Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michael_martin22 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 10:23 PM
    What scholarships/grants can a person apply for?
    Im getting out of the military, so I'm not even 100% sure that I will get my GI Bill... so, that being said... what would be the best one to apply for? Also... my wife has nothing but a G.E.D and is wanting to start college... what should she apply for?
    free grants Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Talent Search or Upward Bound is a scholarship that help students improve their chances of getting into college through tutoring, mentoring, and financial aid counseling.

AmeriCorps and VISTA is a federal funded program that offers money for college in exchange for jobs serving the community. AmeriCorps members earn minimum wage while working, and are awarded for college upon finishing. VISTA forgives student loans in exchange for student service

Or you can inquire at the Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) office or website, available from college financial aid offices. The Federal government also provides Direct Students Loans, Stafford and Perkins loans, which are available at low interest
    fjsmith81 Posts: 122, Reputation: 11

Jul 9, 2008, 11:11 PM
    I don't know what state you live in, but fill out the FAFSA. I will almost guarantee that it is too late for you to get state funding, but you will be able to get federal funding such as the pell grant. Because you are applying so late you might have to take out subsidized and unsubsidized federal loans. Don't panic though they are the best loans to have. You don't have to pay them back until you have either graduated or decided to leave school for more than I think six months. The reason that I only give you those options are because if you are trying to go to school this upcoming semester a lot of the scholarships that you should have applied for are way past the deadline so even if you qualify for them you probably won't get them because of the time. So I just say take out the loans and get the pell grant and go to school for the first year (the both of you) get really good grades and then apply for the scholarships at your school, because they usually have great scholarships and apply again for the fafsa(cause you have to apply every year). I was in the same situation and I did it that way and I tripled the amount of money I got back the next year. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grants or scholarships for felons [ 1 Answers ]

My son was recently released from prison. He is enrolling in a tech college. Are there any grants or scholarships to help him with his education and if so where do we apply?

Grants/Scholarships for single moms? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mom and I am going to school in Texas. Has anyone gotten any help due to being a single parent? Thanks for any help!

Grants & Scholarships [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best website to get grants & scholarships?

Suggestions for scholarships and grants [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, here's the thing. My name's Jason and I'm really in a bind at the moment. I'm 18 years old and I really need to start getting my life together. I live in Florence, SC and I'm getting ready to try for my GED at Poynor, and I'd like to go to Francis Marion College after I do get my GED, but I...

View more questions Search