Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    packer04 Posts: 105, Reputation: 2

Jul 8, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Will bankruptcy affect any future partner I may marry?
    I filed bankruptcy in 2007 after my divorce(due to ex opening up accounts without my knowledge and spending beyond his means) I filed it as they couldn't find my ex and I couldn't pay off the debts he had amassed unknown to me. I would like someday to get married again, but would like to know how that will affect a future partners credit. I have since gotten a car and started over again. But I want to make sure it won't affect anyone in my future. I am very good with money and credit, but was with a person whom wasn't as I found out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 01:26 PM
    No, if during the next 10 years you apply for credit in your name on it, it will show up. So while it will not effect a new husband directly, if you marry and want to buy a home together, it may lower your total score if they are looking at both your and his credit.
    But again, it is done, 1000's file every year, should be the least of your worries about finding a new partner.
    kumudini33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2011, 11:47 AM
    No it shouldn't as the debts were not joint and had nothing to do with her however she may need to know because it may adversely affect your credit should you both decide to buy a house

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How foreclosure vs bankruptcy affect a joint account [ 1 Answers ]

Hi folks, We are in a peculiar situation, hoping that we could get some advise. Situation: over 12 yrs ago my wife had some savings (approx $7k) and opened an account with vanguard. On advise of her parents, the account was opened as a joint account with her brother, so if anything would...

How does bankruptcy affect a joint borrower? [ 3 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend filed bankruptcy, I did not. I am the joint/co borrow on several loans with him including a mortgage an auto loan and home equity loan. How does this affect me? Will I lose these? Does this affect my credit? :confused:

Does Past felonies affect future court dates. [ 1 Answers ]

I am taking someone to court who has a history of past and present felonies some were reduced, But all were seen by a judge , One is still pending. If I wanted can as use these criminal charges as a show of their charater

If my husband file a bankruptcy will that going to affect me [ 5 Answers ]

I got married 10 months ago. I still live in Canada waiting for my Immigration papers. If my husband file a bankruptcy Will that affect my credit and Immigration papers. In this case will he still sponsor me. His net income is 3300/mth. Do they include as a asset my car which I own before get...

View more questions Search