Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldie_9256 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Debt Settlement
    I am in the process of trying to settle over $60,000 in credit card debt. Realistically, what percent of that amount will I end up settling on? I was told to start at a minimum of 25% and go from there, however, from reading some of the questions and answers, I am getting a bit nervous. For example.. we owe Providian (now WAMU), $15,000 and IBS/FIA which I believe is Bank of America $15,000. These are the 2 I am worried about. I have settled with Wells Fargo for 40% of the balance, so of the money I was able to pull together, I now only have $18,000 left. I called a debt settlement company and named a few creditors.. the gentleman told me that Bank of Americal will settle for 15-20% of the balance. Unfortunately, I did not ask about the Providian one. Also, should I wait for the collection agency to call/write or should I try to initiate the settlement before it gets out of hand?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 8, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Once the collection agencies start calling, things get very complicated quickly. I would suggest call the major creditors and try to negotiate payments before that happens. There is no reason they can't do this.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2008, 02:18 PM
    The only way... You will have to convince them, one by one, that they will get more money dealing with you and taking a settlement than sueing you and getting a judgment or selling the account to a collector. The lower limit for most banks is around a 40% of the total balance. It will help you if you make yourself appear as poor, no money in accounts, no assets. Whatever money you have to settle take it in cash and put it in a safe deposit box, same with any assets you have... CDs, property... Is a good time to sell, cash, and hide until the mess is settled.
    cheerry777 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 12:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie_9256
    I am in the process of trying to settle over $60,000 in credit card debt. Realistically, what percent of that amount will I end up settling on? I was told to start at a minimum of 25% and go from there, however, from reading some of the questions and answers, I am getting a bit nervous. For example..we owe Providian (now WAMU), $15,000 and IBS/FIA which I believe is Bank of America $15,000. These are the 2 I am worried about. I have settled with Wells Fargo for 40% of the balance, so of the money I was able to pull together, I now only have $18,000 left. I called a debt settlement company and named a few creditors..the gentleman told me that Bank of Americal will settle for 15-20% of the balance. Unfortunately, I did not ask about the Providian one. Also, should I wait for the collection agency to call/write or should I try to initiate the settlement before it gets out of hand?

I'm currently going through a settlement myself. When you said you settled 40% with Wells Fargo, are you paying them 40% of your debt? Or are you paying them 60%?
    goldie_9256 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 03:12 PM
    40% of the balance. They have been the best to deal with. The WORST has been Washington Mutual. They insist they can't go below 50% of the balance. Because of this, I have done hardship payments for the next 4 months in hopes that I can try to settle with them in Dec. I would never recommend anyone use WAMU for ANYTHING. They are difficult in every aspect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Effects on Credit with Debt Not Paid at all VS Debt pain in Settlement [ 2 Answers ]

I lost like 140k in a home foreclosure. The first mortgage bank cancelled my debt and sent me 1099c. The second mortgage bank sold the my loan for $102,500.00 to debt collector. Now Saxon mortgage who currently owns my loan, is giving me an offer to settle with $5000. I can't come up with that...

Debt settlement [ 6 Answers ]

I have just entered a dept settlement program and I am really scared. If any one has gone through this can you let me know if it did work. How long it took? My creditors are Chase and Target for approx 60k My fear is being sued. Also how long does the phone calls last from the creditors?

Debt Settlement [ 4 Answers ]

GS Services, on behalf of CitiCard, is offering me a settlement of $9000 for a $13,000 debt. I would have to pay $7000 up front and then $2000 over the next two months. I am thinking about doing it. My other option is to go into a Credit Counseling Service, which would make me pay $331 over the...

Should I do Debt Settlement? [ 34 Answers ]

We are $65,000 in debt, (unsecured credit card debt)!! We have looked into LAWGISTIX AND SUPERIOR FINANCIAL GROUP. We are very hesitant to proceed because we have a credit score in the 700 range. We are current in all of our payments, never late, and in good standing. BUT, it is getting difficult...

Debt settlement [ 1 Answers ]

I signed up for a debt consumber relief group. But the calls are driving me crazy, they don't return my calls and now I'm getting notices in the mail from Lawyers thretening to sue if I don't pay. Has anyone had to deal with this before, I'm scared I'm not sure what to do, I don't have money to...

View more questions Search