Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anita2bmt Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 05:56 AM
    IE opens from shortcuts as minimized
    I know this is just an annoying problem... but it bugs me!

I have saved a few websites as shortcuts to go straight to them without having to open IE and then go to favorites. But no matter how I save them, they always open minimized (or not really, but "tiled" or "medium sized") but I want them to open maximized always. Any suggestions? I have tried the "Properties" for the shortcut, but there are no choices to select there.

Thank you! I love AMHD!!

Anita
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 03:40 PM
    My experience with IE is that it attempts to remember the window state of the last browser window opened, or maybe it's the first, or maybe it's every other window. I'm not really sure as it never seems to be consistent and its one of the things that pisses me off about IE and Microsoft products in general. So when it goes awry, what I usually do is open one browser window, adjust it to how I like it, and then close it. Sometimes I have to manually resize the window to maximum by grabbing the borders, close it, reopen it (hopefully it remembered), then hit the maximize button, and close it again to get the maximized to "stick".

All that said, I just recently switched to Firefox 3 after upgrading to IE 7 and discovering it's stupid @#$%^ favorite organization limitations. Suggest you do the same, nothing's annoyed me... yet.
    anita2bmt Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Rats!!

Random is right. I was hoping there was some nice little button to click to solve my problem.

Thanks anyway!!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 9, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anita2bmt
    I was hoping there was some nice little button to click to solve my problem.
    There is - the maximize button. You just have to cajole the browser into the right mood first.
    MC Shaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anita2bmt View Post
    I know this is just an annoying problem...but it bugs me!

I have saved a few websites as shortcuts to go straight to them without having to open IE and then go to favorites. But no matter how I save them, they always open minimized (or not really, but "tiled" or "medium sized") but I want them to open maximized always. Any suggestions? I have tried the "Properties" for the shortcut, but there are no choices to select there.

Thank you! I love AMHD!

Anita
    Using desktop URL shortcuts, IE9 consistently opens in a minimized window. Various methods of forcing it to open maximized did not work for me. Pulling the edges of the small window to full size and then closing the window in one way or another did not work. Changing the Registry key FullScreen to Yes gives you a full window but no tool bars. You can't change the Run command on the shortcut to Maximized because this option does not exist on desktop URL shortcuts.

But this is the key to the solution. Regular shortcuts, as in the Start Menu, do have the option of running maximized. Go to the Start Menu shortcut for IE9. Make sure the option under Run is set for Maximized. Do this by right clicking on the shortcut, and selecting Properties. Change the drop-down menu under Run to Maximized, then click Apply.

Then right click again on the IE shortcut and click copy. Go to the Desktop, right click, and click on Paste. Now you have a generic IE shortcut. Right click on the desktop URL shortcut that is opening minimized. Copy the URL, and close this window. Right click on the new IE shortcut you just made. Paste the URL you just copied in the Target box after the IE startup address. Make sure you leave a space between this IE address and the URL you are pasting. If you do not leave a space, Windows will reject your change. Close the window.

Now you have a conventional shortcut (not a desktop URL shortcut) and it will always open your desired website in a full window. Rename the shortcut to indicate your chosen website, and perhaps change the icon.
    Delete the original URL shortcut that was giving you trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reply message minimized [ 1 Answers ]

Windows Mail opens minimized after Vista downloaded a bunch of updates. When I click on reply, a new message opens minimized. I have to right-click on it and maximize it to respond. I'm unable to drage the size I want because when I maximize the window the edges are slightly beyond the edge of my...

Minimized program buttons in taskbar very small [ 1 Answers ]

taskbar.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting That's a picture of the taskbar on my computer. As you can see, the minimized programs there are very short and... well, button-like. Even if I switch the theme to Windows Classic, the buttons are still short, and only a small portion...

Minimized web sites disappear [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am new and not sure I have the correct area... I did see another question similar to mine but I couldn't find the continuation of the answer. When I minimize a web page to the task bar, then go back to Internet Explorer to click on another web site, my first site disappears from the task...

Minimized web pages are replaced. [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I am new to this site so if this is a stupid question please be understanding. Every time I minimize a web page and go to another web page, the first web Page disappears. I cannot ever have more than one web page open at a Time. Can someone help me with this problem? Thanks.

.exe Files Won't Run From Shortcuts [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here and have a problem with my PC. Last night while on the internet, a small window popped up which said something like " Windows will now shutdown". In the grey box below was the message "oh no :-(". My computer then shut down & automatically restarted. I have McAfee Viruscan and...

View more questions Search