the 17 couples over whose ceremonies I officiated, about a third of them were from out of state... taking advantage of this possibly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make it official in a place where it really is legal, even if they return the next day to a place where it isn't. They have faith, as do I, that that will not always be the case; and they want to be able to say that they've been married for a long time before said marriage is finally recognized.

Let me know if you'd like me to officiate!

Good luck to you.

Jul 10, 2008, 06:07 AM
    Thanks. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Tenet rights vs housemates rights for removal of housemate [ 3 Answers ]

Good day everyone. My question is this: Can I have my housemate evicted from my apartment if she has not paid her part of the rent for several months? She is on the lease as a occupant only. I know I can have her removed from the lease by submitting it in writing to the landlord. I have receipts as...

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

Guaranteed rights, not amendment or bill of rights [ 3 Answers ]

What are the rights guaranteed in the Constitution (not including the Bill of Rights or other amendments)? The constitution protects the right of domestic peace. We have the right to be represented. If we are going to pay taxes then we are going to be represented. I am really confused by...

View more questions Search