Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Motorscooter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 05:56 PM
    What is a veteran
    I am never certain when in a situation where people are asked if they are veterans of military service or just if they are veterans or if they served in the US military what I should say. I have always thought of a veteran as someone who served in the regular military during wartime but on one occasion when I failed to stand as a veteran I found that friends thought I had some lack of pride in service. I have great pride in it just not certain where I fit. I served in the US Army Reserves as a Military Policeman. Was on active duty for only six months plus the time I served in reserves with annual summer camp, monthly drills, etc. Stayed a little longer than requirement because unit officers recommended me for commission as officer. This did not happen. Was alerted for active duty during invasion of Cuba and was leaving with advance party when President announced settlement of missile crisis. So what do I say I am?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Welcome to AMHD and thank you for your service. The answer to your question depends upon the context of the question. Here is an interesting answer: Veteran Benefits
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 7, 2008, 06:37 PM
    A veteran is anyone that has served their country in the military. To the public that is all that they care about. And to be honest while I served 100's of feet down below the ground and all the action I saw was a bar fight in Kanasa at a biker bar. My waiting to turn the key to blow that communist threat away was as much serving as anyone was .
    okweeb Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2012, 02:27 AM
    I served 11 years in the Reserves, did you complete your term in the Reserves? Did you receive a DD 214 upon completion? I also did 20 yrs active duty, so I served in BOTH components. You may be considered a Veteran if you completed over 180 days of active federal service, activated or served during or in a War Zone. Take a look at your DD 214.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone out there able to advise veteran EOD where to fit into civilian work? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I am looking desperately for someone who maybe works in transitioning veterans into civilian lines of work. I have an EOD (bomb disposal) fellow who has 20+ years experience in Army EOD, protected the President, travelled to foreign (hostile) lands, top security clearances, and hands-on...

Disabled veteran garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I Am A 100% Service Connected Disabled Veteran. I Recenty Had A Truck Repo-ed. Now I Get Calls 24/7 About How To Repay The Loan. Amount Bank Says I Owe Is 9000.00. My Question Can My Disability Payments Be Garnished?

Veteran critc [ 1 Answers ]

Who is the veteran critic and broadway columnist who went on to produce or write more than 2 dozen films

Veteran Education [ 1 Answers ]

I am a "Korean Conflict" veteran with a ten percent disability, as well as a "Cal Vet". Does anyone know how I can find out what type of educational benefits I am entitled to? Thanks, Kavanaugh

View more questions Search