Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bfunone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 11:59 PM
    Can a co signed loan be left out?
    I have a co signed loan and want to leave it out of my bankruptcy and continue to pay for it myself. Can I do this? What would happen if "they" found out? I don't want this going to the person that cosigned the loan for me. Debts and bills have gotten out of hand and I don't see any other choice that I have. I live in Ontario, Canada.
    With us having a joint account could "they" go after the person that I have the joint account with?

Advice would be greatly appreciated
    DesElms Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2008, 12:22 AM
    If you lived in the US, the answer would be: Absolutely not! You must report all debts... all of them. If you don't, it's perjury... a crime punishable by both fine and jail time. Bankruptcy court is FEDERAL court; and the feds take perjury seriously. And, were you in the US, the second part of your question about whether "they" (whomever "they" is) can "go after" the co-signer is a qualified "yes." By "yes," I mean that if one co-signer files bankruptcy in the US, the remaining co-signer who did not file bankruptcy is precisely who the creditor will "go after" to seek payment alternative to the primary debtor who has now filed bankruptcy. Bankruptcy would not protect the co-signer unless said co-signer also filed bankruptcy. That's what a co-signer means. When the primary debtor can't pay, the co-signer must pay instead. That's how it works. In fact, the co-signer, if he/she paid, would then become one of your creditors... someone whom you must notify of your bankruptcy, just like all your other creditors. And he/she would then have to "stand in line" along with all the other creditors to get his/her piece of whatever of your assets are ultimately liquidated to pay-off as much of your debt as can be paid. Your relationship with said co-signer, at that point, would be adversarial... requiring each of you to retain your own counsel. It definitely ain't pretty!

But, alas, you live in Canada... where the laws may be very different. I suspect that you must report everything there, too; but you really need to speak with a bankruptcy attorney. Another reason to speak with a bankruptcy attorney is that you might find that filing bankruptcy isn't necessarily your best option.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Quick answer Question 1: 'NO'.
    Quick answer Question 2: 'Yes"

You can give preference for one unsecured creditor over another. A cosigner does not make the debt secured. The debt is discharged and that leaves the cosigner responsible. You may wish to give some of your disposable income to the cosigner to deal with the debt.

A joint account renders all owners of the joint account sigularily and jointly responsible for the entire joint debt. One party goes bankrupt... the other still owes the full amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loan signed under duress. [ 11 Answers ]

My father underwent a major surgery about a year ago. Before the surgery, he was convinced to add his parents' names to the deed of his house in case something happened to him in the surgery. My father came through the surgery fine, and recovered at my grandparent's house. But one day there, my...

Co-signed a motorcycle loan. [ 1 Answers ]

I co-signed for my ex-boyfirend's son on a loan of $10,000.00. He is not making the payments. What can I do to protect my credit and do I have legal rights to the motorcycle. How do I legally retrieve the motorcycle?

Can I Sue to Get Out of Co-Signed Loan? [ 1 Answers ]

I made the terrible mistake of co-signing a car loan for a friend. I am forced to pay her car insurance because she won't. My credit is affected because she doesn't make a payment until just before she is threatened with repossession. She refuses to sell the car. What can I do to get myself off...

Co-signed a loan now my son is not paying for the car I am [ 1 Answers ]

I am curious to know what my legal rights are. The situation is my son was unable to get approved for a loan on a vehicle. I signed with him and he has since missed payments that I have made to insure my credit line. What are my options? I live in Tennessee

Co signed car loan and title [ 12 Answers ]

I cosigned on an auto loan with our daughter. The car title and loan are in both of our names. She is going to move out and has been unreliable in making payments. I have had to bail her out more than once. I want her to either get the loan and title in her name alone or turn in her car. She...

View more questions Search