Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alana1970 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Transferring to public school after home schooling
    Can this be done? I plan on homeschooling my 14 year old who is in ninth grade I was told to send a letter now to the district to inform them. If by September I were to change my mind can I then enroll him in any school of my choice or how does it work? I live in NYC
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 10:28 AM
    You have a deadline to inform your school district and other records to keep

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_York.pdf

1. These home school regulations require parents to do the following:
    a. submit a notice of intent to home school to the district superintendent by July 1 (the beginning of the school year) annually, or within fourteen days of starting home schooling during the middle of a school year.
    b. subsequently, fill out an Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) form by August 15th or within four weeks of the receipt of the IHIP form from the school district (whichever is later), containing (1) the child's name, age, and grade level; (2) a list of the syllabi, curriculum materials, textbooks, or a plan of instruction; (3) dates for submission of quarterly reports; and (d) name of the persons giving instruction.

New York NY-2 c. maintain records of attendance (180 days). Only required to be submitted upon request of the superintendent.
    d. file quarterly reports giving (1) the number of hours of instruction during quarter, (2) a description of the material covered in each subject, and (3) a grade or narrative evaluation in each subject (the superintendent has no authority to judge the adequacy of these reports); and
    e. file an annual assessment with the last quarterly report. The assessment can either be a norm-referenced achievement test, or a written narrative evaluation.
    The achievement test can be administered by a certified teacher or by another "qualified person." A certified teacher, a home instruction peer group review panel, or other person can conduct the written narrative evaluation. Unless the assessment is administered at the local public school or a registered nonpublic school the parent is to choose the individual "with the consent of the superintendent." We suggest simply notifying the superintendent of your choice in the third quarterly report.
    For grades one through three, the written narrative evaluation may be used. In grades four through eight, the written narrative evaluation may be used every other year. Beginning with ninth grade, standardized testing must be done every year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home schooling bad? [ 8 Answers ]

Is home schooling a bad thing?

Home school vs. Public school? [ 53 Answers ]

My husband and I have decided to home school our children because we do not feel that the public education systems are very good these days. When we were in public school the teachers spent more time trying to control and disipline the class or individual students then they spent teaching. I also...

Home schooling [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to take my ged at home or find a school where I can receive my diploma I work during the day and have a child so I really can't afford to pay for it is there any on line programs that maybe is free, or does not cost too much.

Home Schooling [ 2 Answers ]

Can you create you, your own Home Study program ?

View more questions Search