Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KevinG Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Question about an electrical panel
    I am in the plannnig stage of a basement remodel. I checked the breaker box and found that I have 2 circuits currently in the basement. One is for 8 overhead lights and one is for 4 GFI outlets located around the basement.

My question is, there are 5 open slots in the panel that I could use for new circuits but the bottom 2, side by side, have a sticker over them saying not to punch these out. Can anyone give me an idea why I wouldn't be able to use these last two.

All the breakers are 20 AMP and the house was built in 2002. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2006, 12:58 PM
    The space behind the breaker blanks labeled "Do Not Remove" do not have bus bar tabs ready to accept circuit breakers. This can be for a couple of reasons. Usually this is because the panel box and cover is be built for both a 20 circuit and a 24 circuit panel interior, and you have the 20 circuit panel.

If you had a 24 circuit panel, the box and cover is the same, with a 24 circuit interior installed.

To add more breakers, you will probably need to use either half size or tandem breakers. GE makes half size breakers so that two can be fit into a space for one standard breaker. Other brands, such as Square D , make one standard size breaker with two breakers built into one.

You will need to check to see if the panel can accept tandem breakers.
    KevinG Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply TK.

Using tandem breakers will give me 8 available circuits which will be plenty for my basement.

I'm sure to become a regular here as I get deeper into this project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a electrical sub panel [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to add a attached garage with an adjoining workshop. My main pane has no open slots, my question is can I connect to the main wires coming into the panel, and go to a sub panel with a 50amp breaker. If so what size/length wire do I use? Thanks Joel . Email [email protected]

Sub-panel AMP amount question [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 150 amp main and a full 150 amp circuit breaker box with a number of doubled 20 amp breakers. Can I still add a sub panel? If so, how does one calculate the maximum amount in amps of such a sub panel? -Terry

Another flat panel question [ 4 Answers ]

I have been reading up on 19' flat panel monitors in anticipation of buying one. I am a little confused by the native resolution thing. I am over 50 years old and a little worried about text and picture imge size as I do a lot of online reading and a fair amount of photo processing. If I understand...

125 amp sub panel [ 5 Answers ]

What size wire do I need to pull for a 125 amp sub panel. Thank you

Question on 100 amp service/panel [ 1 Answers ]

HI, glad to have found this place, I have an electricl question hopefully Ic an find the answer to here... Is there any way to have 150 amp service added to my 100 amp box? (Giving me total capacity of 150 amps) I just replaced my old fed pacific main panel and sub panel w/ cutler hammer...

View more questions Search