Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jul 9, 2008, 12:49 AM
    It is called PTSD! Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It isn't a matter of enjoying their "job". They are defending their country. They tell stories to have some sort of camaraderie with others who know what they have been through. They may laugh, cry, get depressed, and have many other emotions that none of us can understand unless we've been there. I don't think this is a matter of "poor me", or wanting sympathy. This is a real disorder, that a lot of military men and women have to deal with when they see the unimaginable things that this war has ingrained into their minds.

Your friend may have what is sometimes referred to as "shell shock". It doesn't matter how long ago he was in Iraq, or Afganistan. It could be 20 or 30 years from now, and it could still trigger memories.

Ask if your friend is willing to go talk to a professional therapist, that specializes in PTSD. There are Dr.'s that are specifically trained to treat people like your friend, and help him with everyday issues that will affect normal everyday life.

Good luck to your friend, and respect him for defending your country.
    BigS Posts: 80, Reputation: 6

Aug 19, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Thanks everyone for all the information :) . (Special thanks to starby and Bigbopper)Good news, two of my friends has sought help and they are doing better, not totally well, just taking one day at a time. They told me something about having a break through and being able to talk to the right person about what's on their mind. They also spoke of being honest with themselves. Once again thanks; oh and one other thing I had no idea that this whole ordeal had depressed me a great deal. Although I have done nothing to help them and I had seemed selfish and insensitive; I was worried and did care but didn't quite understand the PTSD stuff until you all explained it to me. I too feel like a weight has been lifted of my shoulders. Thanks everyone.:D
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 19, 2008, 09:54 AM
    I'm so glad that the advice helped you and your friends! :) I don't think you were being selfish or insensitive, you just didn't understand what your friends were going through, so when you don't understand, it is hard to give any help. I think it's great that you cared enough to ask your question to begin with!

It's nice to know that we helped out a little bit. Best of luck to you, and we're happy to help if we can, anytime!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My best friend is boy crazy. She's nice but she hooks up a lot and called me a slut. [ 7 Answers ]

Okay, I have this friend. And she called me a slut for what I say sometimes. But the next day she went out and hooked up with my crush 5 times. But I didn't tell her I liked him. And then she told me and brags about it. The next day we had a bat mitvah and she's all over these kids, austin,...

Slept with my neighbour/friend/ex's friend/he has a girlfriend [ 20 Answers ]

So I was drinking at my friends house when he showed up just in time to give me a ride home and we've lived across the road from each other for quite some time now and we were friends in grade 7 until now... we're both 19. I had a great night with him we were up until 6 and woke up at 9: 30 to do...

I fall in love with my best friend he still considers me just dear friend can I chang [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know if I can change the way he loves me , knowing that he always loves to talk with me Can this change? Can we become good couple? Thanks all...

Best Friend Boy Crazy [ 3 Answers ]

:eek: My friend is boy crazy. She started dating her best friend tyler and she broke up with him in about a week because she didn't want to ruin their friendship. But then she dated her BEST FRIENDS, BEST FRIEND. Now she broke up with him and the boys are not friends. She feels really bad. She asks...

Crazy friend! [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I have this friend that I feel is going crazy!! She is a mess, and as much as I'd like to help her. She really isn't going to get help, intell she is ready to help herself. So please help with any thoughts or suggestions. This girl is 33 years old and has a drinking problem. I've...

View more questions Search