Ask
    channy1981 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 07:02 AM
    What can be found in a blood test
    What can a blood test pick up can it pick anything serious up
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 07:17 AM
    A blood test, ordered by your doctor, will alert him to possible conditions that might occur, such as prediabetes, and autoimmune diseases. However your doctor can order up a general blood test and unless he thinks there is something wrong in these areas, will order additional categories.
    channy1981 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Can it pick up cancer
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Some doctors order "cancer markers" or "tumor markers" to detect possible cancer activity in the body. If cancer is present, it will usually produce a specific protein in the blood, that can serve as a "marker" for the cancer. CA 15.3 is the name of a protein used to find breast and ovarian cancers. CA125 may signal ovarian and breast cancer recurrence. TRU-QUANT and CA 27.29 are other examples of proteins associated with breast cancer, which your doctor may test for. CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) is a marker for the presence of colon, lung, and liver cancers. This marker may be used to determine if cancer has spread to other areas of the body.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Negative blood test and urine test! [ 11 Answers ]

Hey umm I am 3 and a half months late for my period. And I have taken several home pregnancy test and 1 blood test... all negative.during the 1st month I lost weight and now I have gained weight... just like when I was pregnant with my son. Who is almost 10 months. I've never ever been late...

My husband found blood on his chest, as he got out of the shower [ 2 Answers ]

My husband found blood on his chest as he had just got out of the shower, there were no cuts, then when I looked at my white t shirt there was a blood stain on the same spot, no injury inflicted on either of us.

Blood test or pregnancy test? [ 3 Answers ]

Is a blood test more accurate to tell if someone is pregnant than a pregancy test?

Negative pregnant test and blood test. Could I still be pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

I had an ectopic pregnancy in October 2006, and have been trying to conceive since January 07, I am 1week late for my period and have had many signs of pregnancy, including spotting a week before my period was due, since then I have had 5 negative home pregnancy tests, and a hcg level of below 1.5...

Puppy found that won't eat, blood in stool, dehydrated [ 3 Answers ]

What can I do to save this puppy I found in a box in the rain until a vet is available:confused: ? He is a very young sharpei, won't eat, looking for mother I think, so I put a ticking clock in his bed, blood in his stool (loose), dehydrated.

View more questions Search