Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2006, 11:08 AM
    When do snakes come out of hibernation?
    My kids and I love to catch snakes in the summertime. Some rat snakes and garders but mostly water snakes: Queens and Northerns, which we typically find under rocks in creeks and rivers.

In my area (central ohio) it gets very cold, so I do understand that they hibernate... but I'm not finding any good info on their life cycles that tells me when they come out of hibernation.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2006, 02:17 PM
    Hi,
    We live in the Great Smokey Mountains of VA.
    Snakes cannot maintain their own body temperature, so they depend on warm and cool places to be. If they start feeling warm, they must find a cool place to be, so they can cool off. If they are cold, then conversely, they have to find a warm place.
    They hibernate below the frost line, as in deep crevices in rocks in the mountains, or where ever.
    They usually start coming out here when the frosts are over. Garter snakes usually come out first. When the temperature early in the morning starts staying above around 34 degrees F. it's usually a couple of weeks after that, when it's warmer during the day.
    We haven't reached that yet, with frost still this morning.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2006, 03:37 PM
    Yeah, I was sure it was some point after the last frost, but of course the water in creeks and rivers stays very cold for quite some-time after that... we're not finding any yet. Days are getting warmer round here so I'm eager to get back out and play with some snakes!

Here's the biggie we found from last year, the pic is a neighbor kid who was with us... and very afraid of snakes until we showed him how tame they can be once they get used to being held... he was the proudest kid on the block! :
    http://www.jackson8.com/mohammed.jpg

(That's a Northern Water Snake)
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Mar 27, 2006, 03:45 PM
    When do snakes come out of hibernation? Hopefully never! :) j/k
    But seriously, my understanding is that they come out after the last frost of the season when it's warmer. They do not like the cold. I will probably have to deal with this someday, as I have a son who is just one, but I'm sure my husband will encourage him to look for snakes and when the time comes that he brings one in the house to show mommy, I will try not to scream!! :)
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2006, 04:12 PM
    What state are you in, Cgirl? I'll get you the scoop on the snakes of your area if you like.
    miracle229 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 05:07 PM

Usually snakes come out of hibernation during somewhere about summer or spring
    pickett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
    I live in Alabama and it is February and we have had 2 weeks of warm weather, I am sure the cold will return but will the snakes come out of hybernation for these warm weeks.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2011, 06:52 AM

Some might come out of hibernation if it is too warm for too long... and if it gets real cold again, many of them will die.
    Magnolia75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 10:30 AM
    It is April 7, 2011 in South Western Wisconsin and the snakes are out! Just saw 18 of them in the backyard. Not sure how we feel about it other than we are happy we live on the second floor! Wondering and hoping they don't know how to climb! Just kidding! Very fasinating! Wondering if this is a once in a life time thing or did we just hit it at the right time?
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2011, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia75 View Post
    It is April 7, 2011 in South Western Wisconsin and the snakes are out! Just saw 18 of them in the backyard. Not sure how we feel about it other than we are happy we live on the second floor! Wondering and hoping they don't know how to climb! Just kidding! Very fasinating! Wondering if this is a once in a life time thing or did we just hit it at the right time?
    My guess is that warm weather or sunny days are just hitting you. That's what brings them out of hibernation.

I've learned a lot since first posting this thread: If you will share some pictures, I'll help you identify what they are, if you are interested.
    sevenn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
    I live in Texas and I have been a snake hunter for 10 yrs. I am 19 and I do research on road temps. And elavation etc. we have more of a variety of snakes in Tx. Than in any other state I have also worked at a zoo as a volunteer in the herp department as a kid for 4 yrs. But primarily the climate and weather patterns depends on what snakes will be out either field herping or road cruising rural highways I find a assortment of snakes each time I go which is almost everyday in the summer, for good advice do the research on the exact snake you are finding or looking for in your region to decide when to catch them also use your phone to see what counties in your area have the best weather climate to catch that day do the research and you will find what your looking for half of the time but don't be discouraged if you don't see anything all the time I have gone two weeks strait and not found a thing then randomly one of those days I hit a honey hole any ways I have a lot of info. On what to do or how to find snakes just from experience alone so do the research and who knows maybe you will find what your looking for...
    Kthnx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
    I'm in ilinois and its like may should I start looking for them?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Snakes [ 2 Answers ]

:o I have always wondered when snakes in my area come out of hybernation. I have many leaves to clean up & have been scared by lizards & snakes enough! I live in Bangor, Pa. Can someone answer my question? Thank you for your time with this request! Wendy ;D ;D ;D ;D

Snakes [ 4 Answers ]

What type of snakes would you find in the Jungles in South America? Which ones wrap themselves around and suffocate their prey?

Snakes [ 5 Answers ]

We live on 10 acres and are currently living in a camper trailer while we renovate our home. We have garter snakes and I am terrified of them, so much so that I won't leave the camper during the day unless absolutely necessary. (I know that they are harmless and eat mice etc. etc. but suppose...

Can snakes climb walls [ 4 Answers ]

Help!! Do snakes climb up walls? I live in an apartment on the outskirts of Rome and I need to know if I can open my windows!! Thank you for your help!!

View more questions Search