Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tammyp Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2006, 03:59 AM
    Puppy Is Still Biting! Help
    Thank you for the advice on trying to solve my problem with my puppy's(labxgsd - now 12wks) excessive biting. I have tried holding her front legs up from behind - it works but just for a short while, 10 minutes later she comes back to bite. I have had her from 6wks - she was not that bad before. It has been getting worse cos now she won't allow me to do anything without being in the centre bitng my legs. Is there something else i could do? The problem has become so bad that i have to shout at her which doesn't help & i end up in tears cos it is really sore.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2006, 06:37 AM
    HI,
    Holding her front legs up isn't going to solve the biting issue; nor will shouting.
    You are the one who has to let her know that she is not "boss", or dominant.
    You have to be her boss, not the other way around.
    Here is what to do:
    The next time she bites you, immediately push her firmly down with your fingers, on her neck, head, or body, and say loudly "Shhh-h-h-h-h". You have to be firm, and not afraid. This will cause her to either to sit back, or lie down. Don't HIT her.
    This will get her attention, and she will forget for an instance about biting you. Gently massage her neck, getting her attention off biting you.
    The very next time she bites you, do it again. KEEP doing it, immediately after she bites you, EVERY time.
    Persistence is the key. It willl not work if you don't do it every time.
    It will take awhile, maybe a week or two, until she gets the idea that you are boss, not her.

As a puppy owner, I highly recommend a video by Ceaser Millan, a Professional Dog Behaviorist. He rehabilitates dogs, and trains people.
    He has his own TV program, the Dog Whisperer, on the NGEO (National Geographic) channel, on Friday nights; sometimes other days of the week. This video is available from:
    http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

There are other good videos available on the web, but this one is really worth your attention.
    I do wish you the best of luck; and hang in there with her training about not biting you.
    sjordan6247 Posts: 13, Reputation: 4

May 30, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tammyp
    THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE ON TRYING TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM WITH MY PUPPY'S(LABxGSD - NOW 12WKS) EXCESSIVE BITING. I HAVE TRIED HOLDING HER FRONT LEGS UP FROM BEHIND - IT WORKS BUT JUST FOR A SHORT WHILE, 10 MINS LATER SHE COMES BACK TO BITE. I HAVE HAD HER FROM 6WKS - SHE WAS NOT THAT BAD BEFORE. IT HAS BEEN GETTING WORSE COS NOW SHE WONT ALLOW ME TO DO ANYTHING WITHOUT BEING IN THE CENTRE BITNG MY LEGS. IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I COULD DO? THE PROBLEM HAS BECOME SO BAD THAT I HAVE TO SHOUT AT HER WHICH DOESNT HELP & I END UP IN TEARS COS IT IS REALLY SORE.
    I always sprayed my dog with water from a spray bottle. He hated getting the tip of his nose wet. Snap your fingers loudly in front of the dogs face and he will stop. I also would take my finger sometimes and lay it across his nose perpendicular and gently press down just enough that he knew what I meant without pushing his head down.

But another thought, don't play any tug of war games with him and he will probably stop. My dog was an EXTREMELY aggressive puppy. Our vet recommended not playing tug with him at all and after about a month he did not bite or act aggressive towards anyone. We always would play fetch or we would squeak toys together. I started him on clicker training recently and it really works. It is so weird to see how much he has changed. I can remember bringing him home the first time and he wouldn't even let me hold him in my lap without pitching a fit. It took about two days for him to give in and be sociable. Now, I can't get him out of my lap.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

May 31, 2007, 05:23 AM
    Be the boss, It sounds like a case of your dog is well on the way to assuming a dominant roll in your home.. Do not be afraid to issue correction, A stern NO and place him in the sit, if he moves out place him back in the sit or down.. either or until he remains in that position.. You will not hurt your dogs feelings, and he will not hold it against you for correcting him.. The only reason that he continues to bite is that he has not been conditioned to understand that this is not an acceptable behavior. Be stern, Be Firm, Be Fair, and Be loving.. Set Rules.. pawsdogdaycare
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 09:36 AM
    I see no reason to dig up threads over a year old, or apply stern methods to a 12 week old puppy engaging in normal puppy behavior. Yes as I have posted many times it is important to give a puppy strong leadership from the beginning. And the squirt bottle may be a good tool in some cases. The trend is toward more positive methods and fewer major corrections. The best way to deal with a biting puppy is to yelp like a litter mate bitten too hard and leave. Done consistently. The puppy will give it up. It is also something you can teach a small child. Note, small puppies and small children require constant supervision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dachshund Puppy biting [ 3 Answers ]

We have a new mini Dachshund Puppy. The problem we are having is she gets snippy with us. Sometimes when you pick her up she growls and bits at you. She has even bitten my daughters face. How do I stop this behavior? This is my first dog ever so I'm really in the dark about the training....

My puppy has a biting Problem! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 month golden retriever who we had for 1 month now, he has a biting problem, he bites us and when we try to get him off us he just gets more aggressive and just keeps biting harder. Just today I was outside and he (my puppy) was having a good time when all of a sudden he struck me and...

Puppy Biting [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 week old puppy. He is constantly biting at me and the kids. Help! How can we stop this ?

Puppy biting/chewing her fur [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old female westie. She has periodically chewed the fur on the front of her front legs. I've corrected her every time I've witnessed her in action. But I think she figured it out that she can chew when I'm not around and get away with it because now her front legs have bare spots...

Biting puppy [ 3 Answers ]

We brought home a beagle/hound mix puppy that was abandoned near my husbands work. We took her to the vet and she has been dewormed, defleaed and had her first shots (she is 12 weeks old). She was pretty thin when we brought her home but is now coming along nicely and is putting on weight. ...

View more questions Search